Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1lb beef

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Would it be cheeky to ask a butcher for a 1lb of beef,its for one person.How much would it usually cost?Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Price varies on cuts. 1lb would be around €5 thereabouts if I'm not mistaken.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

galwaytown wrote: »
    Would it be cheeky to ask a butcher for a 1lb of beef,its for one person.How much would it usually cost?Thanks!

What kind of beef? 454g of cheap mince will cost you €3-5; whereas a 16oz aged fillet will be closer to €15-20.

Stewing beef, shin, flank, shoulder etc are usually the cheaper cuts. The prices vary from butcher to butcher. Offal used to be cheaper, but I think it has a hipster appeal at the moment so can actually be more expensive.

Round is a good lean cut and should be around €10 per kilo.

Most butchers, even some supermarkets, will cut you a steak if you want a larger than normal portion. Tell the butcher exactly what you want and they will get it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Thanks guys,its just stewing beef,budget E5 max

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You should be able to get a pound of stewing beef for less than a fiver. Nothing cheeky about it, that's what butcher's are for!

Aiming to go to the butchers,can't stand the packet stuff with the strange bits mid dinner!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My local butcher does ribsteak (perfect for stewing) for 6.50/kg, so you'd be paying around 3 quid for a pound of it. If you do get ribsteak you might want to get a little extra since you'll probably end up trimming a bit off to get rid of any big bits of hard gristle.

Edit: I always get a slice of shin beef on the bone as well (5.50/kg) - you get great flavour out of the bone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr Boom Boom

Why is it cheeky? Assume you are not asking for it for free and will pay the man?

Got E3 of stewing beef I reckon it will do the trick!

Advertisement