Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schnauzer, unloved/wanted by neighbour

• 20-01-2014 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    We have a neighbouring family who have a very long history of getting dogs and then letting them roam the streets. This time they somehow got a Schnauzer who in the recent cold weather has started to sleep at our door as they don't kennel it and of late the dog is getting skinnier than we have ever seen it. Basically, they neglect it.
    What should I do? Do the dogs trust take in dogs or should I just call the ISPCA?
    Its a great dog, just needs a loving warm home

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    We have a neighbouring family who have a very long history of getting dogs and then letting them roam the streets. This time they somehow got a Schnauzer who in the recent cold weather has started to sleep at our door as they don't kennel it and of late the dog is getting skinnier than we have ever seen it. Basically, they neglect it.
    What should I do? Do the dogs trust take in dogs or should I just call the ISPCA?
    Its a great dog, just needs a loving warm home

Tough situation when you see a dog being neglected by an owner. You can call the dog warden or someone similar to take a look, but since the owner is nearby they will probably at most just have a word with them and then come back at a later date to see if they have improved their care. Unless they judge the dog to be in danger, ie: actually starving, not just skinny, they can't take him, and though not having shelter is a grave danger, a lot of times the owner will just take them inside for a while to satisfy the warden or SPCA.

Basically the animal is considered the owners property and won't be or can't be legally seized until it is on deaths door, and rescues are so crowded already that they don't go looking to take dogs off their owners even if the owners suck. But you might as well try reporting the neglect anyway, if other neighbours do the same maybe the owners can at least be put under pressure to take the dog in at night. Maybe take pics or video of the dog being left out at night withe dates/temperatures recorded.

The worst part is when these type of owners end up with their dog lost, run over, etc. due to their negligence and ignorance, they pass no heed and often don't hesitate to replace it straight away and do the same to the new dog. One of my dogs was taken off a homeless drug addict with a lot of issues. She is still homeless, begging on the street, but she has a dog again somehow. Some people just seem to have a need for owning pets despite not being able to care for them and it is frustrating because so little can be done to stop them owning an animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

If the dog is not being fed properly and not being provided with shelter this is an offence and the ISPCA will do something about it. Please report this OP. The ISPCA will cover areas outside Dublin or DSPCA for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

OP, I would report this neglectful owner,

I understand what you are saying Sligoface, however, it is not just the food and shelter the owners can be caught for,

Depending on where this is happening, the dog may or may not be required to be on a leash during certain parts of the day.

Also, it doesn't matter where the location is, dogs are not allowed roam streets unattended, this is classed as not having effectual control, which results in a fine, furthermore, the dog needs to go to the toilet, not picking it up, that's another fine.

You could take the dog while it is on your doorstep (this way it is not theft) and bring it to dogstrust, Ashton dog pound, DSPCA etc.

Hopfully it could find a new home. By the sounds of it, the owners wouldn't bother looking for it anyway, and if they did, they would need to pay the fine for not having control of your dog, and if it doesn't have a collar, that fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Karlitto wrote: »
    OP, I would report this neglectful owner,

I understand what you are saying Sligoface, however, it is not just the food and shelter the owners can be caught for,

Depending on where this is happening, the dog may or may not be required to be on a leash during certain parts of the day.

Also, it doesn't matter where the location is, dogs are not allowed roam streets unattended, this is classed as not having effectual control, which results in a fine, furthermore, the dog needs to go to the toilet, not picking it up, that's another fine.

You could take the dog while it is on your doorstep (this way it is not theft) and bring it to dogstrust, Ashton dog pound, DSPCA etc.

Hopfully it could find a new home. By the sounds of it, the owners wouldn't bother looking for it anyway, and if they did, they would need to pay the fine for not having control of your dog, and if it doesn't have a collar, that fine too.

How is that in any way not theft?! Dogs trust wouldn't take that dog as you are not the proper owner.

padraig.od wrote: »
    How is that in any way not theft?! Dogs trust wouldn't take that dog as you are not the proper owner.

It is not theft as the dog is off the owners property, it is on yours, therefore trespassing, Dogs trust may not take it in, but the pound in Ashton will.

Infact, thinking about it, why wouldn't Dogs trust not take it? Do they not take in strays?

