Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting down ewes

• 19-01-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

If ye come across an impossible situation, how do people here put down a sheep in pain with no chance of recovery ,
    Some kind of overdose? What's permitted ? I can imagine there are aome stupid regulations here that should be ignored.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

bullet would be my answer, any overdose has to be administered by a vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The vet can do it humanely with an injection.
    As you suggest a large overdose will also do it. I don't think we can name any here due to the possible legality of it.
    That said read between the lines of other recent threads. Certain doses were implicated in killing unborn lambs at therapeutic levels. What do you think might happen at higher doses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

The vet can do it humanely with an injection.
    As you suggest a large overdose will also do it. I don't think we can name any here due to the possible legality of it.
    That said read between the lines of other recent threads. Certain doses were implicated in killing unborn lambs at therapeutic levels. What do you think might happen at higher doses.

Shotgun to the forehead, die instantly, inn the case of those intestinal prolapse when they are in huge pain is the only time I'd do it, you couldn't drag them into a trailer to a vet or wait an hour for him to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

There are 'human' killers out there, basicly a bolt gun they require a type bullet.
    Most knackers will put down an animal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I live near an abbatoir so into the trailer and one of the lads would do the necessary ... might be over a day waiting for the knackery lorry

if it's night time or weekend I use the shot gun , don't like doing it , but I would'nt let an animal suffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

If a ewe needs putting down I figure she's in some kind of pain, so quickest way is the gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭jmrc

Advertisement