Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP, I need advice

• 19-01-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello All, I bought an RBZ Taylormade last Tuesday in American Golf for €159 on Tuesday, after hitting it in the driving bay, I liked the feel of it and assured by the sales attendant that it was the club for me from the results on the swing monitor. I previously used G10 which worked great and I drove straight but felt I needed a change. I played 18 on Friday and 18 this morning, set myself up the same as my previous driver but for hole after hole I keep hitting it from very left to right which I did not do with my G10. I moved the ball back in my stance today and it helped marginally but still losing a lot of yards, I am of going back to American Golf with it, what should I do and how much of a hit financially do you reckon I will incur. I would really appreciate your advice and how should I approach this with the shop. Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You could give it a chance?
    In the two rounds you prob have only hit it 20-25 times?

Why not try it at the range for a few sessions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Hello All, I bought an RBZ Taylormade last Tuesday in American Golf for €159 on Tuesday, after hitting it in the driving bay, I liked the feel of it and assured by the sales attendant that it was the club for me from the results on the swing monitor. I previously used G10 which worked great and I drove straight but felt I needed a change. I played 18 on Friday and 18 this morning, set myself up the same as my previous driver but for hole after hole I keep hitting it from very left to right which I did not do with my G10. I moved the ball back in my stance today and it helped marginally but still losing a lot of yards, I am of going back to American Golf with it, what should I do and how much of a hit financially do you reckon I will incur. I would really appreciate your advice and how should I approach this with the shop. Thank You.

Did ya try setting it to the Upright setting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What shaft was in the old driver and what shaft is in the new driver? You could just be having a couple of off days too!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

Sorry but you will incur a financial hit for the full amount and rightly so . Unless the driver is defective/unfit for purpose then you don't have a leg to stand on. You are not entitled to a credit note/full or partial refund because you can't use the damn thing! the driver is now a second hand one and not much use to American golf!

rooney30 wrote: »
    Sorry but you will incur a financial hit for the full amount and rightly so . Unless the driver is defective/unfit for purpose then you don't have a leg to stand on. You are not entitled to a credit note/full or partial refund because you can't use the damn thing! the driver is now a second hand one and not much use to American golf!

Wow.....bit harsh man.
    They will treat it as a trade in and value it accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 super saints

Thanks all for your prompt replies, the RBZ has a stiff shaft like my last driver, I did not realise I could set it to an upright 'upright setting', if I went into a stockist or pro shop would they have an implement to adjust it, apologies for my ignorance but the last time I bought a driver the G10 was a baby ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks all for your prompt replies, the RBZ has a stiff shaft like my last driver, I did not realise I could set it to an upright 'upright setting', if I went into a stockist or pro shop would they have an implement to adjust it, apologies for my ignorance but the last time I bought a driver the G10 was a baby ha

You can only adjust the rbz on the tour version, the standard rbz is not adjustable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

Most likely gear effect from hitting off the toe, a set up issue maybe, exagerated by the weighting of the driver if it's set for draw bias.

One thing is for sure if you hit it out of the centre with your usual swing it won't draw, it's not the club.

EDIT: Sorry, you said left to right. Same issue just off the heel, but more likely your swing has a bit more out to in and with the Driver this always exagerates due to ball position.

Not the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can only adjust the rbz on the tour version, the standard rbz is not adjustable.
    The RBZ driver and the Stage 2 can be adjusted, there is a bonded version of the RBZ that cannot be.

Are you thinking of the woods in RBZ? I think on those only the tour is adjustable iirc

Yes I have the bonded version dan, so unable to adjust the settings.

John Divney, you could well be 100% right! just that I am consistent and straight with a driver and Since I started using the RBZ I have not hit even one drive straight on the couple of rounds I have played with it

• Advertisement

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    The RBZ driver and the Stage 2 can be adjusted, there is a bonded version of the RBZ that cannot be.

Are you thinking of the woods in RBZ? I think on those only the tour is adjustable iirc

Yeah was thinking if fairway woods

Yes I have the bonded version dan, so unable to adjust the settings.

