Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

viperlogic wrote: »
    The half (until this year thou yet TBC) starts out by Mahon, about 18KM's into the marathon route not at city center like the full. It follows the marathon route for about 1KM before it splits and goes left at the castle for the half and right for the marathon. The half joins the marathon route again at around 25KM into the marathon route

Condo131 who is on the organising committee has suggested above that the start of the half marathon is going to be close to the city centre this year. This is great as it will mean we won't have to get a bus out to Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

polaris68 wrote: »
    Condo131 who is on the organising committee has suggested above that the start of the half marathon is going to be close to the city centre this year. This is great as it will mean we won't have to get a bus out to Mahon.
    Just wondering why they start the half say an hour after the full might sound like a stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Airtel31 wrote: »
    Just wondering why they start the half say an hour after the full might sound like a stupid question

Congestion and also having supporters out for both the marathon and half marathon runners at the finish eg bulk of runners coming in around 12:30-2:00. If the half marathon started at 9 instead of 10:30 then the half runners would be coming in as early as 10:15, not many crowds would be lining Patrick street then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Condo131 wrote: »
    Can't say just yet. There is a meeting tonight (I won't be present) for final sign-off on the route. There has been another change since we reviewed it, so things are a little fluid, however the course has, essentially been sorted.

The start of the HM will be within easy walking distance of City Hall, with no buses. The changed section is essentially flat.

Assuming sign-off tonight, I'd expect to measure early next week, weather permitting.

The suspense is killing us!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

Is there any update on the start time/location yet?
    Come on Condo - don't leave us hangin!

At this stage the organisers should have the route sorted out and posted on their website. Less than a month to go.

My money is on the first two/three miles being down monaghan road or blackrock road, and then turn at blackrock village, and join the full marathon at the 15 mile mark, or back around the relay change over at around 16.5 miles. Do I get a prize if I am right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

OK, so I did a quick googlemaps and my prediction is below.
    Course will join up at the 15 mile mark on the marina.
    The half will start on blackrock road around Ashton School
    Its approx 2 miles to the 15 mile mark, and then you have 11 to go for both full and half.

The timing will probably be the same as before as the merge point is the same.

The road down to blackrock is pretty flat ( a small pull at the start, but pancake flat along the marina)

This amendment to the half start location will have many benefits:
    1. no buses needed, and so no delays with the start time due to lost buses etc.
    2. half runners can relax and walk to start from city hall, and not be hanging around for 45-60 minutes in cold and rain (or glorious Cork sunshine!)
    3. The differences in road closures will be negligible from a Gardai/stewarding point of view
    4. There will be a bit of a crowd at the Victoria road relay changeover who can cheer on the half starters; as well as friends and family of the half runners, who can wander to the start and then catch the runners again shortly afterwards as they come back up CPR.

The key to making the half even more successful, is moving the start to the city centre, so well done to those that are pushing for this (and sounds like they are getting it)

We shall see........

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

20 miles for me this weekend then taper time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Just signed up for the team relay event, as the token jackeen on a company team to make up the numbers.

We've only 4 runners on the team, so I'm probably gonna be running 2 of the 5 legs.

Any advice on the most do-able double-leg?

From the "How the Relay Works" doc, Team of 4 section, Option 1/E (last two legs = 9.7mi) or Option 4/A (first two legs = 10.7mi) are clearly the shortest.

But of course the gradients may be worse over the shorter double-legs. I don't know Cork city that well, so any advice from folks familiar with the course would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

geodesic wrote: »
    Just signed up for the team relay event, as the token jackeen on a company team to make up the numbers.

We've only 4 runners on the team, so I'm probably gonna be running 2 of the 5 legs.

From the "How the Relay Works" doc, Team of 4 section, Option 1/E (last two legs = 9.7mi) or Option 4/A (first two legs = 10.7mi) are clearly the shortest.