• Advertisement

Oh, and please use the pound as a last resort, dogs that go there, if they are not claimed or re homed in 5 or 7 days (can't remember which), they unfortunately go to sleep :<

It is not theft as the dog is off the owners property, it is on yours, therefore trespassing, Dogs trust may not take it in, but the pound in Ashton will.

Infact, thinking about it, why wouldn't Dogs trust not take it? Do they not take in strays?

Are you being serious:confused:

Are you being serious:confused:

Yes, I don't have any experience with them or the SPCA, I adopted my former dog from Ashton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No they don't, they can only take in dogs that have done their time in the pound or are being surrendered by their owners. If you hand in a stray they will send it to the pound.

OP, call the ISPCA/DSPCA depending on your area.

Yes, I don't have any experience with them or the SPCA, I adopted my former dog from Ashton.

Does that mean if I wander onto your property you can claim me as your own and keep me? What about my children? Or my car? Or if you have me over for dinner and I leave a coat behind you can keep that too? I don't think you understand between owning something versus possession works:(

A dog being on your propery does not give you licence to kidnap it and hand it over to a third party (or keep it for yourself). Dogs Trust or any other reputable shelter will look for proof of ownership before taking a surrender. Dogs can only being taken from a pound after they have done a certain number of days, and its OWNER has not come and retrieved it.

• Advertisement

Or if you have me over for dinner and I leave a coat behind you can keep that too?

Not your coat, but damn straight if you left beers :)
    A dog being on your propery does not give you licence to kidnap it and hand it over to a third party (or keep it for yourself). Dogs Trust or any other reputable shelter will look for proof of ownership before taking a surrender. Dogs can only being taken from a pound after they have done a certain number of days, and its OWNER has not come and retrieved it.

But in all honesty, I can't be arsed here having a petty debate, I have the dog's best interest at hand.

I was not aware the SPCA or DT would not take in stray's, woops, my bad, but the pound do obviously.

You do not need to "own" a dog to bring it to the pound. And it is not a matter of a dog being on your property, it is to do with a dog being OFF the OWNER's property. And this does infact "license" you to bring it to a pound and class it as a stray.

So please don't bother calling it "kidnapping", at the end of the day, the poor dog is being completely neglected by it's owner, so don't try demonizing me, I am suggesting a way to help the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Does that mean if I wander onto your property you can claim me as your own and keep me? What about my children? Or my car? Or if you have me over for dinner and I leave a coat behind you can keep that too? I don't think you understand between owning something versus possession works:(

If a dog is straying on to your property you can give it to the pound. It's what I'd do in this case as I don't think the owners would bother to go looking for it.

PucaMama wrote: »
    If a dog is straying on to your property you can give it to the pound. It's what I'd do in this case as I don't think the owners would bother to go looking for it.

And then what? Some pounds in this country have pts rates in the 80th percentile.

For me sending a dog to the pound (if I wasn't in a position to go back for it myself after it's 5 days were up) would depend on what kind of a pts rate they have and their relationship with rescues.

Toulouse wrote: »
    And then what? Some pounds in this country have pts rates in the 80th percentile.

For me sending a dog to the pound (if I wasn't in a position to go back for it myself after it's 5 days were up) would depend on what kind of a pts rate they have and their relationship with rescues.

Forgot to say I'd have him come back to me after 5 days. The dog would legally be mine. Obviously I could run into bit of trouble it being the neighbours dog but at least he would be safe while I found him a new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Forgot to say I'd have him come back to me after 5 days. The dog would legally be mine. Obviously I could run into bit of trouble it being the neighbours dog but at least he would be safe while I found him a new home.
    I'm not sure this is how it works for most pounds though. If not claimed by the owner after 5 days most pounds then have a "release fee", anything up €70 for a member of the public to take it out. I don't think it's as simple as just returning to the person who found it. I could be wrong on that though. Sure pounds even charge rescues the release fee which is just crazy.

Yea, but in fairness, screw the neighbours, if they try anything, it is time to get smash happy.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is how it works for most pounds though. If not claimed by the owner after 5 days most pounds then have a "release fee", anything up €70 for a member of the public to take it out. I don't think it's as simple as just returning to the person who found it. I could be wrong on that though. Sure pounds even charge rescues the release fee which is just crazy.

From my experience of dealing with Ashton,

The release fee is the fine for loosing control of your dog, if it had no collar on when it went in, then the fine for that too.