John Divney, you could well be 100% right! just that I am consistent and straight with a driver and Since I started using the RBZ I have not hit even one drive straight on the couple of rounds I have played with it

Sometimes when I have a bad striking day with my irons I start wondering if they're wrong for me then I remember on a good day I feel quite good with them.

Could it be a case your nervous after spending the money that ot was a waste etc thats putting you off?

Try hitting a basket at the range, your game could come back with more attemps and less pressure.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Sometimes when I have a bad striking day with my irons I start wondering if they're wrong for me then I remember on a good day I feel quite good with them.

Could it be a case your nervous after spending the money that ot was a waste etc thats putting you off?

Try hitting a basket at the range, your game could come back with more attemps and less pressure.

Thanks dan, I will hit the range tomorrow after work and see if that will make a difference. Will let you know how I get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Dbu

I also bought the Talypormade RBZ driver over a year ago as well.
    Couldnt hit the thing at all afterwards, tried every setting under the sun and in the end gave in.
    I changed back to the ping I had previously.
    I still have the 3 and the 5 wood which are brilliant clubs but the driver and myself didnt get on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭benny79

Do You reckon its the machines in the store? I never really trust them, cause your wild shots never seem that bad on them, just off the fairway where as you know if you were on the course it be 2 fairways over!
    After all they're trying to make a sale. Always best to get fitted on a range IMO.

benny79 wrote: »
    Do You reckon its the machines in the store? I never really trust them, cause your wild shots never seem that bad on them, just off the fairway where as you know if you were on the course it be 2 fairways over!
    After all they're trying to make a sale. Always best to get fitted on a range IMO.

I certainly do not have a single figure handicap or have a swing to die for but I generally am consistent off the tee box, when using the RBZ in the shop the sales guy was showing me on his 'magic box' how well I was hitting it, SO THE MACHINE SAID, but as soon as I got on a golf course I consistently hit it left to right, landing it on the fairways parallel to the one I am trying to hit, further more I am hitting my irons very well, so it's not that my game is poor at the moment.

I had planned to go to the range after work this evening but unfortunately things did not work out, I will get to one tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

Try hitting it at 80% power (to start with).
    Other things to try is to have the ball opposite the left toe at address.
    I wouldn't panic just yet. It takes a while to get used to a new club.

Just back from the driving range, after a bucket of balls, moving the ball in my stance and changing the pace of my swing, I am no better off since I started this thread. Hope I don't take too much of a hit financially when I bring back this RBZ .

Just back from the driving range, after a bucket of balls, moving the ball in my stance and changing the pace of my swing, I am no better off since I started this thread. Hope I don't take too much of a hit financially when I bring back this RBZ .

Well at least you gave it more of an attempt it may look better for you when returning it.

Worst comes to worst you should be able to at least trade it in against something else in store.

This proves my point that the machines in store are not correct and just help with sale! I have gone through 2 drivers now where on the machine was hitting it great once purchased and played on course total different story and have got lessons since they have slightly limited the damage but my orginal Driver was much easier to hit!

currently saving to get propertly fitted in foregolf or the likes, and wont be purchasing anything from that golf store again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭bustercherry

This proves my point that the machines in store are not correct and just help with sale! I have gone through 2 drivers now where on the machine was hitting it great once purchased and played on course total different story and have got lessons since they have slightly limited the damage but my orginal Driver was much easier to hit!

currently saving to get propertly fitted in foregolf or the likes, and wont be purchasing anything from that golf store again.

Did you compare the figures to your original driver when you tried it out?

Did you compare the figures to your original driver when you tried it out?

SADLY No. I was only playing a year or so and didnt really know much about figures, was just told I needed sfiff shaft I had a Reg. Still have nt found a driver as good all be it im only on my second since 4 years later but they are expensive!

