Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a Feelancer charge more for travel expenses?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

I work from home part time as a freelancer as I also look after my son. I am a web designer so all my work can be done from home but one client wants me to go into the office for a day or two to do some work. Do I just charge my usual hourly rate or do I charge more to cover travel expenses and the fact I would have to organise childcare? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Will you have far to travel?

If yes, then charge your hourly rate. If not, and especially if they're a good client, I wouldn't bother.

Re childcare - I personally don't think that this is a legitimate business expense. It's definitely an expense to you - but I don't think you can pass it on to the client.

I would however, slip it in to conversation, and unless they're paying you well, I'd consider mentioning that you don't normally work on-site.

Also, if it's a one-off meeting at the start of a project (or similar) then it's part and parcel of the contract. You might just have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

I wouldnt have to travel far so I dont mind that too much and I take your point about the childcare being my personal issue. They are a good client so I guess you are right, I will just charge my normal hourly rate. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thread moved in case you want more opinions from self employed folks

Advertisement