Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I'm struggling with a calf problem

Have you had a physio look at it? I recently had a hammy issue and my physio did dry needling on it and it's like I have a new pair of legs. Painful procedure but unreal results, for me anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

viperlogic wrote: »
    Have you had a physio look at it? I recently had a hammy issue and my physio did dry needling on it and it's like I have a new pair of legs. Painful procedure but unreal results, for me anyways

Yeah I will try that only I have to get the bobs up I'd say there not cheap

Organizers just confirmed that those doing the full marathon will have their names on the bibs, no such luck for those doing half thou. Nice addition and getting more popular now in marathons. Great for the encouragement when you hear your name shouted out

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Yeah was delighted to see the names will be on there as well..will be something nice to have as a momento for what will hopefully my first of many marathons

viperlogic wrote: »

Got a deep tissue rub from my wife mate did a great job and gave me a load of stretching exercises which seem to be doing the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

In case anyone wants to familiarise themselves with Cork in advance of the June w/end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Fantastic weather for long run this weekend :-(

I feel your pain PP - serious winds out there today. Not looking good for the 19miler. Looking slightly better tomorrow think I will push it out a day!

Some advice from more experienced runners please...

I'm considering doing a half marathon in Killarney two weeks before my first full in Cork. As part of Hal Higdon novice2 plan I'm scheduled to do 12miles on that day anyway . Would you advise for or against?

Thanks!

I'm considering doing a half marathon in Killarney two weeks before my first full in Cork. As part of Hal Higdon novice2 plan I'm scheduled to do 12miles on that day anyway . Would you advise for or against?

Thanks!

If you haven't signed up yet I would be saying not to bother - think it will be hard not to get carried away and run faster than you should be.

I personally wouldn't enter a run unless I was able to give it full effort and try and get PB.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Have you ever raced before in a big event? If not then there's no harm in doing it to get used to the feeling of a race eg crowds, water stations, pacing yourself etc etc. You could practice your race morning routine of up early and eating etc. of course you won't be going at race pace but your LSR/easy pace.

If you have race experince then save your money!

Thanks guys. Yeah I have raced in a few before 5k/10k/Half and not yet signed up to this. I was thinking of going for this at a relatively leisurely pace but I know what you mean probably best to save my money - I'm as flathiulach! (sp?) It's just the setting entices me, I've never run around those parts and was thinking of making a weekend of it.

Ah sure waiting to hear back from a buddy on whether they're interested, will make my final decision then.

Looking for some advice as you can see from my previous posts I've had injury trouble, it seems to be sorting it self out at the moment, I did a half marathon on Wednesday around Clonbur co Galway which wasn't to bad plenty of hills did it in a time of 2hrs 4mins I did a fast 3m today well in 24 mins, at moment I have a 15 and 16 done I thinking of getting 2 more long runs in maybe two 19s and just fast short runs between now and the event any suggestions would be greatly recieved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Its starting to get to that point now where big mileage increases might be counterproductive, so certainly don't try to do too much. If you can push out the long run to 19 or 20 at an easy pace, it'll be a good confidence booster and get time on your feet.

don't do too much in the last two weeks, last long hard run should be 2-3 weeks before the race.

Did 19miles this evening. Wohoo! Boy was it tough and I pretty much ache all over but delighted to have it down.

Said I'd take the pace nice and easy. Went up along the Navan road and into the park at Castleknock. Plodding away nicely feeling relaxed and enjoying it. Got to the Blackhorse avenue about mile 7 picked up a bottle of water at the shop (can't get comfortable carrying water on me). Took my gel took the water along with me for a small while until I felt the thirst was quenched. Hid the bottle of water in a bush away from the path to have some more on my return the same route home. Stomach started to play up at about mile 9 : / had to take a detour via Heuston to use the facilities at mile 12 (really wish Dublin/Park had more public toilet options). After that debacle was over was back to a nice relaxed pace said I'd head back to get some water for mile 14. Got back and someone had snatched my water - not a happy camper! Miles 15 - 17 were absolute killer calves really starting to hurt, more walking breaks than I'd have liked. Eventually got finished just under the 3:30 mark. Slower than I'd like but no point dwelling on it for my first I think.

Dinner and a nice bath when I got home - feeling much more refreshed! :) Gotta keep stretching and stretching to make sure i'm as painfree as possible tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Thanks!

Generally a small enough field in this event, I think ~300 or so. Dont know if that will affect your thinking but it takes in a nice setting there around Killarney and the demense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

20.5 miles done yesterday, only 1 LSR left to go !!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Did a ten mile race yesterday in 66:41, which has me in decent shape i think (hope!) for somewhere between 3:05 and 3:10 in the marathon.

Five weeks today :)

Its starting to get to that point now where big mileage increases might be counterproductive, so certainly don't try to do too much. If you can push out the long run to 19 or 20 at an easy pace, it'll be a good confidence booster and get time on your feet.

don't do too much in the last two weeks, last long hard run should be 2-3 weeks before the race.

Thanks for the advice it will be my second and again I suffered with nigglely injuries last year with 5 weeks to go I will definalty get 1 last long run in and taper with a 12 and 8

20 miles done over the weekend. Plan to do another 20miler in 2weeks before I start taper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any update on the actual half course? The website still has the details of last years one.

As regards Long runs for the half Ive an 18K planned for Friday was thinking another 18K the following week would be the last 'long' run before it tapering back to 13K or so then the following week. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

slingerz wrote: »
    Any update on the actual half course? The website still has the details of last years one.

Still waiting to hear if the Health & Safety people have signed off on the proposed course mod. Once they've done that, I'll measure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Are you able to provide details on the proposed course modification or is that confidential?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Reminder - Entry Fee's go up after today -
    stock-illustration-22579053-euro-is-going-up.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Cona wrote: »
    Are you able to provide details on the proposed course modification or is that confidential?
    Can't say just yet. There is a meeting tonight (I won't be present) for final sign-off on the route. There has been another change since we reviewed it, so things are a little fluid, however the course has, essentially been sorted.

The start of the HM will be within easy walking distance of City Hall, with no buses. The changed section is essentially flat.

Assuming sign-off tonight, I'd expect to measure early next week, weather permitting.

Got my confirmation for the full today looking forward to it now

Can anyone recommend what to use during the marathon I bought gels today just to try them out, I didn't use them last year even tough I had a few I had also had powder drink which I did use a found it okay

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AshBash30

I'm thinking of running the half but I don't know Cork at all! Does anyone think there would be an issue with following the correct course if you don't already know it, given that it starts with the full marathon and splits?

AshBash30 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of running the half but I don't know Cork at all! Does anyone think there would be an issue with following the correct course if you don't already know it, given that it starts with the full marathon and splits?

The half (until this year thou yet TBC) starts out by Mahon, about 18KM's into the marathon route not at city center like the full. It follows the marathon route for about 1KM before it splits and goes left at the castle for the half and right for the marathon. The half joins the marathon route again at around 25KM into the marathon route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

AshBash30 wrote: »

No problem at all, you'll be fine. Even though the route this year is still to be confirmed...........but it'll be grand.

Advertisement