What's your swing speed?? If you are using a stiff shaft now and you were hitting them straight with the regular shaft then I would suggest you don't need a stiff shaft!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭bustercherry

SADLY No. I was only playing a year or so and didnt really know much about figures, was just told I needed sfiff shaft I had a Reg. Still have nt found a driver as good all be it im only on my second since 4 years later but they are expensive!

Yeah but how do you know it's better if you don't compare it to the driver you are replacing? None of these machines are accurate but at least if the are giving consistent figures you can compare the figures for both drivers.

If it hasn't gotten that much use, I'd say chance your arm asking for the same club with the regular shaft instead. Most of these guys tend to be reasonable enough as it'll stick in your memory & likely result in repeat business.

It would make sense if the club is too stiff, as your swing speed won't be high enough to get the club face back square at impact.

Yeah but how do you know it's better if you don't compare it to the driver you are replacing? None of these machines are accurate but at least if the are giving consistent figures you can compare the figures for both drivers.

What are you basing this on? the likes of Flight Scope/ Trackman are used the world over by all the leading Brands, when testing and on tour while fitting the Staff players, Titleist at Carton House use a Trackman, BBC used the FlightScope, as the US Broadcasters do at many of the American Events, at the Open Championship for the last couple of years on selected holes to show us ball speed, shape, and distance etc, these systems are also being used by many of the top teachers of the sport to look at the minutest of details. I think to call them not accurate is itself not very accurate.

I think some of you's are getting me mixed up with the OP!

I changed driver from my orginal R7 reg cause I was nt hitting it as well as my swing had improved and was told I needed a stiff shaft, it was cheaper to buy new driver at the time!

My swing speed is 90 mph

The machine's I was talkin about is the one's in golf retail shops (dont want to name names) NOT the likes of cartlon or your local pro

I don't think you need a stiff shaft. Who told you that you did? I would say anything below 95mph is too slow for stiff. That's just my opinion tho.

What kind of machine was it? Were you hitting into a net?

I was told when buying my last 2 drivers, brought my current one to hapenny to get a different shaft and he confirmed i needed a stiff. but told me not to going messing with shafts get a lesson which I have!

just find consistently very hard compared to when I hit my reg flex well.

• Advertisement

I think some of you's are getting me mixed up with the OP!

I changed driver from my orginal R7 reg cause I was nt hitting it as well as my swing had improved and was told I needed a stiff shaft, it was cheaper to buy new driver at the time!

My swing speed is 90 mph

The machine's I was talkin about is the one's in golf retail shops (dont want to name names) NOT the likes of cartlon or your local pro

The 2 big Retailers in Dublin both use FlightScopes, ForeGolf and Titleist use a TrackMan, Couple more lads around the country use them, not too sure if too many Local Pro's have them due to the cost, although they are becoming a bit more affordable.
    I believe Nevada Bobs in Elverys and AG still use the Vector Launch Monitor, (AG may have changed) While these are not as accurate as the Doppler systems a good fitter can still weed out the info he needs to get the right club for the player.
    With golf and many other equipment based sports, we always have to keep in mind the human element.

TRUST ME I understand the human element the indian and arrow come to mine I have got lessons and have improved some what but still struggling for consistently!

would you not agree when your on the machine in AG lets say and you hit a bad shot its not as bad on the screen where as you know if you were on the course it be OOB or 2 fairways over! Im not the only one that thinks this had a few other golfers say it to me.

TRUST ME I understand the human element the indian and arrow come to mine I have got lessons and have improved some what but still struggling for consistently!

would you not agree when your on the machine in AG lets say and you hit a bad shot its not as bad on the screen where as you know if you were on the course it be OOB or 2 fairways over! Im not the only one that thinks this had a few other golfers say it to me.

If we are talking about the Vector, then it can be less accurate as it is image based technology over Doppler, but take a look at the width of the virtual landing area, and look at the number that tells you off line left/right. When I said the human element, I also meant the guy fitting the club, has to use his experience and knowledge to look beyond the image and look at the numbers. But the player has to realize too, that a new club, well fitted or not is not going to make you a more consistent driver of the ball.

Advertisement