But of course the gradients may be worse over the shorter double-legs. I don't know Cork city that well, so any advice from folks familiar with the course would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    I would go 1st two legs first major drag is the far side of the tunnel followed by the Mahon slip road then the little drag to Mahon itself tbh I think it's 6 of 1 and half of dozen of the other to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

Thanks!

Fairly flat all round but I would choose last 2 legs - firstly, it's a mile shorter which is a lot if you're struggling and secondly, you'll have the glory leg, running down Pana to the finish.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

How about the first and last, all the glory of the start and finish plus they are the flattest (bar 3rd leg). After first leg you could walk back into town and get the free bus out to final leg. 4th leg is the hardest of them all.

donglen wrote: »
    Fairly flat all round but I would choose last 2 legs - firstly, it's a mile shorter which is a lot if you're struggling and secondly, you'll have the glory leg, running down Pana to the finish.

Haha, nice one!

geodesic pats himself on the back for not having to google "Pana" ;)

How about the first and last, all the glory of the start and finish plus they are the flattest (bar 3rd leg). After first leg you could walk back into town and get the free bus out to final leg. 4th leg is the hardest of them all.

Nice idea, but sadly the relay rules require each team member to take one or more consecutive legs. Not really sure why, maybe someone pulled a "Kip Litton" sometime in the past :)

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I would go 1st two legs first major drag is the far side of the tunnel followed by the Mahon slip road then the little drag to Mahon itself tbh I think it's 6 of 1 and half of dozen of the other to be fair

Interesting point though about the tunnel, probably the most unique feature of the Cork marathon - i.e. I don't think there would be many marathon courses that go subterranean even for a short stretch.

Interesting point though about the tunnel, probably the most unique feature of the Cork marathon - i.e. I don't there would be many marathon courses that go subterranean even for a short stretch.

The tunnel is good fun alright, usually there is a sing song inside or the uggy uggy uggy oi oi oi from the runners.

Don't forget to take the racing line and not hug the outside wall. So many take the unnecessary long route through it every year

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Exam tomorrow so mid week runs have been dropped for the books. A bit scared how that is going to impact my 20 miler on Sunday - hopefully stamina and endurance level hasn't dropped!

Thanks for the tip Viper

20 tomorrow trying out a gels hoping just to get through it still have a slight calf strain after tomorrow rest with long walks I think just to keep mobile till race day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Might be pacing 1:40/1:50 not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

First 20miler done - aching all over but delighted! Let the tapering begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

First 20miler done - aching all over but delighted! Let the tapering begin...

Did 20miles as well today.. was quite warm so hopefully good prep for the big day!

• Advertisement

have we any confirmation on the half course as its less than a month away at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

rom wrote: »
    Might be pacing 1:40/1:50 not sure yet.

Great stuff, got the form in the post last week myself so its all systems go !!
    Thats two of us that have wimped out of the full from last year !! :P
    (make that just one rom, I just remebered you were sunning yourself in France last year?)
    Will be looking for you at the start line, if they ever decide to tell us where
    its gonna be !? :confused:
    Looking forward to the sun/rain, heat/cold, calm/wind...I'm not gonna put snow or hail in there as that would just be plain crazy!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Ran the full for the last 4 years but just doing the half this year as well...it'll be strange coming down the straight road while still running at speed...hopefully anyway!

Bumping this in the hope that there is white smoke on the half course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Doing a 22 miler on Saturday, final long run.

Christ I cant wait for it to be over so I can start drinking again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Start of the half marathon is being brought near city centre in easy walking distance. No need for runners to be bused to Mahon.
    Hopefully they will post the new route on the website/facebook shortly.

New start is flat indeed, only pull (doubt you would even call it that) would be the short but steep one out of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.900698,-8.434372,3a,75y,283h,72.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slMLAf8DfkpgIhCftzZq15Q!2e0

• Advertisement

New start is flat indeed, only pull (doubt you would even call it that) would be the short but steep one out of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.900698,-8.434372,3a,75y,283h,72.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slMLAf8DfkpgIhCftzZq15Q!2e0

you'll be up that in 10 seconds

Advertisement