Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budapest

• 19-01-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Heading over for 4 days in February, wondering if anyone has been and what they'd recommend to do! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

I was there for a couple days in February a few years back.

I loved Budapest, its a very walk-able city so would recommend a free walking tour if that's your cup of tea, definitely go to one of the outdoor thermal baths. This is the one I went to, its a great way to relax and is amazing if you've had to much Hungarian beer the night before!

Check out a 'Ruin' bar or whatever they're called. Looks like a crack den from outside but can be really cool and cheap pubs to drink in.

Oh and bring a good jacket, February can be chilly enough!

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Was there myself in November a couple of years ago. Cool city, would pretty much +1 on everything lc180 has said. Think I was in the same baths (looks like them anyway!) and definitely a great way to spend a morning/afternoon after a night on the booze!

Also the ruin pubs have a great vibe, there's a great one called Szimpla that I'd highly recommend and there's also a cool bar on a boat, I think it's called A38, and also there's a rooftop bar on the top floor of an old building but it's name escapes me.

There's a shooting club called Celeritas that is pretty pricey but very fun and worth it.

Also a trip to the top of Gelart hill is well worth it, gives amazing views of the city (would recommend getting a taxi up and then walking back towards to city, taxis are dirt cheap).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Great city.
    Baths, chain bridge, castle, palace etc.
    Nice people, good beer, great goulash.
    Was there in December -5, beautiful.
    Margaret Island is in the middle of the Danube, the hotel on it is where Carlos the Jackel hid out in the 70s/80s when half the World was looking for the naughty boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 fork_handle

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Great city.
    Baths, chain bridge, castle, palace etc.
    Nice people, good beer, great goulash.
    Was there in December -5, beautiful.
    Margaret Island is in the middle of the Danube, the hotel on it is where Carlos the Jackel hid out in the 70s/80s when half the World was looking for the naughty boy.

Hungarians are not at all friendly

The Hungarians I met were sound.
    Maybe its my sparkling personality !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Went here myself last summer, going again this year. ;)

There's so many nice things; you could walk up Gellart Hill, I would say it's a 30 minute walk or so. There was markets set up at the top of the hill, although it could be different mid Spring.
    We also hired out bikes; it may sound boring but we explored a lot more of Budapest,
    City Park is a must. Again because it's mid Spring, the lake at the entrance is transformed into an ice skating rink, in summer it was a lake with rowing boats. Budapest Zoo is also located in City Park, along with Heroes Square.
    Visit some ruin pubs; we didn't *regretfully* but will be this time around. I think they're mainly located around District V11.
    We also did a cruise ride up the Danube; you receive a drink of your choice and a guide speaks about the history of Budapest.

Of course, food and drink here is very affordable with a range of places to fine in. Depending on your budget, you could find a place that costs 5 euro a meal, or if you want more, up to 45 euro for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Gally05

Is there anything that needs to be watched out ? I hear the taxi drivers can be a bit of a con ?
    Heading over next thurday for 4 nights , cant wait

Gally05 wrote: »
    Is there anything that needs to be watched out ? I hear the taxi drivers can be a bit of a con ?
    Can you name many cities where they're not ?

I always factor in extra cash when travelling for rip-off taxi drivers, pick-pockets and corrupt cops. And thats only in Ireland !!

Dont worry, you'll have a great time.

very true when I think about it really.

Im just wondering in relation to the Spa's do they need to be booked in advance

Im just wondering in relation to the Spa's do they need to be booked in advance
    No, we just walked in off the street.

Went to the big one (cant remember name) up in the park behind Heroes Square.

• Advertisement

Heading over next thurday for 4 nights , cant wait

We were told not to get taxis off the street but to ring from our hostel and they had a specific number they quoted so as not to get ripped off. Check out this for more info: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/hungary/budapest/travel-tip_1948956.html

Another guide here: http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Travel-g274887-c167515/Budapest:Hungary:A.Tip.Budapest.Taxi.Fares.And.Advice.html

Personally I'd stick with always ordering them, I think picking taxis off the street isn't as common as over here and you're far more likely to get ripped off. Stick their numbers in your phone if you're getting a taxi after a night out I'd say.

Pretty sure you never have to book spas in advance. Think I was at the same spa and it's fantastic.

Stojkovic wrote: »
    No, we just walked in off the street.

Went to the big one (cant remember name) up in the park behind Heroes Square.

Gellert Baths ??