When a member of the public goes in and decides to adopt a dog, it is not a release fee, it is an adoption fee (which includes a micro chipping, collar and lead), the fee for this in Ashton was 65 euro when I got my former guy.

Generally if the person who brought the dog in wants to take it, they need to wait five days for someone to claim him/her, then they get first preference. It is not an "official rule", but it is done out of courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Definitely report them. We have a schnauzer, absolutely lovely dogs. Let us know how you get on.

Jazbee wrote: »
    Definitely report them. We have a schnauzer, absolutely lovely dogs. Let us know how you get on.

IT's YOU!

Hehe :)

How is she getting on after the vet btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Haha! I Would be so tempted to take him though.
    She has a lot more energy today, and is moving around the house. No poo's yet but she's not eating alot. HATES the cone, but she'll get used to it. Thanks. So glad I brought her to the vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Generally if the person who brought the dog in wants to take it, they need to wait five days for someone to claim him/her, then they get first preference. It is not an "official rule", but it is done out of courtesy.

Yeah i get what you mean now. I thought you meant the dog would just be given back free of charge to the finder. ;)

Yeah i get what you mean now. I thought you meant the dog would just be given back free of charge to the finder. ;)

Oh god no :) but in saying that, I wouldn't mind paying the fee, after all, most of the workers in the pounds are volunteering and they get feck all money from the government.

Oh god no :) but in saying that, I wouldn't mind paying the fee, after all, most of the workers in the pounds are volunteering and they get feck all money from the government.

Not true! I think you are getting confused between rescues and pounds.

Pounds are run by either a local authority or a contractor for a local authority and are funded by the local authority out of your taxes and any licence fees and fines their wardens collect. Any workers there are being paid and any money you pay to reclaim or rehome a dog goes to the local authority who in turn pay the pound.

In some pounds they do allow volunteers in to walk the dogs, in some they don't but these volunteers will have nothing to do with the day to day running of the pound itself.

If there is a rescue allowed in by the pound then they just take the dog when it's time is up. No money is given to them by the pound and in come cases the rescues are actually charged a release fee by the pound all of which goes into the councils coffers.

Of course I'd pay whatever the adoption fee is but he would have a home with me until he found a. Ew one as far away from the former owners as possible

Toulouse wrote: »
    Not true! I think you are getting confused between rescues and pounds.

Pounds are run by either a local authority or a contractor for a local authority and are funded by the local authority out of your taxes and any licence fees and fines their wardens collect. Any workers there are being paid and any money you pay to reclaim or rehome a dog goes to the local authority who in turn pay the pound.

In some pounds they do allow volunteers in to walk the dogs, in some they don't but these volunteers will have nothing to do with the day to day running of the pound itself.

If there is a rescue allowed in by the pound then they just take the dog when it's time is up. No money is given to them by the pound and in come cases the rescues are actually charged a release fee by the pound all of which goes into the councils coffers.

When I adopted my guy nearly 3 years ago from Ashton dog pound (the only dog pound in county Dublin which is run by Dublin city council) They told me that there was a security guard and one receptionist and 1 other staff member paid, the rest were volunteers. To adopt him, the cost was 65 euro.

When I adopted my guy nearly 3 years ago from Ashton dog pound (the only dog pound in county Dublin which is run by Dublin city council) They told me that there was a security guard and one receptionist and 1 other staff member paid, the rest were volunteers. To adopt him, the cost was 65 euro.

Ashton runs the pound service on behalf of Fingal, Dublin City, Dun Laoghaire/ Rathdown and as of Aug 1st 2013 South Dublin Councils.

All staff there are paid (you missed the pound manager and the wardens above), there are not a huge amount of them and then there are walkers who come in at weekends to walk the dogs out of the kindness of their hearts.

The pound is funded by the local authorities and your fee (which would have consisted of a release fee and a licence fee) went to the local authority from which the dog you rehomed was from.

Councils do not run pounds out of the goodness of their hearts and neither do the contractors*. There is big money to be made from those contracts.

I'm not saying they don't do their best for the dogs but at the end of the day they are there to provide a service and are paid to do it.

* There is actually one pound in the country run by a rescue for the council and they have the lowest pts rate every year but it's not in Dublin!

Advertisement