Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello Track Days

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zascar wrote: »
    That's a brilliant idea. I might actually do that as I'd be feckin livid if I binned my new bike.

For anyone who has done it, is a half day usually grand for a beginner?

Just be aware that the prices don't include the trackday, they are for the bike only.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So lads I'm signing up to the trackday on the 30th - really looking forward to it. I see they do a morning and an afternoon session. Morning is €90 and afternoon is €105 - is there any difference, and is one session generally enough if its your first time?

Is anyone else thinking of coming along? Some people I know from a photography club will be down there taking photos so good opportunity to get some good shots of you on your bike

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Will have to ask my mammy if I can go seen as its "Mothers Day".......I have been very good lately.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Oh Jeasus I did not know that, thanks forn the heads up I'll have to see what I can do and celebrate on Saturday. Let us know if you can make it.

Can't wait for this. Booked in for the sunday morning but may do the afternoon depending. Weather looks decent, dry anyway!. Anyone else going?

• Advertisement

Best of luck m8....no heroics now d'ya hear me, Well not on the 1st lap anyway. Will be out for a spin on sunday with da mother on the back of the bike. Might be around Kildare ya never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Can't wait for this. Booked in for the sunday morning but may do the afternoon depending. Weather looks decent, dry anyway!. Anyone else going?
    Was supposed to be out but got a window to get the bike into ndm to get the suspension done and give the bike a look over so I'm sitting it out . What bike are you on ? I should be floating about , I'll keep an eye out for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Enjoy!

It should be great fun. :)

I won't be along this weekend, but might make it another time.

Don't bin your bike. :P

w6HahvC.jpg

Any vids Zascar....

• Advertisement

I have one video but it's rubbish. I used the GoPro chest mount but it's staring at the tank most of the time.

Anyway, the day was great I really enjoyed it. Weather was a bit pants unfortunately. Drizzley a good bit and the track was greasy as fook on the first run, really could not get into it at all. By the second session I was a lot more comfortable and a few laps into it I was grand, giving it a bit of stick and hanging off the bike trying to get my knee down etc. I was probably miles away but it felt great anyway! Found it tricky to get my proper lines and braking points.

I did not do the afternoon as it was raining but I'll deffo be back. Would love to do it again on a dry day, I'd have a lot more confidence on a dry track! Will also seek out some proper training and get an instructor to follow me also.

I dont think I'll be setting any lap records but I enjoyed it anyway - I'll deffo be back! Plenty more days coming up! https://www.mondello.ie/calendar/bike_track/

Should have turned the camera upside down in the harness so it records more of what you want to see.......you can flip the recording in the go pro free software. Works very well.....you can also adjust the setting to record narrow instead of Wide screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

As long as you enjoyed it Zascar.

Hopefully you will get a dry, sunny day next time.

Action shot from the day!
    TW9tGuE.jpg?1

Bike is looking very well Zas, its a beaut! State of them levers Ughhhhhhh....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I came from Galway for the afternoon session on Sunday. It was raining when we went out first time and my visor kept fogging up. Couldn't see a bloody thing half the time! Switched to a pin lock for the other two sessions and that solved that problem but I found it hard to get confidence on the wet track. Even on the straight I couldn't get high in the rpm or the back tyre would lose grip. It was nearly dry for the last few laps but still very greasy in spots. I caught up to another rider on the second last lap and tried to get past him coming out of Dunlop but ended up sliding the rear and nearly highsided when I let off the throttle. Wasn't as much fun as it would have been in the dry but I did notice I had more confidence than usual riding on wet roads on the trip home, so at least it wasn't a complete waste of time!

I would have been a bundle of nerves which IMHO would have ruined the day for me. Fair play doing it in the wet lads it will deffo stand to you experience wise.....dont think I would be as bad if I was rented some dudes bike all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Thinking of doing this next month but I havent done any track days before.

