Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job interview on maternity leave

Options
  • 20-01-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum, I just want to get the opinions of other mums on mat leave.

My leave is due to finish next month but the hours in my current job no longer suit me so I'm looking for something part time. I have an interview for a job share this afternoon (fingers crossed) but I'm not sure if I should mention the fact that I'm on maternity leave. I want to be honest with them but I don't want to hinder my chances... Has anyone else been in the same boat? I'd be interested in how you handled it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    Mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum, I just want to get the opinions of other mums on mat leave.

My leave is due to finish next month but the hours in my current job no longer suit me so I'm looking for something part time. I have an interview for a job share this afternoon (fingers crossed) but I'm not sure if I should mention the fact that I'm on maternity leave. I want to be honest with them but I don't want to hinder my chances... Has anyone else been in the same boat? I'd be interested in how you handled it.

Thanks!

Why should your current maternity leave impact on future employment? Be honest with them, there's nothing worse than being found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Tbh I don't really think it's at all relevant to a new job whether you are currently on mat leave or not. It would only be relevant if you were going to postpone starting work due to the leave. But if you are ready to start work when the jobs start date is then there is no reason for you to bring this up at all is there?

Of course if they ask you what have you been doing in you curret job the past 6months or something similar then yes... Tell them the truth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I did an interview for the job I'm in now while I was on maternity leave. It never came up in the interview, the were just interested in the role I had been doing. Under employment law you cannot be asked such questions as they could be seen as prejudicial. It only came up when the were offering me the job .

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Thanks all for the feedback, I mentioned it anyway. Dunno if it had any impact but I should hear back by end of week.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hopefully you get the new job, but if not I just wanted to offer an alternative.

You could request to go on parental leave for a period of up to 18 weeks. It would be unpaid, but you could ask to take your 18 weeks in increments of 2 days a week, leaving you working 3 days. During this time you retain your rights to maternity leave and accrue annual leave as if you worked full time. This would give you 40 weeks part time at the end of which you can request to reduce your hours which your employer must at least consider.

More info on it here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

snip

Just as well you're not an employer... Or at least not one with a decent business or work ethic that any intelligent human being would want to work for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

snip

And that's why maternity legislation is in place ... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice ladies! No word on the job so I'm thinking I didn't get it. Ah well..

HL, parental leave is next on on my plan but I'm not too optimistic about getting a 3 day week. The person I replaced was part time and she left for another position because my employers wanted her to go full time. I also asked to go part time for the last few weeks of my pregnancy (which was provisionally agreed to but never confirmed, not that it mattered because doctors signed me off early anyway), and was told my return after maternity leave would strictly be full time. I foresee them agreeing to blocks or the 18 weeks consecutively, neither of which I can afford to take, but not 3 days.

I didn't get the job, and as expected work shot me down for a 3 day week option. Pfft... :-(

C'mon lotto!!

• Advertisement

Pat McGhee wrote: »
    I didn't get the job, and as expected work shot me down for a 3 day week option. Pfft... :-(

C'mon lotto!!

Sorry to hear that Pat. At least you could look at it as good interview experience. Fingers crossed for next interview :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Sorry to hear that Pat. Fingers crossed something suitable will come up.

Could do with lotto win too.... I'm finding it really tough working full time. Stupid work!

I feel your pain Nead, I'm dreading leaving my LO, even for part time! I have another 2 interviews lined up this week so fingers crossed one of them will come through, or the lotto. :D

Advertisement