Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammerli AR 20 Hybrid

• 19-01-2014 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi does anyone know if the Hammerli AR 20 Hybrid (Light training system rifle) need a license, or is it only if you get it converted that you need one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Converted to what?

It's an air rifle...it needs a licence.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

A picky Garda might point you to this part of the Firearms Act:
    A firearm is ... any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

So a gun missing a critical part is still a gun. What's involved in converting it? Is it a drop-in set of parts or is it a factory job?

You might be better off buying a regular air rifle and something like a SCATT. I don't know what data you'd get out of the AR20 Hybrid target but the likes of SCATT & Noptel give fantastic training data and work with any firearm so you wouldn't be tied into the AR20 system.

Blay wrote: »
    Converted to what?

It's an air rifle...it needs a licence.

The AR20 Hybrid is a light gun and as shipped doesn't contain any firearm parts.

The regular AR20 is an air rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

IRLConor wrote: »
    The AR20 Hybrid is a light gun and as shipped doesn't contain any firearm parts.

The regular AR20 is an air rifle.

Yeah I just noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 suilteoir

Thamks guys. The conversion is a factory job. The AR 29 hybrid was designed to allow U12s in Germany practice while allowing them convert it to an air rifle when they get old enough.

• Advertisement

suilteoir wrote: »
    The conversion is a factory job.

In that case you're probably fine to have it here with no license.

Unless you're buying it for someone too young even for a training license then I'd still recommend getting a real air rifle and a SCATT/Noptel. You'd end up with a better rifle, better dry firing data/analysis and much better resale value if you needed to get rid of it.

I'm not really convinced of the value of the AR20 Hybrid. The differences in weight & balance of a rifle needed by, say a 10 year old, a 14-16 year old and an adult are big enough that you either need a much more flexible rifle than the AR20 platform or multiple rifles.

Advertisement