Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineer costs!

• 20-01-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello
    I am currently looking to refurbish my terraced 2 storey house built in the 1950s.
    I am new to the whole building thing, so asked an engineer to come out and have a look at the house as i wanted to know if i could knock walls in the house due to the structure of the house. He said this was possible and also said he would do plans and spec for 1800 euro. Just wondering is this a standard price or too expensive? any previous experience with engineers welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Marian1 wrote: »
    Hello
    I am currently looking to refurbish my terraced 2 storey house built in the 1950s.
    I am new to the whole building thing, so asked an engineer to come out and have a look at the house as i wanted to know if i could knock walls in the house due to the structure of the house. He said this was possible and also said he would do plans and spec for 1800 euro. Just wondering is this a standard price or too expensive? any previous experience with engineers welcome.
    Thanks

You are relying on this person to make sure your house doesnt fall down now, during the build or 3 years after the builder is good and gone. Its reasonable money.

Ask him if theres any play in the price as you didnt expect it to be that high, he may knock 10% off or something.

For comparisson, my friend got his attic converted recently, large house in Portmarnock which included 4 new dormers, circa 45 sq. m and the engineers cost for initial survey, structural design, inspection and final certification for building and planning regas was approx €1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

kceire wrote: »
    You are relying on this person to make sure your house doesnt fall down now, during the build or 3 years after the builder is good and gone. Its reasonable money.

Ask him if theres any play in the price as you didnt expect it to be that high, he may knock 10% off or something.

For comparisson, my friend got his attic converted recently, large house in Portmarnock which included 4 new dormers, circa 45 sq. m and the engineers cost for initial survey, structural design, inspection and final certification for building and planning regas was approx €1600.
    For most builds or extensions who ever is drawing up the building spec drawing should be singing off and standing over his/her work. I never heard of one person standing over another persons structural design. About €1500-€2000 should cover this type of projectgoing on estimates I got for similar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

For most builds or extensions who ever is drawing up the building spec drawing should be singing off and standing over his/her work. I never heard of one person standing over another persons structural design. About €1500-€2000 should cover this type of projectgoing on estimates I got for similar.

I know that.

Advertisement