Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send Eircom DSL Connection 1km - Wirelessly?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭

What would I need on both ends to send the wifi signal about 1km so it could be picked up indoors nearly 1KM away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Ubiquiti gear is very good and reasonably priced.

Two NanoBridge M5's would do it with relative ease.
    If you don't need a load of power, two NanoStation M5's would do it just as easily and a bit cheaper as well.

Nanobridge's going for about €60 each on eBay.
    NanStations for about the same actually but you could get the lower powered Loco model for about €40. Should still be more than enough over 1Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 revver

I think this crowd should be able to help you. Have a chat with them first before ordering anything though!!

I'm thinking something like this for only 1km (short distance).

http://www.irishwireless.net/wireless-outdoor/cpe/routerboard-sxt-lite5?filter=10,1,3,6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

revver wrote: »
    I think this crowd should be able to help you. Have a chat with them first before ordering anything though!!

I'm thinking something like this for only 1km (short distance).

http://www.irishwireless.net/wireless-outdoor/cpe/routerboard-sxt-lite5?filter=10,1,3,6

They'll hardly help with configuring, which is no task for a novice. Mikrotik is enterprise gear, a huge learning curve. You'd be better with the bigger Sextant
    http://www.irishwireless.net/rbsextantg-5hnd?search=sextant

oh no, i didn't mean help with configuring, but help with purchasing ;)
    there's a learning curve alright, but like everything else, there's lots of people willing to help.
    and i'm sure the OP would even find someone who'd install it for him for a pint/cup of tea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks for the advice,

Am I being a bit simple, but is it just a matter of running an ethernet connection and some power to these to enable to transmit and the same to receive, are these completely dependent on perfect line of sight or would the handle a few houses ot trees in the way.
    Does lag become an issue.
    I'd be competent enough, just haven't set up a wireless point to point before.

• Advertisement

You will need line of sight (LOS) most definately... a few trees... well that will cause issues... it will cause signal loss, a few houses will add even more attenuation. Usually if you can place the thing high up on a roof mounted pole that's the ideal...

1km, lag, not really, light travels pretty fast, so you wouldn't notice it. The equipment might, so there's usually a distance parameter you can setup to tell the gear the delay time to expect return packets.

as for power and ethernet... you can in most cases run what's called POE (Power over ethernet).
    A ethernet cable has 8 strands of wire, or 4 twisted pairs.
    for 100mb link you will only use 4 wires or 2 twisted pairs, the other two pairs can be used to send power.
    There's instructions on what to do on the internet if you google this ;)

my advice is just chat to the lads you are purchasing kit from...

p.s. you can get cheap cat5-utp cabling in any trade-electrical store (electricians would go there to buy rolls of electrical cable, light switches, sockets etc. etc.).

Do not be tempted to go to maplin or pc world or the likes, the lads haven't much of a clue...

You need absolute clear line of sight with clearance, end of. It won't work well if the devices just about see each other.

Sextants are gigabit poe, use all strands and carry power

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

If it's just light tree cover you might get away with 2.4GHz over 1Km.
    Be better with clear LOS and 5.8GHz though.

Latency with this gear is usually not an issue.
    With a good link over that distance you should be getting <5ms easy.

There is a bit of configuring required but a basic understanding of networking should see you through.

There is loads of info online as well.

Here is a screenie of bandwidth test using 2x 5.8Ghz Mikrotik Sxt's over about 500m, yes thats simultaneous 93mbit and 114mbit transmit and receive between them, pity the port is only 100mbit (the bigger Sextant is gigabit). These are setup using layer 2 protocol so they don't have the overheads of routing and perform much faster, same as plugging in a cable. Ping times are <2ms. If you want working configs give me a shout, will be looking for a beer donation though ;)

290453.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement