Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Sweeping ,Castlebar

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭

Im not surprised Castlebar has come 2nd last in a recent litter survey. the town, espically the ring road is a disgrace. has the town no road sweeping truck that could actually clean up the streets. also on the round a bouts, you cant even see the lines on them anymore theres so much pebbles/grit covering them. the only nice area I can think of is the lake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Im not surprised Castlebar has come 2nd last in a recent litter survey. the town, espically the ring road is a disgrace. has the town no road sweeping truck that could actually clean up the streets. also on the round a bouts, you cant even see the lines on them anymore theres so much pebbles/grit covering them. the only nice area I can think of is the lake.

the town does have a road sweeper. the lack of bins on the ring road is awful. you can go from centra/mcdonalds to the corrrib oil without coming across a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

irishgeo wrote: »
    the town does have a road sweeper. the lack of bins on the ring road is awful. you can go from centra/mcdonalds to the corrrib oil without coming across a bin.

There is a bin between Casey's and Corrib Oil on the turn off to the hospital but it's only the one which isn't enough

The other major issue in the town is people refusing to clean up after their dogs. The amount of sh1t I come across every evening when out for a run is a disgrace. It's getting worse and worse each week.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thats why Westport tidy towns wins so many awards unfortunately and there is now a mindset in Westport with people to not litter, doesn't always apply of course but it helps.
    As said though need way more bins, but cut backs in the budgets means that they won't be emptied either.
    Its shocking the state of some of the roads in Castlebar.
    The dog sh**e is unacceptable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

[IMG][/img]Dogposter_zpsd7fe3e1d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thats no excuse for just chucking stuff on the ground though.

• Advertisement

Thats no excuse for just chucking stuff on the ground though.

no i agree, but thats not the mindset of people today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

yop wrote: »
    Thats why Westport tidy towns wins so many awards unfortunately and there is now a mindset in Westport with people to not litter, doesn't always apply of course but it helps.
    As said though need way more bins, but cut backs in the budgets means that they won't be emptied either.
    Its shocking the state of some of the roads in Castlebar.
    The dog sh**e is unacceptable though.

Yeah, but Westport put in the effort. I've been through Westport at 9AM after the festival weekend and it's spotless and bins emptied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Yeah, but Westport put in the effort. I've been through Westport at 9AM after the festival weekend and it's spotless and bins emptied.

Tidy Towns Volunteers that put in the effort! Plus they get HUGE amount of funding and grants, but that's off topic sorry.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Tidy Towns Volunteers that put in the effort! Plus they get HUGE amount of funding and grants, but that's off topic sorry.

Yip but regardless of funding there are a core 30 or 40 volunteers who rotate the daily clean. They can be annoying though at times, but I suppose it keeps the place v clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Have Castlebar a tidy towns committee, id join if they had. but never hear a mention of them. but the approach roads/ring road needs attention. ya cant even see the lines on some of the round-a -bouts with them amount of stones/gravel/dirt on them. once over with a road sweeper would do it.

• Advertisement

Have Castlebar a tidy towns committee, id join if they had. but never hear a mention of them. but the approach roads/ring road needs attention. ya cant even see the lines on some of the round-a -bouts with them amount of stones/gravel/dirt on them. once over with a road sweeper would do it.

http://www.castlebartc.ie/Publications/index.aspx

check out the environment section.

http://www.castlebartc.ie/Councillors/TownCouncillors/Name,8154,en.aspx

Thérèse Ruane (Sinn Fein) is on the tidy towns comittee.

Normally sinn fein are quite good at local issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Castlebar ,espically the outskirts, eg breaffy road, ring road, is till a disgrace. full of rubbish dumped everywhere. I presume the Mayo coco are broke or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The failure of dog owners to clean up after their dogs is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

seligehgit wrote: »
    The failure of dog owners to clean up after their dogs is beyond a joke.

In the last month its become even worse. I have often seen owners letting their dog do their business in broad daylight on the path beside a busy road. They couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Speaking of dogs on Castlebar's streets:

http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/19538-castlebar-councillors-told-broken-glass-on-castlebar-streets-has-injured-a-guide-dog-on-three-occasions-since-christmas

CASTLEBAR COUNCILLORS TOLD BROKEN GLASS ON CASTLEBAR STREETS HAS INJURED A GUIDE DOG ON FOUR OCCASIONS SINCE CHRISTMAS
    Created on Friday, 14 March 2014 08:52

Last Night Castlebar Town councillors Signed off on their final Roads Budget as the local Authority will be abolished after the May local elections.
    The road budget for the county town this year is 725,000 euro.
    The problem of glass on footpaths and streets of the town was highlighted by local man Tomas Langan at last night’s meeting. Tomas who is visually impaired has a guide dog and his guide dog has been injured by glass in the town on four occasions since Christmas.
    Speaking to Midwest News this morning Fine Gael councillor Brendan Heneghan said it’s important that everyone ensures that there are no broken bottles or glass outside their homes or business premises that can pose a danger to guide dogs, young children, and others.
    He said while the local authority works to clean up the streets it’s essential that the general public also take responsibility to ensure everyone’s safety.

who is responsible for the issuing of on the spot fines for fouling the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

who is responsible for the issuing of on the spot fines for fouling the street?

There is an on-the-spot fine of €150 for dog fouling.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/litter_law.html
    "You can be issued with an on-the-spot fine by a litter warden appointed by your local authority or by a member of the Gardai."

The dog warden also has the authority to issue the fine I think.

Although on re-reading your comment I'm not sure if you mean dogs or fellas (mostly!) peeing on their way home from the pub/club.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    There is an on-the-spot fine of €150 for dog fouling.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/environmental_protection/litter_law.html
    "You can be issued with an on-the-spot fine by a litter warden appointed by your local authority or by a member of the Gardai."

The dog warden also has the authority to issue the fine I think.

Although on re-reading your comment I'm not sure if you mean dogs or fellas (mostly!) peeing on their way home from the pub/club.

i meant the dogs.

Advertisement