Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First day in creche?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have to return to work in 2 months, so it is time to think about creche for my baby. But I am worried about it - how will child react? He will be almost 1 year old, he never stayed with strangers - no childminders or babysitters (grandparents only). And he doesnot have many experience in communicating to other children. So it seems to me there will be a great problem...
    Can anyone give me advice what to do? And what did you do? What were the first days in creche? How did child act?
    Thank you for answers in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My little one started at 9 months,no one had ever minder her except me and her dad had once for 3 hours.I had never had a reason to leave her.
    She had no experience with other kids and I cried leaving her for the 1st week.
    She loved it and got on brilliantly there,it was way harder for her then me.
    Have you scheduled in the settling in days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Today is our first day in crèche! The crèche usually do a up to two week nerding in period to get the child used to them and visa versa. Just talk to your chosen crèche and they will advise you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son was 18 months old when he started crèche, he was exclusively minded by me up til then. There was 2 weeks of adaptation, so a couple of days where he went with me for an hour each time, then a couple of days an hour alone, then increasing the time gradually. He loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

We had a week of induction at 14 months old.
    We were also advised that the parent the child isleast attached to should bring him to the creche if possible in the beginning. Supposedly it makes the "dropping off" easier. Eg, if the child has been minded by mammy for a year, then daddy should bring the child to the creche.
    It's a stressful change for all involved, but once they're in the creche a few while you'll probably have to remind them to give you a goodbye kiss :o
    Mind you, I've seen some children in the creche for 2 years and still doing the "limpet" in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

josip wrote: »
    We had a week of induction at 14 months old.
    We were also advised that the parent the child isleast attached to should bring him to the creche if possible in the beginning. Supposedly it makes the "dropping off" easier. Eg, if the child has been minded by mammy for a year, then daddy should bring the child to the creche.
    It's a stressful change for all involved, but once they're in the creche a few while you'll probably have to remind them to give you a goodbye kiss :o
    Mind you, I've seen some children in the creche for 2 years and still doing the "limpet" in the morning.
    Mine never ever ever looks back at me or says goodbye to me in the morning! And in the evening, he's happy to see me, says hello, and then continues playing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

bp wrote: »
    Today is our first day in crèche! The crèche usually do a up to two week nerding in period to get the child used to them and visa versa. Just talk to your chosen crèche and they will advise you

Aww:)
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

How'd it go bp? Our little guy wasn't used to having people around at all and as out families aren't nearby he wasn't even used to being in other houses with me.he took to crèche like a duck to water. I wouldn't say he loves it as he's still too young for that bug he never cries being dropped off and sleeps great for them. If anything they got him into a sleep routine that he wouldn't do for me!!

We were happy to play with the toys and sit on the knee of the staff until mammy played with another baby! In again tomorrow with me then I have to leave them there alone for a few hours :-( cue me on boards in tears on Wednesday!

So what does one do with ones self when child is in crèche? House has never been so clean! Ah well I should enjoy it before work starts again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So what does one do with ones self when child is in crèche? House has never been so clean! Ah well I should enjoy it before work starts again

I re-joined the gym and started going to zumba. I loved it, I think because it was ME time but also because it was great fun. Take yourself shopping or out for a coffee and read a book or something. God, I'm so jealous now :(

• Advertisement

I have a few days to enjoy it! Plan to gym tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have 2 kids in creche. One 2 years old, the other 9 months. Both in creche from about 7 months.
    It's really hard to leave them (well, the first one) for the first time. But you'll probably find it much much harder than your child. Mine was only ever minded by grandparents and didn't have much contact with kids his own age, but they all take to it fine. You'll probably have sleepless night the night before, and handing them over the first few times is strange, but they'll be fine.
    Now if I have a day off work I'll still drop them over. Bliss having time to myself and the house actually being quiet

Advertisement