Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LD Lines - Rosslare to Spain/Gijon & France/St Nazaire

Options
  • 19-01-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone ever crossed with LD Lines? What are they like to travel with? They are now doing trips to Spain. I wouldn't mind going to St Nazaire as its half way down West coast of France for 240 Euro return 2 Adults and 2 Kids in May, which is cheaper than Celtic Link ferries and less the diesel from Cherbourg to St Nazaire. Funny though I tried selecting the less than 6M option for motorhome and it won't let me, have they got restrictions on length?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Anyone ever crossed with LD Lines? What are they like to travel with? They are now doing trips to Spain. I wouldn't mind going to St Nazaire as its half way down West coast of France for 240 Euro return 2 Adults and 2 Kids in May, which is cheaper than Celtic Link ferries and less the diesel from Cherbourg to St Nazaire. Funny though I tried selecting the less than 6M option for motorhome and it won't let me, have they got restrictions on length?

The route is only open 10 days will take a while for reviews to trickle through, you get an idea of the ship and facilities you can see video of one of the sister ship on youtube if you search 'latvia watling street'. She was renamed norman atlantic a couple of days ago but you can find videos and photos under her old name Scintu. Norman voyager, stena flavia, scittish viking are sister ships and norman asturias is very similar.

facilities are basic, no swimming pool at that price lol but they say they are hoping to lay on a kid play area and cinema by the summer.

Just book 6m they're not going to complain about you booking more room than you need. If you're concerned just ask them on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Thanks for the heads up on this lads, just booking trip to france for August and didn't realize this was an option (and a good one).

I emailed them about the dimensions, my van is 6.5x3.2 which isn't on the selection page. Will post if they provide a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭colmll

Looking at this my self. Got a price of 1070 for 2 adults, two kids (charged as adults) a 4 berth outside cabin going end of July and back middle of Aug. Thinking of driving down to the Med coast. Would anybody recommend any good camp sites around the Monpellier region? Kids are 10 and 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Thanks for the heads up on this lads, just booking trip to france for August and didn't realize this was an option (and a good one).

I emailed them about the dimensions, my van is 6.5x3.2 which isn't on the selection page. Will post if they provide a response.

Did you get a response? My MH is 6 X 3.2 M

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Did you get a response? My MH is 6 X 3.2 M

I got an email back to say ring their Irish/UK office. Looking at the crossing times I had already changed my mind and went with Celtic Link so never followed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Here's another option to look into...
    I booked one way with LDLines to St Nazaire in April - the return leg with Celtic Link from Cherbourg 2 weeks later. Gives us a nice option of not having to do a loop to return to the same place you arrived into - and for some weird reason it worked out cheaper than doing a full return with either company!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ParisOld

We decided to go with LD lines back from St Nazaire in July. I would not recommend it. Sitting on a ferry for 24 hours was torture. I would much prefer to drive to Rosscoff or Cherbourg than endure such a long journey with a ferry full of screaming kids. St Nazaire isn't very inviting either.
    However, on a positive note, you are directly next to the entrance to the stunning Loire Valley, beautiful Chateaus and vineyards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

ParisOld wrote: »
    We decided to go with LD lines back from St Nazaire in July. I would not recommend it. Sitting on a ferry for 24 hours was torture. I would much prefer to drive to Rosscoff or Cherbourg than endure such a long journey with a ferry full of screaming kids. St Nazaire isn't very inviting either.
    However, on a positive note, you are directly next to the entrance to the stunning Loire Valley, beautiful Chateaus and vineyards.

I don't think this route is running again next year. I travelled one way on it, to France, and while the journey was a bit boring, landing so far down the west coast was a dream and worth the long journey. I would use this route again if it were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The second leg of the trip is also suspended at present as well, St Naz -Gijon.
    I don't think they will run here again.
    If they do I'd love to see them run out of Cork to StNaz as it would be a lot of fuel saved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...and very unfortunately and sadly, That's the end of that !

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/29/ferry-fire-rescue-death-toll-missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    ...and very unfortunately and sadly, That's the end of that !

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/29/ferry-fire-rescue-death-toll-missing
    As someone who traveled on that ship from Rosslare to St Nazaire, I found this story quite unsettling. I wonder what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

vienne86 wrote: »
    As someone who traveled on that ship from Rosslare to St Nazaire, I found this story quite unsettling. I wonder what happened.
    I think its the same thing as travelling on a bus and the bus later being in a crash.
    Apparently the fire started in a truck on the cargo deck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Amazing pictures: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2015/01/the-deadly-fire-aboard-the-ferry-norman-atlantic/100882/

Incredible amount of energy in tyre rubber let alone the fuel, its amazing its still afloat. It beggars belief how long it took to get everyone off the ship those that got away without physical injury must surely have smoke inhalation issues.

Advertisement