Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering Iron

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I don't really want to be spending mental money though when I just want to practise and refine the skill first.

Seriously the Lidl station wouldn't be good for just practising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It'd probably be an awful yoke

- temperature all over the place
    - weird handle with disc safety thing ( worse in the long run - you'll never develop the lightning reactions needed from touching hot ends)

You'd have more fun sticking it in your eyes.

Could you borrow/try out a nice one for even a few hours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gctest50 wrote: »

Overkill for what the op wants to do.
    Achilles wrote: »
    I don't really want to be spending mental money though when I just want to practise and refine the skill first.

Seriously the Lidl station wouldn't be good for just practising?

It's 48w, so personally I'd say a bit too much for simple console mods. I use a cheap Antex 15/20w iron with a few different tips...& that's got me through jtagging 360's, to building superguns/jamma looms etc. Perfect iron to learn on, & only then once you are comfy with that, I'd look at moving to a rework station.

Something like this, though just make sure it's one that you can use different tips on - http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-irons/2315405/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    Overkill for what the op wants to do.

It's 48w, so personally I'd say a bit too much for simple console mods. I use a cheap Antex 15/20w iron with a few different tips...& that's got me through jtagging 360's, to building superguns/jamma looms etc. Perfect iron to learn on, & only then once you are comfy with that, I'd look at moving to a rework station.

Something like this, though just make sure it's one that you can use different tips on - http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/soldering-irons/2315405/

Thanks God. I mean Myrddin!

• Advertisement
Advertisement