Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental and other visa options

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Just looking for some information in case my son who is currently in oz decides to stay there permanently - he is not long there but loves it and is going to try for permanency.

What would our options be for getting a visa. We have no other children so no ties to Ireland really. We are 49 and 51 and I work in the public Sector Hr type work no not strictly.

Could I get a skilled visa
    If son was to get permanent residence is it quick to get a parental visa?
    Any info welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

have a look here
    www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/family-visas-parent.htm
    some text though

Most applicants must be sponsored by their child. The sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years immediately before the application is lodged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Just looking for some information in case my son who is currently in oz decides to stay there permanently - he is not long there but loves it and is going to try for permanency.

What would our options be for getting a visa. We have no other children so no ties to Ireland really. We are 49 and 51 and I work in the public Sector Hr type work no not strictly.

Could I get a skilled visa
    If son was to get permanent residence is it quick to get a parental visa?
    Any info welcome
    I would hold off till he is a bit more settled.

You would be coming out on a pretty pricey visa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you will not like Australia,you could always visit once or twice year

you would be giving up your pension here

http://www.alrc.gov.au/publications/grey-areas%E2%80%94age-barriers-work-commonwealth-laws-ip-41/migration

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks for the replies. I have been ont he site looking at the information but cannot work out how much the fees would be. I understand that the contributory parent visa would mean paying but not sure how much.

I suppose I am really looking to see if anyone has gone down this route and what their experiences are.

My difficulty is that if I wanted to look at the skilled visa myself - even if my profession qualified - I would need to do that before I became 50 which will be 2016.

Sawdoubters - my understanding is if I was to leave work early here my pension is deferred and I would get it when I was 60 no matter where I lived. I would also hope that the government might introduce another early retirement scheme to let me go early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thanks for the replies. I have been ont he site looking at the information but cannot work out how much the fees would be. I understand that the contributory parent visa would mean paying but not sure how much.

Its frightening .......but for both of you to live permanently its about $90,000, if you read section 19j & 19k of the visa pricing table there is some scary figures in there.

but if you want a straight google answer READ THIS

I don't know anyone who has done this but the other option is 13 year wait.

My difficulty is that if I wanted to look at the skilled visa myself - even if my profession qualified - I would need to do that before I became 50 which will be 2016.

Very difficult once you are over 45 since there is no points for age.

you would need

a) IELTS 8.0 for the 20 points,
    b) assuming you have more than 8 years work experience in the last 10 years 15 points
    c) State sponsorship if you can get it ...5 Points

you would be relying on either a PhD degree 20 points or a bachelor degree for 15 points plus Partner skill for 5.

You need min 60 points (ideally more is better)

(489 is out of the question because you will already be over 50 by the time your son qualifies to sponsor you.... even if he did live in a regional area)

• Advertisement

Thanks Mandrake04 - that's a bit of a reality check 90K is a lot of money!

With regard tot he skilled visa requirements - what is IELTS, have about 13 years experience of HR related work though whether it would qualify or not I don't know, have a BA as well. Can you still get it if you are over 50?

Is there some study I could do now that I could go over with?

I have also looked at the article on retirement and it seems as if you have to be an investor of 750K or 500K for regional plus 65k per year to live on.

Maybe I just need to win the lotto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A mate of mine bought his mum over it cost 50000 he also has to pay any medical bills she has.

Thanks Mandrake04 - that's a bit of a reality check 90K is a lot of money!

With regard tot he skilled visa requirements - what is IELTS, have about 13 years experience of HR related work though whether it would qualify or not I don't know, have a BA as well. Can you still get it if you are over 50?

IELTS is English test, you need to score 8.0 in each of the 4 bands. I haven't done it myself but have heard that even for a native english speaker 8.0 is not as easy as it sounds. But it would give you 20 points

13 years of experience 15 points
    BA 15 points

you are 10 points short and I just noticed your partner is over 50 so he/she cannot use their qualifications for the 5 points.

You could try state sponsorship for 5 points but you are still 5 point short.

