Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed for 80-100km Cycle

• 20-01-2014 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

The Cycling Society in college recently announced plans for an 80-100km and back cycle to take place at the end of February which I'm interested in attending. The destination as of yet hasn't been decided on. Just looking for opinions and advice from the more experienced crowd on whether the stated distance would be suitable for myself or not.

I'm relatively new to cycling, since getting the bike roughly a year and a bit ago, I've been out on spins as often as I can, and have covered moderate enough distances many times since from my location in Knocklyon, to areas such as Blessington, general area of the Wicklow Mts, Howth, Dun Laoghaire and Bray. I also use the bike to get to and from college most days, so am used at this stage to long distances, though I've done nowhere near 80-100km at any one time.

I've managed very well on most cycles despite not possessing a road bike or any proper cycling kit. Bike is a Trek 3500.

Although I intend to pick up some cheaper kit before the planned date, I'm not sure being able to borrow a road bike will be possible, nor am I at all used to these types. Purchasing one is also out of the question. Are these absolutely essential for such a distance? Will I struggle too much using an MTB or would some routine exercise and practice on my current bike until the cycle takes place be enough to get me through? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

at 80-100km I would say you'll be fine, especially if you do a fair amount of cycling anyway. It'll be tough but doable and will take you longer than on a road bike obviously so don't try keep up with everyone at the start.
    up the pressure in the tyres to whatever the max on the sidewall is, that'll go a way to reducing the drag off thicker mtb tyres for such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

If you aren't using the bike much off-road you could put slick tyres on, that would make your on-road riding quite a bit more efficient. I normally have slick tyres on my hybrid but I have wide, knobbly, studded ones on it at the moment (expecting some ice next week). Did 175 km on them on Saturday and found it painfully slow going - there are probably faster joggers out there. Maybe I was slow because half the ride was in the dark, maybe because I was towing a trailer for the first time, maybe because it was the first ride of the year and I'm not cycling fit yet - but I think my main problem was my tyres. At least I hope that's what it was, since then all my troubles would evaporate as soon as my slicks go back on.

You'll be fine, though, even on knobbly tyres - 100 km is very doable if you can resist the temptation to start out too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Cheers for the tyre tip CM, I'm assuming (and hoping!) it'll be a casual cycle with regular stops for food and breaks, but I'll find out. Given the distance, I'm starting to look at energy bars / gels to bring along which I hope might compensate a bit for the mountain bike (?) Are there any people can recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I would find an MTB tough but do-able over 100km. I cycled Dublin to Tullamore a few years ago - mixture of canal tracks and tarmac. It might be better stick to what you're used to for the first long distance spin - no point getting on a road road bike and finding out you're in pain / discomfort after 20km or so due to different posture, set up , etc.

In terms of energy, I would start off with a good breakfast. Bring a few bananas, slices of fruit cake or a few fig-rolls - eat little and often. They work for me anyway. If you can bring water bottles, consider 2 - one with plain water, one with an energy drink (like hi-5 tabs).

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Food is very personal, my own take on energy stuff is to stay natural as long as you can. Ideally you should try few before the event, especially gels, which tend to upset stomach more than bars from own experience. I use PowerBar and SIS bars, they work pretty well for me, but for century ride I would most likely stay with just bananas, flapjack oat bar, dried figs, buy can of coke on the way (it's not natural, but it's heavenly refreshing at that time alone for some reason :)). Don't forget to hydrate well. Worth having food before you start feeling exhaustion as having a food too late usually doesn't work for me at least.

I would also rest at least a day before the event. Some pasta a day before is also good ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Get Padded cycling Bib-Shorts (if you don't already have a pair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

At the very least try borrow one of the hybrid lightweight bikes, these are very like a road bike but with flat bars..

Even if you have to rent one !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

This the DIT trip? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Get Padded cycling Bib-Shorts (if you don't already have a pair)

Skin lubricant as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

its supposed to be what you cycle in a week you can do in a day, so increase your training

• Advertisement
Advertisement