Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

hey all,

just wondering if anyone has done the cork half/marathon in previous years. not sure if to sign up for it in june

was looking to do a half around that time of the year, and nothing in Dublin that I can see

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sub3wannabe

I'm thinking of doing this race too, I hate running in races where there's a shorter version going on in conjunction though, can be messy!

I'm presuming being the second capital and all that its the best organised Irish marathon after Dublin. I'm not fussy, decent water stops and a bit of support does me grand. I got put off Belfast for said reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Done a couple 10kms last year & now looking to step up. It is annoying when doing 10kms & having walkers in front of you, holding you up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Just in case some of the previous posts caused any confusion:

The Cork HM, Relay & Marcourses are held on roads closed to traffic. In the two sections where the route is alongside traffic, the runners area is a full traffic lane wide, plus, where it exists, a cycle lane.....so plenty space.

<nudge, nudge...don't tell anyone!!> Consideration is being given to changing the start area for the Half, eliminating the early hill just after Blackrock Castle. This option puts the start within walking distance of City Hall, eliminating any stress arising out of bus issues. NB: This has NOT been decided, simply has been proposed.

Statement of Interest: I'm the AIMS/IAAF course measurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Now that sounds like a great idea, should cut out the congestion on the Mardyk...a starting mat for the half this year and we're sorted !!

• Advertisement

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    Now that sounds like a great idea, should cut out the congestion on the Mardyke
    Change is proposed for the start, so should have no bearing on the Mardyke...however, I seem to recall talk about a delay in the HM start last year (??). If so, that'd have a major bearing on the Mardyke area.
    mr.wiggle wrote: »
    ...a starting mat for the half this year and we're sorted !!
    I gather that's in hand. I believe that there wasn't any at the start last year, due to human/communication error.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Condo131 wrote: »
    ...however, I seem to recall talk about a delay in the HM start last year (??).

My garmin has it starting at 10:58 so 30 mins late give or take.

Are you able to say where the 'new' miles for tha half will possibly be instead of down by mahon and the marina?

Are you able to say where the 'new' miles for tha half will possibly be instead of down by mahon and the marina?
    Not at liberty to say. Anyway discussions on POSSIBLE options have only opened. btw, I didn't say anything about the Marina.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I did Cork last year and it was my first and I was that impressed every intention of doing it again this year, if I'm right Hal higdon programmes should start this week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I paced the Half last year and there were problems with the buses bringing the runners from City Hall to the start (the pacers had to be given special privileges to jump the queue!).
    I forget what exactly the issue was but I think it was mainly to do with some drivers taking the scenic route back to the pick-up area.
    If the new start comes to fruition then it can only be an improvement to take the buses out of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Sorry lads but what date is this hm on?
    just seen its on 2n june, im hoping to do my first hm (bay run) on may 4th, would the cork city hm be too soon after that or could i do that too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'm about 95% sure I'll be doing the full marathon in Cork in June. It'll be my first Irish marathon since 2011 and the first Irish one outside of Dublin since 2007! Will try and make a weekend of it, with it being a long bank holiday weekend.

Sub3wannebe, what sort of time you expect to be running in the marathon? I'm hoping to be in decent shape for unofficial 2:58/59 pace duties for a clubmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Did cork full last year and have it as a backup to Limerick this year if Limerick doesn't go well.

I'm about 95% sure I'll be doing the full marathon in Cork in June. It'll be my first Irish marathon since 2011 and the first Irish one outside of Dublin since 2007! Will try and make a weekend of it, with it being a long bank holiday weekend.

Sub3wannebe, what sort of time you expect to be running in the marathon? I'm hoping to be in decent shape for unofficial 2:58/59 pace duties for a clubmate.

I'm no expert only have one marathon but from what I can gather it give an excellent chance of posting fast times no major climbs in it bar say the tunnel I'm open to correction tough

Yeah, I heard its a reasonably decent course now. I avoided it a few years back when it restarted, as I think the course may have been a bit difficult the first couple of years. Hopefully, I'll have a bit of a buffer in terms of fitness for my clubmate's goal time anyway.

I've hotel booked about half a mile from the start line (I think) for couple of days. Haven't actually put my entry in now, but the price doesn't go up until 31st March IIRC, so I'll leave it for another couple of weeks probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm in for this one too. First time doing the marathon since 2008 (although did the half in 2012), looking forward to it

Yeah, I heard its a reasonably decent course now. I avoided it a few years back when it restarted, as I think the course may have been a bit difficult the first couple of years. Hopefully, I'll have a bit of a buffer in terms of fitness for my clubmate's goal time anyway.

