Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing weight more difficult after second baby?

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

So I was just wondering from those of you who have 2 or more kids whether it was harder to lose weight after your 2nd than your 1st?

Now, Im not talking about those of ye who did vigorous exercise regimes or went to weight watchers etc... Just more or less the natural weight loss post birth with perhaps a little bit of walking and less chocolate etc :)

Reason I ask is that the weight fell off me after I had my first. I literally went to nothing from the stress of being a first time parent, running around and not making time to eat myself... Now I'm 32 weeks pregnant and mawhosive! Lol. Gone from 8st7lb to 11st4lb... And still 8 weeks to go. So I'm getting a bit worried....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't worry yet:)
    After my 1st I left the hospital in my size 8 jeans and there was me wondering about why people talk about loosing weight after pregnancy,I also had hyperemesis so that might have helped and then piled on weight being at home.
    After my 2nd it was pretty much the same story but I was only sick for the 1st 20 weeks,once the baby came it was only a few days and I was back in to my normal clothes.
    I was quite active though and did quite a bit of walking with them.
    I did not go back to my original weight again but up until I gave up work and had #3 I did not change much clothes size wise.
    Everyone is different and you will not know until baby is here but I did find if you could keep fit during pregnancy it helps a lot so dreading this one!!
    Keeping fit for me was just walking to the play school and back which was 4 or 8km a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks moonbeam. Gosh I've just been so inactive this whole pregnancy!

Last time I was working the whole way through. And walked 7km every day until it got too difficult. This time I haven't been working so basically sitting on my arse (when I'm not taking care of LO). I haven't been walking AT ALL as since 6 weeks I've had really bad shortness of breath and on inhaler. Even walking down the road leaves me gasping!

I was 1 stone lighter going into this pregnancy than my last but have already caught up weight wise... So I've put I an extra stone since last time. Agh I just feel like a whale.

I know people may think its a silly thing to be worried about when the result is so awesome... I think I'm just having a fat day or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Haha im STILL working on loosing my baby weight after the first one....and hes a year old now....oy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Haha im STILL working on loosing my baby weight after the first one....and hes a year old now....oy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No, it is perfectly normal,in my case I wanted 4 in as short a space as possible so after all the pregnancies I could worry about having a figure again.
    I have another 3 months before I have to worry!! and then when it does not all magically disappear I will be feeling exactly the same. I am used to being small and not having to watch what I eat but age is changing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Rachineire wrote: »

Snap...but for the first time in my life, I don't care. I'm happy with how I look...a more toned body and some weight loss would be lovely but it wont change how I feel about myself.

Sorry OP, I know that wasn't what you asked. I'm still on baby #1 so I'll have to get back to you another time1 ;)

yellow hen wrote: »
    Snap...but for the first time in my life, I don't care. I'm happy with how I look...a more toned body and some weight loss would be lovely but it wont change how I feel about myself.

Sorry OP, I know that wasn't what you asked. I'm still on baby #1 so I'll have to get back to you another time1 ;)

Lol... No bother. But it's funny as I had the exact same attitude after number 1 as you! I was like. Feck it, I've just had a baby, who cares if I've a few extra pounds. And then the weight just fell off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I ate better and exercised more on my second pregnancy than my first and I am still huge 6 months later. I actually lost weight after my son, I went from a size 10-12 before him to a size 8 after, now I am a 12. I get really upset about it, but because I feel it is so hopeless, I am doing nothing to lose the weight. It's a vicious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Yeah I am still working on it a year later....on the first....mmmm chocolate

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I ate better and exercised more on my second pregnancy than my first and I am still huge 6 months later. I actually lost weight after my son, I went from a size 10-12 before him to a size 8 after, now I am a 12. I get really upset about it, but because I feel it is so hopeless, I am doing nothing to lose the weight. It's a vicious cycle.

But sure you're not that long after your second are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sligo1 wrote: »
    But sure you're not that long after your second are you?

6 months. I know it's not a very long time, but if I want to cop on, now is the time. I bf and I each okay, but I am way bigger than last time. I actually feel really crap about it. And I have the OH saying "Well you know what to do" I do, but it doesn't help when I just can't find the "get up and go" for it.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    6 months. I know it's not a very long time, but if I want to cop on, now is the time. I bf and I each okay, but I am way bigger than last time. I actually feel really crap about it. And I have the OH saying "Well you know what to do" I do, but it doesn't help when I just can't find the "get up and go" for it.

Ah I know, It's horrible feeling crap about putting on weight etc. but 6 months it's a very short time. I actually found when I began to wean my fella off the breast the weight fell off me. I started having to wean him off around 4 months or so and I think in the month that followed a dropped a stone. Then at 5 months when he was completed weaned off me I was as thin.

But I hate any type of exercise so I'm just really worried about losing after number 2.

I and I'm not saying stop bfing to lose weight! Lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I and I'm not saying stop bfing to lose weight! Lol...

There seems to be a thing where women are one way or the other, weight either falls off while breastfeeding or it really sticks. No middle ground!
    I'm definitely one for weight sticking while breastfeeding, find it hard to shift any weight even now. Or maybe breastfeeding is my excuse :p

liliq wrote: »
    There seems to be a thing where women are one way or the other, weight either falls off while breastfeeding or it really sticks. No middle ground!
    I'm definitely one for weight sticking while breastfeeding, find it hard to shift any weight even now. Or maybe breastfeeding is my excuse :p

Yep definitely one way or the other I think. I'm really looking forward to breast feeding when I have this one and hoping to do it a lot longer. Really enjoyed it. Just hope it works out. I think that's what helped me get my figure back so soon after number 1.... Coz I definitely did no exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Iv been wondering the same thing about loosing weight after number 2. I got pregnant 9 weeks after my son was born. I got big fast but now I'm where I was at this stage first time round. I walked when pregnant first time and again this time but to me it did no more than help with labour. In sayin that I only put on the bump. But I feel yukkie this time and I know I defo want to get down in weight. Physio said to wait until 12 weeks after the birth to get really active because of SPD.

I dropped all the weight a few days after the birth of my son the belly vanished but felt really odd to touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I also agree that breastfeeding doesn't equal effortless weight loss for everyone. On my son it helped lose a stone and a half but I had to work hard to lose the other half a stone. I was walking twice a day at least every second day.

On my daughter the weight came off without much effort after 3 months and I'm now smaller than I was before pregnant on her. I put on pretty much the same amount on both pregnancies but I looked totally different. All to the front on my daughter and everywhere on my son.

The only thing I did differently after having my daughter was watch my portion sizes. I still ate a lot of sweet stuff etc but I didn't eat 2 dinners.

We're down to a few feeds a day now so I really have to start watching what I eat now. I put on 8lbs at this stage with my son after losing it all and it was very hard to lose again.

Having said all that I always thought I'd be ruined after having babies as I'm so small and I'd be like a little roly poly so I'm very happy to be back to my pre-pregnancy shape. Now I just have to watch my weight as I head towards the big 4-0!

Advertisement