Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Ideas

• 19-01-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning to do work on my back garden. At the moment it has a raised lawn (not in great condition) and height of this from footpath is 10cm.
    I also often get a build up of water and leaves on path between house wall and lawn as there is no drain present for that water to go.

Any recommendations or design suggestions? I am thinking of removing the 10cm height of soil and levelling the whole area. Then maybe putting down a patio area and reduce lawn size.
    However, all this would have to be done by shovel/wheelbarrow and no idea what to do with all the soil.

Any one got any suggestions or advice? Much appreciated!
    Thanks.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5
    Image 6
    Image 7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning to do work on my back garden. At the moment it has a raised lawn (not in great condition) and height of this from footpath is 10cm.
    I also often get a build up of water and leaves on path between house wall and lawn as there is no drain present for that water to go.

Any recommendations or design suggestions? I am thinking of removing the 10cm height of soil and levelling the whole area. Then maybe putting down a patio area and reduce lawn size.
    However, all this would have to be done by shovel/wheelbarrow and no idea what to do with all the soil.

Any one got any suggestions or advice? Much appreciated!
    Thanks.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3
    Image 4
    Image 5
    Image 6
    Image 7

Would it not be easier and better to remove kerbing and raise the path/patio levels by laying slabs onto existing concrete? Run-off from patio is easily tackled by digging a trench 500mm along patio and back fill with 350mm coarse gravel stone and top with 150 mm soil, this will ensure no damp areas at end of patio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

what way is the garden facing,can you get a small digger in,i would get trid of the small stones they look ugly

the pebbles,the grass needs fertilizer it looks nearly dead

you need to plant some trees

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/rooms/outdoors/garden-design-ideas

http://www.housetohome.co.uk/garden

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

what way is the garden facing,can you get a small digger in,i would get trid of the small stones they look ugly

the pebbles,the grass needs fertilizer it looks nearly dead

you need to plant some trees

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/rooms/outdoors/garden-design-ideas

http://www.housetohome.co.uk/garden

Hi,
    Garden facing NE. Not possible to get small digger in I'm afraid.
    I have tried lawn fertiliser on the grass many times but it does not seem to help.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

no matter where you are during winter, with the wind and rain, the leaves go everywhere anyway, and usually lodge somewhere such as is happening to you,
    as for the wet or water everywhere is waterlogged, so that water is only coming from the raised lawn,
    i always have to scrub with a bit of bleach and washing up liquid and leave it on overnight, do that pat and kerbing, then the following day it will look good after a good wash through,
    places get green mossy and black looking during winter anyway as the sun is so low in sky and shorter daylight hours, does not get to the walled in, once a year i give everything a good old scrub, in april, and then for christmas,
    if you want change, the idea you have seems to be the right one, at least the water will not be running onto path,

Advertisement