Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Spending Money

Options
  • 19-01-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hey all,

What the title says really. Have a week off in March and am thinking about being spontaneous and booking a 5 day trip to the big apple for myself and my other half.

I've priced hotel and flights for just under 2K which I think is a fairly good deal. What I'm a little unsure of is spending money. Can anyone advise how much is enough for 5 days? We'd obviously do the touristy things, probably a nice dinner one night. I'd be grateful for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

for just the basics at least $200/day. between bits and pieces you will easily run that up and enjoy yourself doing it. empire state is 20 something dollars a head to go up...dinner out add another couple of hundred if you want to go fancy. 60/80 if you dont. if you have a grand in your pocket and a credit card handy you will have a good week. Unless other half wants to shop :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I've lived here for about 20 years, my honest advice would be not to come to New York in March. I've hosted people who've come over for Saint Patrick's day several times over the years and they've always been shocked at how cold it still is here at that time. Plus it's the end of the winter so everybody is basically fed up and generally not in great form. It will be too cold to really enjoy a lot of the best things - the harbor, rooftops, Central Park, etc.

If you really want to come I'd recommend getting a place downtown (East Village, West Village, Soho, etc.) on aribnb.com, don't go to the Times Square area, it's a rip-off and unpleasant to stay in. You'll get a much better deal on airbnb than you will going the hotel route - hotels in New York are a terrible deal for the money.

If you watch your budget you can have a great time on about $100 per person a day. There are tons of cheap ethnic restaurants that you don't get at home and a lot of concerts and other cultural events are cheap and even free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I'm going next week for 4 days. taking $1200. should this be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

I've lived here for about 20 years, my honest advice would be not to come to New York in March. I've hosted people who've come over for Saint Patrick's day several times over the years and they've always been shocked at how cold it still is here at that time. Plus it's the end of the winter so everybody is basically fed up and generally not in great form. It will be too cold to really enjoy a lot of the best things - the harbor, rooftops, Central Park, etc.

If you really want to come I'd recommend getting a place downtown (East Village, West Village, Soho, etc.) on aribnb.com, don't go to the Times Square area, it's a rip-off and unpleasant to stay in. You'll get a much better deal on airbnb than you will going the hotel route - hotels in New York are a terrible deal for the money.

If you watch your budget you can have a great time on about $100 per person a day. There are tons of cheap ethnic restaurants that you don't get at home and a lot of concerts and other cultural events are cheap and even free.

Thanks Paul for the great post! I've only just seen it. We've decided to go on March 25th. We don't mind if it's cold - I'll be prepared (I went in late November once and thought - "How cold could it be?". Boy was I wrong!). We got a great deal on the flights and accommodation. I'm not as worried about spending money anymore - people seem to say it can be as expensive, or as cheap as you like. I'll be taking $1300 and I'll just watch it over there. I'll bring a credit card on the off chance we go over the limit!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

heading the end of april with my 12 yr old son, hotel is sorted my brother works in one so got a good deal..so really any advice on something unique for my son..wel be doing the touristy things but any other advice of something spectacular to make this the trip of a lifetime would be appreciated...iv so far $3500 for spends :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement