Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert accounting question

• 19-01-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Can anyone tell me why in the 2013 incomplete records the question says that a $72000 loan is being paid off in 12 equal instalments that become due on the 1st of January and yet the amount due is $12000 not $6000. Or even why its included at all since the balance sheet is for the 31st? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

There's nothing in the question that shows that the first instalment had been paid. Hence, assume it hasn't been. I don't understand the second question: the loan instalments haven't been paid, as was agreed. Had they been, the amount would have been incorporated as a credit in Bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

All I know is that 2 installments are due for the year, that's why it's €12000 instead of €6000. As regards the balance sheet question, I'm not sure. I just took everything as it was to try not confuse myself further :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chelliam1

What I mean to say is that the loan repayments don't commence until the first of 2013 when the account is on the last day of 2012. Why would both instalments be due, does one not become due the next day and the other in six months time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

chelliam1 wrote: »
    What I mean to say is that the loan repayments don't commence until the first of 2013 when the account is on the last day of 2012. Why would both instalments be due, does one not become due the next day and the other in six months time?

I'm blushing - I misread the question!

It's because Current Liabilities is 'Creditors: amounts falling due in less than one year' - and, as you said, the second instalment is due in six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 chelliam1

thanks, that makes perfect sense now! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement