Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello Track Days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If I can get a lend of someone else's bike I will do it.....LMAO. Would love to do it but not on my pride and joy, have to look into a cheap track bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Hmm, this is a good point. I assumed being the day that was in it, it would all be very civilised and safe? I would not be going crazy, certainly dont want to end up in the stones, would cost me a fortune if I did. But still I want to use my own bike, and there is no way I'll be buying a track bike any time soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Hey, I definitely want to go (first time) on a track this year but I can't till i have the full driver licence (currently provisional cat A).

Can you go there with your own stock bike? Do they allow you to go with a two pieces leather?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd call them and see - not sure.

I assume two piece leathers are fine as long as they zip together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

PlayerA wrote: »
    Hey, I definitely want to go (first time) on a track this year but I can't till i have the full driver licence (currently provisional cat A).

Can you go there with your own stock bike? Do they allow you to go with a two pieces leather?

2 piece is fine for trackdays and doing the training day allows people without a full licence to do the normal days. You also don't need a track bike to do a few trackdays unless your only intention is to go out and pretend to be Marquez when you haven't a clue. I have done about 12 in total over the years on my road bikes and haven't fallen off. If your intention is to get faster and down to racing pace then I would certainly recommend it. But you can have a great day and learn and awful lot on a road bike.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think that's my main intention, just to have fun, learn more about riding at pace, gain more skill and become a better rider. I'm sure it would help you ride better/faster/safer on the roads around wicklow etc also. Deffo want to do this now, I just hope its not bloody raining on the day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'd love to do it but I wear a half leather half textile suit. I cost me a fortune and I don't think I'll be replacing it with leathers just yet. Any idea if this is allowed for a track day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

the track day training on a monday makes it really tempting. I work weekends, so might give this a shot for the craic. Have a ****ty old leather trousers which I don't even wear, but could do for just this. :)

I would have confidence in my own ability and I am smarter then the average bear not to be a wally and act the maggot, but other factors do come into play. Weather is one, if its raining Mondello is like an ice rink, bit of un seen oil etc and low slide city here I come. And what about other rider error pretending to be something they are not and hits you? I know its all hypothetical but it needs to be considered......

I am very very tempted all the same.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've always wanted to do a track day but all my gear is textile. So I don't really want to spend the money on leathers to only wear them on track days.

• Advertisement

I've always wanted to do a track day but all my gear is textile. So I don't really want to spend the money on leathers to only wear them on track days.

I am sure someone could sort you with a set of leathers if you stuck up a thread....good few lads I know have 3 or 4 sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

track day training; textiles are ok afair but ring to be sure.

it's tame enough the track day training; lot of slow control; figure 8s; hard front brake braking.

lots of track time tho in fairness. dont be silly and you'll be fine (i did doink the sv at turn 1 pushing for the knee down like a clown) but at the proper track day in the wet, loved it on the fzs.

mondello in the wet is awesome.

last year at kearys bmw track day

might venture out if there's a few lads going, i'll bring a camera (and sambos :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

batman_oh wrote: »
    2 piece is fine for trackdays and doing the training day allows people without a full licence to do the normal days. You also don't need a track bike to do a few trackdays unless your only intention is to go out and pretend to be Marquez when you haven't a clue. I have done about 12 in total over the years on my road bikes and haven't fallen off. If your intention is to get faster and down to racing pace then I would certainly recommend it. But you can have a great day and learn and awful lot on a road bike.

Thanks I am happy to hear that you can bring your own bike there :) I am wishing to pass the full licence early this year so I'll wait for that. I'd defnitely won't go mad with my stock bike, I completely agree with Zascar, I assume you can learn a lot from a day like this and stay humble at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

kaimera wrote: »
    track day training; textiles are ok afair but ring to be sure.

it's tame enough the track day training; lot of slow control; figure 8s; hard front brake braking.

lots of track time tho in fairness. dont be silly and you'll be fine (i did doink the sv at turn 1 pushing for the knee down like a clown) but at the proper track day in the wet, loved it on the fzs.

mondello in the wet is awesome.

last year at kearys bmw track day

might venture out if there's a few lads going, i'll bring a camera (and sambos :P )

WTF is the lad on the beemer doing with his legs? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    No idea.

Novice group; very wet, first timer out...made me nervous just following him/her (can't remember which it was)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Zascar wrote: »
    Hmm, this is a good point. I assumed being the day that was in it, it would all be very civilised and safe? I would not be going crazy, certainly dont want to end up in the stones, would cost me a fortune if I did. But still I want to use my own bike, and there is no way I'll be buying a track bike any time soon...

In fairness it is....but accidents happen. When I was doing it, I was third in a group of ten following the instructor at a moderate pace. The instructor took turn 4 and the guy immediately behind him ended up in the kitty litter (still don't know how he did it) but the girl behind him ended up going in too due to target fixation. Neither were hurt, but accidents do happen.

Having said that, it really is worth doing. Even if you're a decent/capable rider on the road, no harm doing it at all. It's really worth while. @Wonda- I reckon you'll be safe enough doing it on your machine. You'll always have a have-a-go-hero or a member of the "look at me" brigade. But you can't let that stop you doing something I know you'd love. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Below is from another post I made at the following thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83560357, plenty of information there. I would recommend anyone to do it.
    Did it three years ago and I really enjoyed it. My memory isn't as good as it use to be however, below is what I remember. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong or if it has changed since I did it.

The day is split in to two, morning is classroom theory and safety briefing. They also go through the track as well, that's about an hour or two. Once you are done in the classroom they bring you out to the car park(behind the main building) and mainly focus on general control of the machine, breaking cornering etc. during this time they assess you and give you pointers on areas you need them in, I got 98% . All done in a very friendly and professional manner. You break for lunch, fill up your tank now, there is a petrol station 5 minutes away.

The second part is track time, first you are given a demonstration on body positioning etc. and you might get one of the instructors/racers to show you a flying lap. You are split in to groups or 4, might be one less or one more depending on how many that is attending and the number of Marshall's/instructors available. In your little group you will each take a turn following the Marshall for a few laps to show you the lines you should be taking etc. You will be brought in again for a debrief before everyone is let loose on the track, accompanied by instructers/Marshall's.

Make sure to bring sambos and plenty of drink- you will need the drink! You can leave your gear in the class room if you need and its looked after.

Take it easy the first few laps, let your tires warm up before you start pushing it, your going to have the whole afternoon to belt it around. During my training day a few guys binned their bikes in the first few laps, albeit they were able to ride the bikes home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

That lad shouldn't be on a bike let alone track !! :eek:

I say whatever you have get out the there and enjoy it! Warning - it can be addictive! I did 6 back in 2009 but only managed 1-2 a year since with house saving and other stuff. Hoping to get a track bike and maybe do a bit of racing for 2015.
    Some misc pics I had taken on track over the years showing the various bikes (all road) that I used for them
    DSC_4211.jpg
    562347_10201034211231243_1388918631_n.jpg
    1477594_10201710624701157_2098653683_n.jpg
    555455_10202042680456126_967381396_n.jpg
    1380256_10202042525492252_1375952796_n.jpg
    DSC_4004.jpg
    mondellobikes077.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Would love to give it a go and my cornering confidence is pretty shot at the moment so probably could do with it also.
    Only thing is I use my bike year round for commuting and don't have any other means of transport so if I were to bin it I would be in trouble!

• Advertisement

Some great pix there - would love some of me on the track like that. Who took them? I have a decent camera and proper zoom lens - just not sure if I want to hand it to a stranger while I'm on the bike! Plus this thing is on a monday so hard to get anyone to come along...

Went to book just there but it's full. Balls. I could not book earlier as I did not know if I was going to have a bike in time or not. They said there is another Track Day Training session on the 24th of March - so I think I'm going to do that one.

Can't wait as they usually have 1-2 Motorbike Trackdays every month - 3 in July!
    http://www.mondello.ie/calendar/bike_track/

Went to book just there but it's full. Balls. I could not book earlier as I did not know if I was going to have a bike in time or not. They said there is another Track Day Training session on the 24th of March - so I think I'm going to do that one.

Can't wait as they usually have 1-2 Motorbike Trackdays every month - 3 in July!
    http://www.mondello.ie/calendar/bike_track/

Did you get a new bike? Any luck with the claim for the stolen one?

Picking it up tomorrow!! Don't worry I'll post a pic! Got there in the end in with the insurance - was a struggle though! No joy with the stolen one or catching the two rags unfortunately...

So the one yesterday got called off, they did the first half of the day but the Ambulance never turned up so they could not do the rest, but they get to do one of the track days instead. They said there is no plans to do more but it depends on demand. There is another Training session on the 24th of March though.

I intend to do the normal track day on the 30th of March as I heard the training was pretty basic stuff, plus there is a certain amount of training on the normal track days anyway.

In the meantime I'll be watching these videos from the California Superbike School - pretty interesting!

I'm told once you start doing these you catch the bug and want to do more and more! Anyone else tempted to do it?

Keeping my eye out for a cheap track bike, then I will be doing them all the time. Watch this space......

Nice!! So how much is a cheap track bike then? Do you have to have a trailer etc too?

Nice!! So how much is a cheap track bike then? Do you have to have a trailer etc too?

Depends on what you want really. I've seen well set up 03/04 CBR600's and
    R6's going for around 2000-2500 including spares. Probably going to try source an 06 onwards R6 myself. the other option is buying a cheap road bike and doing it so you can skip the trailer/van etc.

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=206282

This may make it more accessible for people wanting to give it a shot

• Advertisement

That's a brilliant idea. I might actually do that as I'd be feckin livid if I binned my new bike.

For anyone who has done it, is a half day usually grand for a beginner?

Advertisement