Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double barrel name on new passport

Options
  • 19-01-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I have to get my passport renewed as it's been out of date for almost a year. I'm 19 and have started going as a double barrel name (my mother's surname and my father's) as both are on my birth certificate and that's what my mom intended us to have.
    However when it came to registering for schools and such she thought that a double barrel name would be too much hassle, we would get bullied (:confused: ????) so all of us went with our father's surname.

Not getting in to the enormous hassle it was explaining this in college when I wanted to register with both names but my CAO application only had the one, when I renew the passport is there anything I have to do to get both names there? Deed poll? Once I change the passport I can make sure the bank has that (I'm registered to vote with the double barrel name) so I want to get this sorted soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

You'll have to have proof of two years of usage to get any name other than your birth name on your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Holsten wrote: »
    You'll have to have proof of two years of usage to get any name other than your birth name on your passport.

But for the OP, the surname of the child is not on the birth cert, they only started that about ten years ago.

If the birth cert name is "John Smith-Smith" then there is no problem.

If it's "John Smith" and you want "John Smith-Smith", you'll need to have proof that you've been using that name for at least the past two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Ah I see, interesting! Didn't know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Yeah, my sister's birth cert has no second name at all. Mine as [name] [middle name] [mother's maiden name] [father's surname], so all names I want to use are on the cert.
    So I shouldn't run in to problems if I submit the application with the double barrel name on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭hairyairyfairy

Similar problem
    the name that I and my siblings use is our middle name on our birth certs
    My original passport had my full names on it and on new passport just wanted to use my normal name (which is my middle name)
    Passport returned and would not accept my name change eventhough it is included on the original passport and the new application had a copy of my marriage cert and all my childrens' birth certs (passports for everyone) which all clearly show that I go by and sign all documentation using my second middle name but they would not accept them as proof that I use this as my normal name
    they required bank statements or revenue correspondence but would not accept important documents like kids' birth certs etc
    ended up keeping the passport as it is with all the names on it
    so you need to be able to prove that use the double barrel surname for revenue and banking purposes (and given your age you may not be able to do that) so best ring them up!!

Advertisement