Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road trip must haves?

• 19-01-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm in the process of planning a relatively short trip from Galway to Germany, via ferry to Cherbourg and I am trying to travel as light as possible, I wanted some advice from anyone who has done a trip like this on what is a "must" to pack, so any advice would be awesome ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm in the process of planning a relatively short trip from Galway to Germany, via ferry to Cherbourg and I am trying to travel as light as possible, I wanted some advice from anyone who has done a trip like this on what is a "must" to pack, so any advice would be awesome ;)

A credit card and a toothbrush ? Actually i've no idea what to pack i'm just jealous i'm not doing it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Depending on the condition of your chain, do you expect it to slacken significantly over that distance? If so you will need to bring the appropriate tools.

Can of chain lube.

Map and a few basic translations for phrases you might need.

Since your traveling through France they have some rules about what a your supposed to carry. I don't remember these off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Tool kit, spare fuses/bulbs, tire plugs, torch.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

chrismon wrote: »
    Tool kit, spare fuses/bulbs, tire plugs, torch.

Cheers lads, im wondering are there specific requirements for certain countries? I heard off of someone that you need one of those "im broke down" reflective triangles when you're in france are there any other things like this that are necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think that only applies for cars in France but not really sure. They also require that you have a breathalyzer in your car but no idea if that applies to motorbikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think that only applies for cars in France but not really sure. They also require that you have a breathalyzer and reflective vest within easy reach in your car but no idea if that applies to motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AFAIK the breathalyser has been dropped in France. No harm carrying a high viz. You need spare bulbs. Gaffer tape and cable ties are essential. Some countries require you to carry spare glasses if you need them for driving / riding. Make sure you're bikes tool kit is fully stocked and you have the tools to open any big Nuts which aren't in the tool kit. A puncture repair kit is useful.

The less gear you carry the better. Since it's to a modern country you can buy everything you need so just pack a few spare clothes, be careful of weekends as shops aren't open in some areas on Sundays or late in the evening.

Make sure that everything on the bike will last longer than the trip. If the tyres have 1000km left change them, chain getting tired change it. Fully serviced before heading off.

Cheers lads, im wondering are there specific requirements for certain countries? I heard off of someone that you need one of those "im broke down" reflective triangles when you're in france are there any other things like this that are necessary?

I heard about needing reflective round stickers for your helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Here ya go: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html

Scroll down and select country and you can print off a .pdf (check p.3 of the one for France/Monaco).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Hi there,

out of interest when are you leaving ?

Cheers guys for all the info, much appreciated, think I'll be skipping on those stickers for the helmet tho ;)
    Notch000 wrote: »
    out of interest when are you leaving ?

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks... provided no snow storms change my plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Most have already been mentioned. Some more: spare key, disc lock, insurance docs, bike owner docs, damp cloth for visor (bugs?)...

For france you need full set of spare bulbs (except for LED lights), 2 breathalyzers, and some hi-vizzy crap on your helmet/clothing, apparently. See: http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/motorbike-touring/france ...

The breathalyzer fine has been dropped/indefinitely postponed -- but it is still a legal requirement to carry one; your choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

Here is a cheat sheet I use, you might need a Gold Wing if you packed everything on it, however.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Cheers guys for all the info, much appreciated, think I'll be skipping on those stickers for the helmet tho ;)

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks... provided no snow storms change my plans.

cool, just thought you were one of these fancy boys who plans a weekend away 6 months in advance.

What you really need:

tootbrush, lynx shower in a can, jocks, socks, passport, Credit card, some change for tolls, waterproofs, spare gloves, viz vest, somehting to clean visor with, driving liscence, log book, proof of insurance, breakdown insurance, appropiate travel insurance, chain lube, chain tools & engine oil(dep on bikes needs), Locks, phone, charger, map of europe or GPS

Its probably going to be cold so bring a few layers & waterproofs.

+ what ever you need for you holiday itself.

Its only a long days ride on motorway or two nice days with a stop over depending where your destination is, so not much more that a long spin, dont read too much into it. A few pints on the ferry should help you sleep

you dont need helmet stickers or a warning triangle, but should have a breathaliser pack for france, i never bothered tho, rip off on ferry. Think you need to carry a viz vest in most countries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're doing a lot of motorway travelling I'd get a few sets of disposable earplugs.
    mcquill wrote: »
    Here is a cheat sheet I use, you might need a Gold Wing if you packed everything on it, however.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html
    I'll never forget my extra bra and swimsuit now :pac:
    Handy site though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you're doing a lot of motorway travelling I'd get a few sets of disposable earplugs.

I'll never forget my extra bra and swimsuit now :pac:
    Handy site though!

Yeah, and not EVERYBODY wants safe sex either ffs!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, and not EVERYBODY wants safe sex either ffs!!!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Pamela Handerson doesn't care if you practice safe sex :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

As of Spring 2012, all vehicles driving in France are required to have a breathalyzer on board.

In order to comply, it is essential the breathalyzer complies with French Law and is NF (French Laboratory) approved.

There are numerous companies selling 'approved' breathalyzers.

Most of these devices are not compliant with French Law and will not be accepted by French Police, you will be fined...I found this out the hard way :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just avoid France ffs.....lol.

• Advertisement

MonstaMash wrote: »
    As of Spring 2012, all vehicles driving in France are required to have a breathalyzer on board.

In order to comply, it is essential the breathalyzer complies with French Law and is NF (French Laboratory) approved.

There are numerous companies selling 'approved' breathalyzers.

Most of these devices are not compliant with French Law and will not be accepted by French Police, you will be fined...I found this out the hard way :mad:

When were you fined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

rat_race wrote: »
    When were you fined?
    Last summer coming off a ferry from Corsica.

Those French seem a bit crazy about it alright, I noticed in Halfords they are selling those breath alcohol testers, not too expensive i think, its just crazy hassle to go to for fear of being fined. Those damn helmet stickers seem to be a big deal too but they're pretty difficult to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Dont get caught out in france by arriving on a sunday. You'll find mcdonalds and big motorway service stations are all thats open.

as stated, yellow jacket/hi vis, torch, triangle. Not sure of the breathalyser is still needed, or indeed of it ever was for bikes. In fairness ive large panniers so these wouldn't really affect my luggage space too much.

Keys for nuts/bolts, screwdriver flat and Philips head. These all fit under my saddle. Lastly, I have a tank bag which is handy for putting a map and a pile of change into for any tolls.

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Last summer coming off a ferry from Corsica.

How much was the fine? From all the reading I did it was not much more than the cost of the breathalysers.

Stupid law any way. If you breathalyse yourself and find your Ok to drive you can't as you don't have a breathalyser.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How much was the fine? From all the reading I did it was not much more than the cost of the breathalysers.

Stupid law any way. If you breathalyse yourself and find your Ok to drive you can't as you don't have a breathalyser.

You're meant to carry two for that reason... :)

But it is a stupid law...yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

May sound stupid but a good strong litre bottle with a good secure lid, incase you run out of juice miles from services.

Yeah Trebob, I was in town earlier today looking for one and I saw the MSR fuel can its a liter and it costs around €20, it seems to be used quite a bit by guys touring. looks like this:
    msr-fuel-bottle-2009.jpg

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »
    You're meant to carry two for that reason... :)

But it is a stupid law...yep!

You carry 2 use 1 have 1 left, law broken if you drive as the law was to carry 2.

Advertisement