Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting money to NZ

• 19-01-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey, I am moving to NZ in a few weeks and I want to move my money over too.

I lived over there before so I have bank accounts etc already open. However, I remember when I used to live there, that when I sent money from NZ to Ireland, I would be charged a set fee by Kiwibank, but when the money arrived in my Irish account there would be a third party bank charge deducted. From enquiries I made to Kiwibank, they were unable to tell me how the 'in between' bank charged its fees or how much it would be.

Back then I would have been sending between 150 - 200 Euro back but I have a few thousand to bring with me to NZ and I am afraid of losing a good chunk of the money if I go with an electronic transfer.

I could get a bank draft and bring it over but I could be waiting a while for that to clear in my NZ bank account.

Could anyone advise the safest/cheapest way to get money over ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Toyota 1976

try IBAN OR BIC oNTERNATIONAL account number bank identifer code did it in aus, it still costs money though and there is a 3 party charge looked into in a bit more, and it for some reason Dutchese bank sorry german bank they charge different rates for different amounts, and cash and cheques but there nearly gone, prob best off transferring a large amount than small amounts as it mounts up NZ to euro rate is poor or was poor though western union rob you though dont bring it in a bag as they tax u and prob get in trouble for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've done it (FX transfer) many times from Irl to NZ recently and vice versa when paying for the wedding. Generally to receive money into my NZ account I don't pay fees and fees to send in Ireland were 25eur. To send from here is about $15-25, I can't remeber exactly.

That's with BOI and TSB / BNZ

There shouldn't be any variable element to the transfer fees, jsut the varying FX rate

For large amounts - $10+ I would look at using an FX company, we went through TorFX but there are many more out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Use paypal.

Advertisement