Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my frame for the dump or still safe enough?

• 20-01-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I have a carbon frame (Boardman) that's a few years old. I recently had a tire rub against the rear of the frame and wear right through to the tube and, on removing the wheel, noticed that it had also worn the frame.

I've attached a few pictures. Do you think this is safe enough to continue cycling or do I need to replace the frame (I've already purchased a new wheelset)?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

332mfdu.jpg

2u88lud.jpg

sb29mg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd ride that.

Probably a good idea to lacquer over the area to protect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I'd agree with Lumen, it will be grand, but have to ask……..

How long was the tyre rubbing on the frame? How did you possibly not notice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭marathonic

spyderski wrote: »
    I'd agree with Lumen, it will be grand, but have to ask……..

How long was the tyre rubbing on the frame? How did you possibly not notice?

Thanks for the reply. I noticed it after a long downhill cycle at speed but am not sure whether it was rubbing before that. It's through my own stupidity I guess because I rarely check spoke tension or anything like that.

It looks like I got away this time and will make increased maintenance one of my top priorities this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

It's for the dump definitely. I'll meet you wherever you want and 'dispose' of it for you to save you the hassle if you'd like
    ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭marathonic

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    It's for the dump definitely. I'll meet you wherever you want and 'dispose' of it for you to save you the hassle if you'd like
    ;-)

That's very nice of you. That'd save me the cost of skip hire. How much would you charge for this service ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Free of charge. I'm a very nice guy. Just pay it forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I can't believe that no one has yet suggested a new bike. That's the answer to all questions here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ashleey wrote: »
    I can't believe that no one has yet suggested a new bike. That's the answer to all questions here

Either that or hi viz. Do you even pay road tax?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

endacl wrote: »
    Either that or hi viz. Do you even pay road tax?

:D

That groove in the frame will be useful for attaching the required registration plate with zip ties. Also his bike roadworthiness certificate and insurance disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

I would get one of the carbon repair guys to take a look at it. Was discussed on the boards in 2013. I'd say its plenty strong now, but for piece of mind when you are defending at 70km/ph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

thats those lads at halfords again, bad assembly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭browsing

I'd ride that!It looks like you've worn into the paint and just about started wearing into teh carbon. There's always a factor of safety in these things so I'd say you're well in the clear how little is worn away. Also, it'd be more worrying if it was on the top or bottom than the side.
    However, if you don't trust it, I'll put it to good use!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

marathonic wrote: »
    I've attached a few pictures. Do you think this is safe enough to continue cycling or do I need to replace the frame (I've already purchased a new wheelset)?

I have ridden worse. In my case, an overshift caused a huge chip of paint to come off. Over a decade and tens of thousands of miles later, that area cracked.

I knew my stay would go and it did crack during a ride. Still managed to cycle 10 miles home at a decent clip.

The stays are of course integral components. However, when they fail, it is not like a front fork, top tube, or head tube.

Is this the chain stay or the seat stays?

What is concerning is the two different colors of carbon that your wheel polishing shows. This leads me to believe that you have worn through the outer protective layer and are in to the inner.

Also, does Bordman not offer some kind of buy back or crash replacement on their frames?

Another concern is solvents from the road getting directly in to the carbon now that the protective coating is gone.

You need to do something, however, what that is, I do not know. Don't know if spraying paint helps or hurts. Maybe somehow waterproofing with shrinkwrap tube? You want to ensure that whatever you do does not react with carbon.

With all of this said. Roll the dice. I hope you are not a downhiller!

Advertisement