There is a track training day there too but the last one is today, only runs Mar-Jun. Is it a bad idea to just hit the track day without doing the training day? Been biking for years but no track experience. I know they're split into groups but how to they assess that, do you just nominate yourself for a specific group?

CALENDAR
    TRACK DAY TRAINING - Tuesday June 13th
    NATIONAL TRACK - Monday July 10th
    INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday July 30th
    NATIONAL TRACK - Sunday August 20th
    INTERNATIONAL - Saturday September 9th
    INTERNATIONAL - Sunday October 8th
    'LOYALTY DAY' INTERNATIONAL TRACK - Sunday October 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

You dont have to do a training day,but I would recommend it.I did it and found it very usefull.

The track marshals are all very sound and helpfull.:)

3 groups too,novice,intermediate and advanced.

Go down to the next track day and tell any of them (they will be wearing hi viz yellow tabbards with their names on them) that you are a newbie to Mondello and you would like 1 on 1 tuition in the novice group.

Any of them will gladly take you around the track and show you the lines to take and the corner speeds.:)
    They will show you how to use your body weight and positioning on the bike,and show you how to brake before the corners and be on the throttle through the corners.

Thread here about the training day,with pictures.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103205665

cheers stewy. Some great info there and some quality pics! Looking at that trackday now in aug. Cant see any training days in the near future so I might just go for it!!

• Advertisement

paulieeye wrote: »
    cheers stewy. Some great info there and some quality pics! Looking at that trackday now in aug. Cant see any training days in the near future so I might just go for it!!

Ive done a few trackdays since that training day,and its addictive.:)

There will be a briefing in the meeting room above the pit garages,and Darren will explain to all riders what the procedure is,basicly its like a training day classroom,but shrunk down into a 15 minute briefing,before the various groups go out on track.

Be there by 9am though.:)

Any of those marshals on the bikes will gladly show you the track,you will follow them for a few laps at a medium pace (staying in their wheel tracks),and then they will signal to you to pass them by,where they will watch how you are progressing.
    Then when back in the pitlane they will give you good advice on how to improve and ride your bike.

You will have a great time,trust me.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As per video...i passed guys like that when i was in the novice group a few years ago...got blackflagged and moved up to intermediate......where i felt uncomfortable ....next time i just waited for clear track or got out first.....:o

As per video...i passed guys like that when i was in the novice group a few years ago...got blackflagged and moved up to intermediate......where i felt uncomfortable ....next time i just waited for clear track or got out first.....:o

Dont think I'll be flying past many on my bandit, probably the other way around! Really looking forward to it...just praying for a dry track..first time out on wet tarmac doesnt sound to appealing but if it rains, it rains!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My top tip for track days (loads done in the UK in cars, none on bikes) is....

Stop before you want to. With open pit lane, pack it in about an hour before you'd like to. With sessions, skip at least the last one.

I've seen some serious crashes and one fatality from people right at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Dont think I'll be flying past many on my bandit, probably the other way around! Really looking forward to it...just praying for a dry track..first time out on wet tarmac doesnt sound to appealing but if it rains, it rains!!

Dont feel pressured to go out in the rain, nobody cares and could be more expensive for you if you drop it..;)

Dont feel pressured to go out in the rain, nobody cares and could be more expensive for you if you drop it..;)

good point, whats the story with cancelling due to rain, lose your money?

good point, whats the story with cancelling due to rain, lose your money?

You lose your money.

Its rain and people will be out on track in the rain.

Do and take things at your own pace. If you dont feel like going out in the rain then you dont have to

You will be fine and you will have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Don't be afraid of the rain , you'll learn more lines and will get smoother by riding at a slower pace in the wet .

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Anyone know where I can find the photographer who was on the most recent track day 6th oct, He was all around the track taking snaps. Would like to get my hands on some, pay him for the snaps if needed. Someone on the day mentioned a 3 letter acronym for the guy but I can't remember.

Any Ideas?

Cheers

EDIT
    Found = https://www.facebook.com/KJCPhotoPrints/

• Advertisement
Advertisement