Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Handlebar cushioning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Old inner tubes and today I seen a man using pipe lagging and masking tape. Aldi gel gloves is what I use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Yep. Gel gloves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Double wrap the bars. Buy cheap cork bar tape (on eBay) and wrap just the tops of the bars with it and then wrap the bars as normal with your own tape.

But like said above, Aldi gel gloves are excellent, very comfortable and very cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When replacing mine, I kept some of the old tape to use as padding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    When replacing mine, I kept some of the old tape to use as padding.

Yep, same here. Usually wash it in dettol beforehand, to help eliminate future bar stink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Bent elbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Go get a cheap mouse mat from the pound shop and turn it upside down so you get the cushioned gel part facing up the way, cut to size and lay onto the bars as you wrap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just remember when it comes to cushioning that softer padding or more padding does not necessarily equate to more comfort.

The purpose of padding, from a bike perspective, is to act as a shock absorber between your body and the bike. Soft materials by definition require less energy to compress them. This means they're lovely and comfortable to rest on, but awful at shock absorption, because the amount of energy they dissipate is tiny, and the rest of the energy is then transferred to your body.
    The best materials are firm but compressible, as they will dissipate quite a bit of energy, resulting in less energy transferred to you.. This is why cork is so popular on bars and road bike saddles seem insanely hard for something you sit on for 3-5 hours straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

I bought sram cork bar tape and there was enough length in it to double wrap the top section and its really comfy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My bars. That's raw metal, RAWR.

289765.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Tom Bonen has raced and won on cobbles innumerable times.

Tomeke don't do padded bar tape.
    Tomeke don't do padded gloves.
    Tomeke don't even do umpadded gloves.

MTFU

Where does this sh1t end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ROK ON wrote: »
    Tom Boonen has raced and won on cobbles innumerable times.

Tomeke don't do padded bar tape.
    Tomeke don't do padded gloves.
    Tomeke don't even do umpadded gloves.

MTFU

Where does this sh1t end.

Boonen, Schmoonen. Tomeke aint so tough.
    http://inrng.com/2011/09/boonen-saddlesore/ :P

Maybe he should invest in a bit of gel......

Advertisement