Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture Board

• 20-01-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to construct camper furniture, and Im looking for plywood specifically, 9mm or 12mm. I think 15mm ply or chipboard might be on the heavy side. choosing ply over chipboard for durability purposes. The Ply would need to have a melamine veneer on it in a greyish colour, not interested in timber finishes. Havent had much luck searching for this, does anyone know anyone in ireland that does what im looking for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to construct camper furniture, and Im looking for plywood specifically, 9mm or 12mm. I think 15mm ply or chipboard might be on the heavy side. choosing ply over chipboard for durability purposes. The Ply would need to have a melamine veneer on it in a greyish colour, not interested in timber finishes. Havent had much luck searching for this, does anyone know anyone in ireland that does what im looking for?

Search for voeringer board its expensive, woodworkers.ie can supply birch P ly with melamine again not the cheapest. Large wholesaler in Westmeath too called kantor or kipor or similar. On phone here so not sure of spellings but Google should correct.

Hi,

Search for voeringer board its expensive, woodworkers.ie can supply birch P ly with melamine again not the cheapest. Large wholesaler in Westmeath too called kantor or kipor or simia. On phone here so not sure of spellings but Google should correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 steryan

Noyeks in Dublin do a range of veneered hard boarsds in all types of finishes but you would have to glue these onto a plywood sheet, there less than 20 Euro a sheet. They also do veneered MDF, it's a bit heavy but that's what I used for the van furniture as it good for screwing and glueing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Cheers guys, will give noyeks or kantor a ring, luckily kantor are close to me, didnt know about them.

Cheers guys, will give noyeks or kantor a ring, luckily kantor are close to me, didnt know about them.

Let us know hoy you get on don't go with hardboard or MDF unless its moisture resistant. There's also new hydrolised fibre bord from coillte can't think of the name of to has properties similar to hardwood or fairly new to full scale production so price may be outlandish.

• Advertisement

Let us know hoy you get on don't go with hardboard or MDF unless its moisture resistant. There's also new hydrolised fibre bord from coillte can't think of the name of to has properties similar to hardwood or fairly new to full scale production so price may be outlandish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

Hi,

You could make your carcasses and then get them sprayed

or prespray your sheets

or get DPV to bond formica onto your 9mm birch sheets (plus balancer)

None of these are cheap though, stay away from mdf even the moisture board, mdf will hold smells and its heavy, you should be able to get 9mm grey mel chip sheets in woodworkers in harolds cross.

12mm is pretty heavy all the same. Unless you want to screw into the end grain it's more than you need. I'd go with birch.
    Woodworkers are pretty expensive. DPV are more reasonable I'd try there for reasonable birch ply (robust, white grained, better glue) with enough varnish, sanding and paint you can achieve an even matt and lose the grain.
    Campers are small though so brighter colours are roomier, plus they'll reflect light and save your batteries some work.

Best treat both sides of the sheets to prevent condensation ingress or waxoyl the van panels first (beware it's manky stuff and takes months to "dry").

Advertisement