Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maximum number of rounds?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

What's the maximum number of rounds you've heard of anyone getting on there licence?
    Im going to buy another shotgun just for clay shooting in my club. My licence for my 1st
    shotgun only has 300 on it and im going to apply for 3000 with my new gun and hopefully get it (hopefully)

I know someone who got 2000 on there's when they only asked for 500,
    and i know someone who scaned there club members card and wrote a letter
    stating he needs buying power to save money and that he goes through a
    1000 rounds in 2 weeks etc...
    and he was only given 300 on his licence!!! :eek:

Do they just pick random licence's and write down 300, 2000, 800? just for the crack!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Simple really, you can have whatever your Super says you can.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

duckman!! wrote: »
    What's the maximum number of rounds you've heard of anyone getting on there licence?
    10,000. Actually seen this on four licenses from four lads at the same time. Total - 40,000 between them. Mad.
    Do they just pick random licence's and write down 300, 2000, 800? just for the crack!! :D
    Every amount i've asked for i've gotten. Because i've given good reason and paperwork to back it up. I also quoted the commissioner's guidelines where necessary. In it there are guidelines for the amounts for different disciplines/activities. So a farmer might only shot very occasionally so need only 100, whereas a clay shooter may need at least 750.

Range membership helps a lot in these situations. I've 1,500 on my shotgun, 1,500 on my .308, 1,000 on my .243, and 1,000 on my .17hmr.

Some do not get what they asked for and others not even close when the reason is completely valid. Seen more lads than i care to remember with 100 on their license yet they own an air rifle and they only come in tins of 500. :rolleyes:

Apply, ask for a reasonable amount, provide good reason why you need it and wait. Some people believe asking for a huge amount means even if you get a smaller amount it'll be what you want, but it's fine line between asking for too much and not enough. When i asked for mine i put down some of these reasons:
    • Distance to shop, hence bulk buying to prevent numerous trips.
    • Buying in bulk for cost reasons.
    • Amount they come in, be it a case of cartridges (250), a tin of .22lr ammo (525) or tin of pellets (500)
    • What i use it for (target shooting so i need a lot especially in cartridges and rimfire)
    • Empties legally count as live rounds so i need a higher limit to account for live and empty rounds/cases.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement