Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water meters

Options
  • 19-01-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Have any water meters been fitted in the county yet ?.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Not yet... Hope we just get forgotten about. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nationalist today said they would start putting them after Saint Patrick's day and they would all be in by the end of July this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mad_fluffy

Today i noticed in a village outside of Mallow town called Ballyclough the residents really facilitated water meter installers by moving there cars so meters could be fitted easily. Not one sign of anyone protesting or complaining.
    Why has everyone else gone to all the trouble of travelling to support protesters all over the country marching in ice cold wet weather to try stop all this from happening if the likes of these people lend a hand to the installers. Meters are about to be installed all around Mallow in the coming days, people should get off there arses and object to this .... Dont stand by and let the few dedicated protesters do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The council/irish water dug up and repaired a water meter outside last November but they left all the traffic cones and rubbish behind them! I have contacted both the council and Irish Water but neither group has acted to get this crap removed from outside.

I have also not received any water pack from either group and this is required to register afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

mad_fluffy wrote: »
    Today i noticed in a village outside of Mallow town called Ballyclough the residents really facilitated water meter installers by moving there cars so meters could be fitted easily. Not one sign of anyone protesting or complaining.
    Why has everyone else gone to all the trouble of travelling to support protesters all over the country marching in ice cold wet weather to try stop all this from happening if the likes of these people lend a hand to the installers. Meters are about to be installed all around Mallow in the coming days, people should get off there arses and object to this .... Dont stand by and let the few dedicated protesters do it.

Maybe people agree with the meters been installed. And think people that marched in cold wet weather are abit silly as not filling out the form or sending them back would have more of an effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I'm with iano.P on this one.

I for one agree with the installation of water meters and think that ultimately, long term we will benefit as a nation.

The mantra that "No Way, We Won't Pay" and saying "Irish Water will be free"? Fair enough; but the infrastructure has to be paid for that delivers it to your abode, that takes waste water away and treats both.

For the "We Won't Pay" crowd who're also scaremongering about privatisation, many of the same people already pay for their water by buying it in local corner shops, convenience stores, supermarkets etc. Slightly hypocritical? Or the definition of irony?

I can see the other side too obviously and financially it's been a disaster and from a P.R. p.o.v. it's been poorly delivered with such a long lead in time that's given the sizeable, vocal minority time to circle their wagons.

There also seems to have been a lack of planning regarding metering to a large extent.

But this thing about Rent a Crowd, Rent a Mob and then giving grief to GMC Sierra employees, boycotting Topaz Petrol Stations (incl. regular pickets on the ones here in Carlow Town thereby endangering employment) and calling our President a Midget Parasite along with haranguing local FG Councillors as happened at the December monthly meeting (one county councillor had his door interfered with by a chap who assaulted his ex-partner; if he had managed to open it, what was the plan ultimately? Or was he simply playing up to the gallery?) needs to stop.

I've seen plenty of videos of wanton aggression at Protest Marches etc. and people saying AGS're under Denis O'Briens thumb etc.

If you bring aggression to the party (Peaceful Protest my thóin; majority of what I've seen there's been provocation directed at the installers and AGS either on or off site including following them home, blockading them in their vans etc.; there'd be no need for AGS presence if these "Protesters" weren't so aggressive be it verbally or otherwise) then you've got to expect it back.

The Can't Pay chants or refrain infuriate me; they're liars & hypocrites. Same types go to a meeting in a community centre here & pay a fiver; then go to a pub in the town to a fundraiser where they've plenty of moolah to put behind the bar.

It's becoming more than a campaign for some, for me it's like fundraising "the cause" and all that such a phrase entails for those of us of a certain generation (who also disagreed with "the cause"!).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mad_fluffy

Hi the infrastructure you talk about could have been paid for with all the money spent on the installation of all these meters , this money received to install all these meters came from the road tax fund, and all other taxes paid by the people of this country. Im not objecting to paying for water. I seriously believe every citizen in this country would willingly pay for water nothing is free.
    If every household were to pay €100 per year it would be much more acceptable and more affordable for people on tight budget..Not everyone you describe pays a fiver and go to the pub that is a very unfair comment... there are people who genuinely cannot afford a fiver.Where does this all stop.. the price being asked for water now will eventually soar and the contribution offered by the government will i have no doubt be removed as soon as the next budget. You and everyone else has already paid for this water in taxes , why do you want to pay for it again. ? I dont agree with the president being called names , but i have no sympathy for him either. He signed Irish water into law without giving one person a single taught. There has been millions of euro wasted yet again by this government .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You and everyone else has already paid for this water in taxes , why do you want to pay for it again. ?

Have you still got the water you paid for? Or did you piss it (literally) up against a wall, wash your car, wash your dishes etc with it? Water isn't something you paid for and then it doesn't cost anything anymore. €1.3B (iirc) was put in to providing water a year at the last count. For that €1.3b (that's a lot more than the €100 per household you suggest btw) they've just about managed to supply everyone with what they need and the infrastructure is crumbling.

Meters allow a fair system of everyone paying for what they use. How can that not be the fairest system? They also make finding the leaks that are costing huge amount infinitely easier. Also, with a flat fee theres no incentive for people to conserve water at all. Sure your paying the same amount for it, may as well get your monies worth. Costs the same to wash your car ever week as every month. Should the guy with a 10 bed mansion with a swimming pool and 15 toilets pay the same as a family in a 2 bed council flat?

He signed Irish water into law without giving one person a single taught. .
    What do you think he should have done and what could he legally have done differently? Presumably you've researched it before reaching you opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I live in Graiguecullen and the water is beyond bad.

Gone to the point now where we have to use a strainer for the kettle to prevent limescale getting in tea! It eats kettles...

Shower has to be cleared of the stuff every few weeks or it trickles to a halt.

I'd have no problem paying for water if all this was fixed but I've asked Irish Water and they said they've no plans to do anything for the area so they can feck off!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ours is in since December, just outside Carlow Town near Hanover.

• Advertisement
Advertisement