Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

viperlogic wrote: »
    New start is flat indeed, only pull (doubt you would even call it that) would be the short but steep one out of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Looking at the map closely, it doesn't seem to join the Marina there, it it further up at the other end of the Atlantic pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Ron Scott wrote: »
    Looking at the map closely, it doesn't seem to join the Marina there, it it further up at the other end of the Atlantic pond.

Map has changed in the past few minutes! The red line is the only marginal elevation change in the new section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Anyone unfamiliar with the start basically its part of the flattest 5K in Cork that has super fast times. This is an excellent change. It is a great place for it as traffic is very low in this part of the city also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

rom wrote: »
    Anyone unfamiliar with the start basically its part of the flattest 5K in Cork that has super fast times. This is an excellent change. It is a great place for it as traffic is very low in this part of the city also.

Does it join in with the main route for the last 11 miles then is it?

slingerz wrote: »
    Does it join in with the main route for the last 11 miles then is it?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Really happy with the start, all lovely flat running in a nice area....an excellent change indeed..will merge nicely with the full marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Start has finally been sorted, this morning. There were several sign-offs to be made, but looks like everyone is on board now. The precise start time for the HM has yet to be confirmed - we have to work out the 'choke points' and try to minimise them.

Details of the adjusted route are HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Subject to final confirmation, start is scheduled for 10:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I ran the new course for the half on Saturday apart from the south link section.

Counting down the days now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Did my last 22 miler on Sunday. Getting nervous now.

There'll be some feed of pints after it

• Advertisement

I had to go and get injured last weekend. Back injury most likely ruling me out of this event

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Of course I've gone and injured myself with two weeks to go! If I have done absolutely no running for the three weeks before the marathon, will I still be ok to run it on the day (assuming my injury heals)? I ran my 22m in very good time two weekends ago, but have done nothing since then due to injury. All thoughts welcome!
    Did my last 22 miler on Sunday. Getting nervous now.

There'll be some feed of pints after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Tester46 wrote: »
    Of course I've gone and injured myself with two weeks to go! If I have done absolutely no running for the three weeks before the marathon, will I still be ok to run it on the day (assuming my injury heals)? I ran my 22m in very good time two weekends ago, but have done nothing since then due to injury. All thoughts welcome!

http://eightball.tridelphia.net/ may answer your question. Seek professional advise re your injury.

slingerz wrote: »
    I had to go and get injured last weekend. Back injury most likely ruling me out of this event

Im out injured for this and likely most other events this year.:mad:

As above, certainly get it checked out professionally.

Just as an personal example regards injury prior a marathon, I picked up a niggle at lower end of hamstring a week before a marathon, got physio on it and rested for the week. Niggle didn't reappear on the day but I felt really lethargic on the day and was away off pace. Again, this was my experience, may not necessary apply to you.

I'd go out for a slow jog and see how ya get on. Get a bit of physio and ,if it were me, I'd keep doing core work.

Keep yourself ticking over and you should be grand.

I find tapering the hardest part of the training. Just hope i've "studied" enough for this test

rom wrote: »
    http://eightball.tridelphia.net/ may answer your question. Seek professional advise re your injury.

Thanks - the magic 8 ball wouldn't commit itself to a clear answer 😉

I guess my question is this: I got injured 3 weeks before the marathon, but I had already done an 18m, 2x 20m and a 22m before i was injured and in good times. Assuming my injury heals, will I keep my fitness for the marathon if I do no running in those final three weeks and just let the injury heal? Should I be revising my target time down in light of missing the final three weeks taper training?

Thanks - the magic 8 ball wouldn't commit itself to a clear answer 😉

I guess my question is this: I got injured 3 weeks before the marathon, but I had already done an 18m, 2x 20m and a 22m before i was injured and in good times. Assuming my injury heals, will I keep my fitness for the marathon if I do no running in those final three weeks and just let the injury heal? Should I be revising my target time down in light of missing the final three weeks taper training?

Same as myself so. You should be tapering now anyway, you have the big miles done. I reckon you'll fly it.

What time are you looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was training for Dusseldorf on April 27th and about 3 weeks out I got an injury combining ITBS and hamstring strain. I did very limited running in between hoping it would heal in time. It didn't feel too bad on the morning of the race so I went out for goal time, however after half way the injury started catching up with me and by 25km it was a matter of getting to the finish and forgetting about the goal time. In reality the final 15km were total agony of walking a helluva lot more than running. I managed to finish but was in bits for the next few days. To put this in context it was my 30th marathon so i had plenty of experience of tough days but this was right up there with the worst of them.

I'd advise that if you want to run it then give it a go but definitely ease back your goal pace/time.

Same as myself so. You should be tapering now anyway, you have the big miles done. I reckon you'll fly it.

What time are you looking for?

This is my first ever marathon (or race of any kind), so hoping for sub-4 hour. At least I was before I got injured! Was comfortably looking at that time in training, not so sure now.

• Advertisement

This is my first ever marathon (or race of any kind), so hoping for sub-4 hour. At least I was before I got injured! Was comfortably looking at that time in training, not so sure now.

I did that kinda training for my first one last year, in Dublin. Came in at 3:41.

Rest up and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

The Mile Markers are up! Getting very close now!

Planning to run the new half route this weekend so will have a garmin map for it that I'll add here

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Airtel31

I was injured about 6 weeks ago have had very little mileage since then only fully back this week really I'm doing the full the biggest mileage I done before the injury was 15 miles in the last week I've only being doing short runs I'm thinking am I wasting my time I had a calf and hamstring strain

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Airtel31 wrote: »
    I was injured about 6 weeks ago have had very little mileage since then only fully back this week really I'm doing the full the biggest mileage I done before the injury was 15 miles in the last week I've only being doing short runs I'm thinking am I wasting my time I had a calf and hamstring strain

I would think so. Hammy injury can drag on for a very long time if you don't look after it. Rest up get some physical therapy plenty of ice and stretching and build up gradually and wait til you can do yourself justice is my advice. No point running it doing much more damage and being pissed off for the few months it will take to come back from an injury you've made worse yourself. I've been there.

Sorry buddy but it doesnt look good

You could always contact the marathon office and ask to do the half instead

I'm going to travel as we were making it a family weekend with hotel booked, my mate has given me a deep tissue rub since my post this morning he feels that it was a minor strain and that only thing holding back would be lack of miles but if i wanted to get through it at far slower pace still undecided at the moment

viperlogic wrote: »
    You could always contact the marathon office and ask to do the half instead

I might try that thanks, I'm going to take the weekend to decide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Disaster for me :(
    Severely pulled a hamstring, not running but effin gardening off all things !!
    (yes, I have a HUGE garden, and obviously weak hamstrings :p )
    Have asked to be deferred to next years race, hopefully they will accommodate my request!?
    Nothing to do now except rest and more physio.
    Must find a half to target in July maybe.
    Best of luck to the rest of ye sloggers, I'll be on the course by Bishopstown Credit Union handing out nice cool orange slices which should help get ye
    up that last climb at Model farm Road !!

Mr.W~

Advertisement