Pretty sure the ones I went to were called Széchenyi Baths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

How expensive is it? How much money would one be looking at bringing for 4/5 days? Not heading over to have 3 course meals every night mind you, more to take the city in have a wander about and a night out or 2!!

SRFC90 wrote: »
    How expensive is it? How much money would one be looking at bringing for 4/5 days? Not heading over to have 3 course meals every night mind you, more to take the city in have a wander about and a night out or 2!!

Very cheap.
    €500 is loads for 4/5 days.
    Think I spent about €150 in 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hungarians are not at all friendly

That was not my experience. I found them very nice. OP if you have time to spare and are interested in history Szentender and Esztergom are worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, I was at the baths in the park behind Heroes square. Wandered up by myself. It's quite inexpensive compared to here.

They do a City Bike scheme nowadays too.

http://www.budapestcitybikes.com/

There's a bus from the airport to a subway/metro station. #200 iirc. You endorse your own ticket on the bus and there were often ticket checkers at the entrance to subway stations. (it works for the subway to the city centre off the bus, btw)

it's gorgeous. Can't wait to make a return trip. Have fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Quick question, how much on average do people pay to fly to Budapest from Dublin, im booking for later in year and getting 222e Per person on Aerlingus.
    Is that about right?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

grimm2005 wrote: »
    There's a shooting club called Celeritas that is pretty pricey but very fun and worth it.

Was over for a few days in November and this was a definite highlight! Great fun! Even the missus had a blast.

Ruin pubs are worth a look. Szimpla Kert as mentioned is packed with backpacker/tourist types but interesting nonetheless and their potent cocktails are tasty and reasonably cheap by Western European standards. A38 is great if there's any decent gigs on, check the listings when you arrive.

We happened upon an amazing dessert buffet in the Marriot Hotel after coming down from a long walk up around the Castle hill. It was awesome. All you can eat top quality cakes, ice cream, biscuits and pastries, and the kicker... free champagne. All for around a tenner!!

A cruise on the river is super touristy but kinda has to be done too - unmissable views all along the way.

Unfortunately the days didn't work out for us to get to one, but they run club nights once a month at the spa up by hero square, even all through the Winter. Looked like a very unique way to spend a night out!

Didn't explore the Buda side of the river very much except for the castle hill area so may have to plan a return trip in the future! :)

BKWDR wrote: »
    Quick question, how much on average do people pay to fly to Budapest from Dublin, im booking for later in year and getting 222e Per person on Aerlingus.
    Is that about right?
    Thanks

We paid €150rtn for 2 in November.

• Advertisement

tibor wrote: »
    We paid €150rtn for 2 in November.

150e return for two people? So 75 each?!?!?!

150e return for two people? So 75 each?!?!?!

Ooops. Checked again, looks like we booked the flights separately, 150 out, 100 back so your 220 looks good! Sorry if I gave you a shock there! :)

tibor wrote: »
    Ooops. Checked again, looks like we booked the flights separately, 150 out, 100 back so your 220 looks good! Sorry if I gave you a shock there! :)

Ha was thinking i'd actually nabbed a bargain then nearly vomited when i saw your email!

Thanks for clarification!

Is that about right?
    Thanks

I paid about €65 with Ryanair back in November 2012.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I paid about €65 with Ryanair back in November 2012.

Ah on a sale, i don't mind that, that's pure luck of the draw kinda stuff, i just didnt want to think i was being shafted!
    In saying that when i got home, i had an email from aerlingus telling me the summer sale had started....YUP....same flights, 50e cheaper!!! :mad:

Ah on a sale, i don't mind that, that's pure luck of the draw kinda stuff, i just didnt want to think i was being shafted!
    In saying that when i got home, i had an email from aerlingus telling me the summer sale had started....YUP....same flights, 50e cheaper!!! :mad:

Well it was the usual Ryanair up and down scenario, I wasn't sure if I was going or not when the price was set at €90 but when it came down to €65 I was sold. It was never over €90 though. This was about 3 weeks before the trip. I read an article recently that apparently on average the best price for a short haul flight is 5 weeks before departure. Again just an average but I think it's probably accurate enough based on past purchases, it certainly applies to Ryanair anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lojanus

New vibe besides the ruin pubs is the festivals - like Sziget, Balaton Sound and Spring festival. Lots of pub crawling and bachelor parties (even hen parties mainly from the UK). Also you can try the cruise boats on Danube - they run on a schedule and on weekdays you can use your daily public transport passes to travel them.

Advertisement