Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music you appreciate but think is overhyped

Options
  • 19-01-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Pretty much what the title says.

Are there any bands/artists you don't necessarily dislike, but feel they are hyped too much?

For me it used to be The Beatles, though recently I've come to like some of their albums much more, and I don't mind hearing them being brought up in every musical conversation.

Right now it's Queen, I still can't get into them, I do appreciate what they did, and Freddie Mercury was a great frontman.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bruce Springstein, I appreciate he's loved by millions, but he's never done it for me, never saw the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

+1 on Springsteen.

Bowie for me. I like plenty of covers of his songs, but I can't listen to the originals. He's just such an awful vocalist.

On the Beatles, when I was a teenager I thought they were super-great, but then I listened to the massive anthology CDs which includes demo versions, studio out-takes, live shows, etc. They did a lot of really ropey and some godawful songs, they just generally didn't make it anywhere near an LP. Even some of their classics sounded like crap (Strawberry Fields and A Day in the Life spring to mind) during their first N recordings/iterations. But it was through tweaking and experimenting and improving that they turned these things into great songs.

While initially the anthology kind of made me think they were chancers, I came to realise that it does take a lot of intelligence and hard work to bring an iffy sample and a few ideas, and manipulate them into something brilliant. That of course, and assistance from George Martin and others. I know Martin is legendary in record production circles, but I think his impact on music is understated. Without Martin, the Beatles wouldn't be the mega-icons they are today. He practically rewrote half of their best songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

U2

For every fantastic song, there's several which are ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

U2

For every fantastic song, there's several which are ordinary

Can say that about most bands in the history of music.

For me I would say Foo Fighters. They have some belting tracks but far too many of them just sound like a mish-mash of noise to me, with little or no melody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely agree on Springsteen. Never got into him. He's not bad, but just seems a bit boring.
    I never got into The Smiths and Morrissy. Can see why people like them, but I don't think I'll ever enjoy their music.
    The big one for me is The Beach Boys.
    seamus wrote: »
    +1 on Springsteen.

Bowie for me. I like plenty of covers of his songs, but I can't listen to the originals. He's just such an awful vocalist.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Please never post again and delete your account!
    He's done an awful lot of shíte after Lets Dance, but the guy is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

The stones,
    Kiss

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cienciano wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Please never post again and delete your account!
    He's done an awful lot of shíte after Lets Dance, but the guy is a genius.
    I didn't say the songs were crap, just that Bowie's vocals are awful. Bland, passionless warbling. Can't stand it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 fork_handle

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Bruce Springstein, I appreciate he's loved by millions, but he's never done it for me, never saw the attraction.

times a million

seems like a sound guy in every way but his music is nothing special IMO

The stones,
    Kiss

kiss are a completely crap band who just happen to be entertaining , they have never been appreciated or acclaimed by anyone anywhere , plus they were only ever huge in America

AC/DC are better but a crap band none the less IMO

the stones have attained greatness by virtue of the fact they,ve been around longer than god , they have not released a great record in thirty years plus , still love much of their back catalogue however , " legends "

• Advertisement

I didn't say the songs were crap, just that Bowie's vocals are awful. Bland, passionless warbling. Can't stand it.

" bland " is not a word I would ever associate with bowie , his voice is so distinctive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I want to remind people that this thread is not about artists/bands you dislike, just those who you think are genuinely talented but are discussed too much.

Daft Punk.
    Sure, some of their stuff is catchy but the way some people go on about them you'd swear they were the be-all and end-all of electronic music!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Oasis

Daft Punk.
    Sure, some of their stuff is catchy but the way some people go on about them you'd swear they were the be-all and end-all of electronic music!

I actually like Daft Punk and still think they're over rated massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Led Zeppelin
    Queen
    AC/DC
    Deep Purple
    U2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Arcade Fire maybe? They seem to get a lot of coverage in the music press.

I like their sound and think that some of their work is very impressive. However I found a lot of stuff on the last two records to be uninspiring and not worthy of all the hype and praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I like their sound and think that some of their work is very impressive. However I found a lot of stuff on the last two records to be uninspiring and not worthy of all the hype and praise.

I have similar views about Arcade Fire. To paraphrase Eamon Dunphy, they are a good group - not a great group!

Taking an older band, I would say Journey are way over-hyped. They have a couple of good songs, but tend to be over-hyped... and worst of all is that over-played song "Don't Stop Believing". That song is just plain irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Bowie's vocals are awful. Bland, passionless warbling. Can't stand it.

Can't go any farther without totally disagreeing with above.

For me Springsteen, although I did see him in Thomond (to pacify da wife :)) and will admit, he does a great show.
    Will include Sting too (as a solo artist)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I liked their last two albums but I wouldn't consider either of them anything special. There's a lot of mainstream expectations still clinging to the band and a lot of hope with each new release that it will be another Funeral. I think they deserved the praise they got for Funeral, it's a magnificent album, but I think these days they are a little bit over-hyped.

Beach House are a another band that comes to mind. Their last two albums I like, their first two are a bit boring though. But it still puzzles me how a band like them has had so much success compared to other bands that are similar to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

David bowie , the beatles , madonna led zepplin

Beach House are a another band that comes to mind. Their last two albums I like, their first two are a bit boring though. But it still puzzles me how a band like them has had so much success compared to other bands that are similar to them.

Probably Victoria Legrand's vocals - I think she has one of the most gorgeous voices out there and that's what sets them apart. Musically though I find them a bit too samey; while they're certainly good at what they do I'd love to hear them experiment a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Kings of Leon
    The beach boys
    Stone roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Probably Victoria Legrand's vocals - I think she has one of the most gorgeous voices out there and that's what sets them apart. Musically though I find them a bit too samey; while they're certainly good at what they do I'd love to hear them experiment a bit more.
    She does have a lovely voice I agree. I loved Teen Dream when it came out and played it quite a lot. I liked Bloom when they released it too, but at the same time that album kind of exposed them as one-trick ponies. I think they've taken their sound as far as it can go and they don't seem like the type of band that would reinvent themselves anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I still love their first album but after that hasn't blown me away yet the critic's and fan's slap genius on everything they've done after. Funeral is still a great piece of work though.

Kings of Leon, loved their first two albums but it saddens me that the more MOR they get the more popular they get, not one song stands up to their early work. But those first two albums are excellent.

The Libertines, it was great to see a British band come to save us from the American Drivel that mostly followed after the Strokes and The White Stripes burst onto the scene. But the way NME goes on about them you'd think they reinvented the wheel, a good debut album and patchy second album but they were fine but nowhere near the hype NME would make you believe they were.

Haim, decent album but a tad slickly produced and a good live act who'd suit the mid afternoon set at the summer Festival. But weren't these girls overhyped by everyone, every music magazine and hipster have you think they were the best thing going since slice bread. Decent act with one or two catchy singles, who probably pack out a Olympia been pushed as they are A class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Cienciano wrote: »
    I actually like Daft Punk and still think they're over rated massively.

Discovery is still one of the best albums of the past 20 years. But they are a little overrated though especially that new album, nowhere in the same ballpark as their early albums.

What about Muse? They have some good songs, I've seen them live 3 times and they were brilliant each time. But they have 4 poor songs for each good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The National - Decent band, seem them live twice, but they are way overhyped in the industry by a lot of music journos

• Advertisement
Advertisement