I've hotel booked about half a mile from the start line (I think) for couple of days. Haven't actually put my entry in now, but the price doesn't go up until 31st March IIRC, so I'll leave it for another couple of weeks probably.

Yeah booked into issacs on mccurtain st making a weekend of it with the family looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Im in for the half marathon for this event anyway! should give me the kick to up the training levels and then push on for the summer!! hopefully the prep will go well and i'll stay injury free after it this time!! Looking forward to this now kinda nervous excitement!!

I'm in week 7-8 I missed my run at the weekend which should of being 14 m due to work I did manage to get 10 miles in this morning I wonder should I try and make up the mileage this week

I wouldn't advise going chasing last week's mileage this week. There'll always be the odd missed day in everyone's build-up. Trying to compensate for them can put pressure on the body.

How's everyone getting along with their training? Think I'm more or less on track, despite the mileage not being as high as normal. Did my first 20 miler yesterday.

• Advertisement

Condo131 wrote: »
    <nudge, nudge...don't tell anyone!!> Consideration is being given to changing the start area for the Half, eliminating the early hill just after Blackrock Castle. This option puts the start within walking distance of City Hall, eliminating any stress arising out of bus issues. NB: This has NOT been decided, simply has been proposed.

Hi, any more on this as in there is a possibility there will be a change or it has been abandoned/rejected?

viperlogic wrote: »
    Hi, any more on this as in there is a possibility there will be a change or it has been abandoned/rejected?
    Gardai have knocked the idea on the head...due to lack of Garda personnel.

It involved (partially) closing off a section of road, about 1.3 miles long, for an estimated max of 20 mins. The first 0.6 miles was on quiet roads anyway. Everyone else involved reckons it would have been a "no brainer".

The Gardai have suggested an alternative, which I hope to look at (unofficially). It won't give the required distance, but as it was the Gardai's suggestion, it might be harder for them to say "No" to a modification.

I wouldn't advise going chasing last week's mileage this week. There'll always be the odd missed day in everyone's build-up. Trying to compensate for them can put pressure on the body.

How's everyone getting along with their training? Think I'm more or less on track, despite the mileage not being as high as normal. Did my first 20 miler yesterday.
    Apart from this weekend I'm getting there and thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

The heat last year was a killer.

I was a full 10 minutes slower doing the half, than I was in training. 30 min delay at the start didnt help either.

Doing the full this year, so looking to beat my 3:41 Dublin time

I was a full 10 minutes slower doing the half, than I was in training. 30 min delay at the start didnt help either.

Yeah it was hot, I'm currently doing 90 mins for ten miles which was a good 5 to 10 mins faster than last year so I'm happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Going along well at the moment. I'm following a P&D plan 55-70mpw, in week 8 now. Missed the odd run here and there but generally sticking pretty well to it, which is a first for me :o a 20 and 21 miler done so far, which again by my usual standards is pretty good. Definitely the most sensible and disciplined marathon training i've done to date, and determined to stick with it.

It certainly was, I was doing the full and was on target for a 3:25, hit halfway at 1:42, but the humidity/heat began to rise at around turners cross / the lough area and ended up finishing 3:34. Was determined for a sub 3:30 and so did Waterford 4 weeks later and got my sub 3:30 with a 3:26 thou the heat/humidity was tough there also down in Tramore.

Everyone was effected in Cork, I passed halfway mark in 250th place and finished in 235th yet dropped 10 minutes

Not going to do the full cork this year as doing the full limerick marathon 4 weeks prior but will do the half in Cork this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Looking forward to this myself. Ran the full last year and suffered along with the rest of ye with that humidity..
    Sticking to the half this year and really looking forward to it...
    Found an interesting new half marathon training plan here
    Nice small mileage weeks compared to last year :D
    and some interesting speed work thrown in..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

any more interest in this event? I signed up for the half anyway. Prices went up last night as far as I know.

Think the closing date for entry is at the beginning of May

• Advertisement

Just wondering what to do I have this injury at the moment which is very like shin splints, I've no access to a physio as I can't afford it, with 8 weeks left everything paid for, has anyone got suggestions I'm running ok at a slow pace yesterday I did 15 mile in 2hrs 25 I'm thinking should I forget about running during the week maybe do the bike just to keep the fitness up and consentrate on the long runs at the weekend I was hoping to better last year time of 4hrs 31mins but I think at the moment I would be happy just complete it, I've tried several different insoles and even tried last years runners would grateful for advice

Advertisement