Have you any qualifications related to your occupation?

is your occupation even on the list?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/sol.pdf

or on the Consolidated list which you will need state sponsorship and possibly now a job offer.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/csol.pdf

best option in ENS 186 direct entry, you just need to find an employer willing to sponsor you for PR before you are 50.

Probably safer sticking with the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Why not the 103 visa?

Sure it can be up to 13 years wait but if your son is set to live there for life then I don't see the issue.

You just can't apply until he's resided in Australia as mentioned above for 2 years and is a PR.

$3555 for you and your sons father and up to 13 years wait. I think that's really your only choice.

Just reading quickly online that people are saying their applications from 2007 are currently being processed. So at present it seems an average of 6-7 year wait. Not 13.

irishmover wrote: »
    Why not the 103 visa?

Sure it can be up to 13 years wait but if your son is set to live there for life then I don't see the issue.

You just can't apply until he's resided in Australia as mentioned above for 2 years and is a PR.

$3555 for you and your sons father and up to 13 years wait. I think that's really your only choice.

Just reading quickly online that people are saying their applications from 2007 are currently being processed. So at present it seems an average of 6-7 year wait. Not 13.

The number of Non-Contributory Parent visas is Capped at 2150 per year and as of 30 June last year had 31,800 waiting.
    Parent
    Non-Contributory Parent

The non-contributory parent category met its 2012-13 planning level of 2150
    places. Demand in the non-contributory parent category increased between 2011-12 and
    2012-13 by 52.1 per cent. Over 31 800 clients remain in the pipeline at 30 June 2013, an
    increase of 9.6 per cent over the program year. This category was capped in 2012-13.

Page 17 http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/pdf/report-on-migration-program-2012-13.pdf

If it is capped as 2150 per year and there is at 31,800 and assuming no one dies of old age its going to take 14.8 years to clear the present backlog which meets the DIBP Charter

http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charters/client-services-charter/visas/5.0.htm
    Parent and Contributory Parent queue: There are a limited number of places available each year for Parent and Contributory Parent category visas. If you are a new applicant for a Parent (non-contributory) visa, you will be queued and can expect an approximate 15 year wait after your queue date has been allocated. If you are a new applicant for a Contributory Parent visa, you can expect to wait 12 to 24 months before visa grant consideration.

• Advertisement

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/199633-no-change-103-a.html

Read post #5. Not saying take it as fact but it atleast gives a glimmer of hope that the figures from immi website aren't correct.

There's an email address to email to on page 2. Anyone interested should maybe email and ask the question.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/199633-no-change-103-a.html

Read post #5. Not saying take it as fact but it atleast gives a glimmer of hope that the figures from immi website aren't correct.

There's an email address to email to on page 2. Anyone interested should maybe email and ask the question.

They are talking about applications being processed 6 or 7 years from applying in 2007 which is not the same as the estimated queue from applying today or in the case of the OP which would be 2-3 years in the future.

If you read my post above and note the point
    Demand in the non-contributory parent category increased between 2011-12 and
    2012-13 by 52.1 per cent.

The number of NCPV visas per year was capped last year and due to the strong $AUD especially against a weaker £UK and slump in UK property prices where traditionally a lot of parents migrate from UK on the contributory Parents visa would now be unreachable and have no other choice but to lodge a 103.

The figures on the immi website are probably correct as its more in 'real time' with those interested in applying TODAY not 7 years ago.

Really its not rocket science just basic maths.

Yeh no bother. No need to be a dick about it. Just trying to help the woman.

Yeh no bother. No need to be a dick about it. Just trying to help the woman.

Not being a dick about nothing, you were just wrong where as I pointed out the obvious truth which is more helpful than some sort of delusion.

I appreciate all the replies I got on this, it is hard to work your way through all the information. I think that the prospect of waiting so long rules that out as an option even if it was 7 years. The difficulty with that is byt the time the wait was up you could miss out on health grounds.

Of course all of this is speculative in that the son has not got residency there yet anyway but I do like being prepared in case there is something I should be doing now like getting extra qualifications which might help me get a skilled visa or sponsorship.

Advertisement