Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork half/marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

10370992_10152463250245909_5732470695501238441_n.jpg

10314669_10152463251300909_1013768757536503262_n.jpg

10300644_10152463251580909_2443725182915798234_n.jpg?oh=9b8714db097cc79a73fde252f3330d14&oe=53EEEE78&__gda__=1409027710_020bad7f4315ac2740f640c1a8951f6e

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Must be something in the air..also feeling a hamstring strain in left leg..think I will lay off all activity for next week and hope for the best. Making me quite nervous tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

I'll be running leg 2 of the relay (Silver Springs -> Ringmahon), anyone know the situation re. waiting around afterwards?

i.e. are the buses back from the change-over point to the city centre fairly prompt?

Also is there a wait around for the medal/t-shirt after the early relay legs finish?

(just wondering about when to organize a life/bus home)

geodesic wrote: »
    Also is there a wait around for the medal/t-shirt after the early relay legs finish?

AFAIK, only the finisher with the chip can collect the medals from City Hall for everyone.

Ran the new half marathon course this morning (bar the 1KM city link section). Can't wait for Monday week now and if the weather is like what it was today then that would be even better. Was around 12c, 85% humidity, and a nice cooling northerly breeze.

• Advertisement

Might as well get this going....

Username|Full/Half|PB|Predicted time|Actual Time
    viperlogic|Half|1:33:24|1:28:00|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Viperlogic, I've just updated this article, on the Cork AAI Co Board's website. It outlines the start area and adjusted route for the HM.

The start is approx. 100m nearer to the roundabout than per your map.

Condo(r)131 - Course Measurer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Took a jog along the last few miles of the marathon route this morning, didn't spot any mile markers after this one so assume they'll show up later in the week.

210g941.jpg

All good from there on anyway, flat 'til you turn onto Patrick St & the slight downhill to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

opus wrote: »
    Took a jog along the last few miles of the marathon route this morning, didn't spot any mile markers after this one so assume they'll show up later in the week.

210g941.jpg

All good from there on anyway, flat 'til you turn onto Patrick St & the slight downhill to the finish.

Hope the election posters don't get in the way of them

Condo131 wrote: »
    Viperlogic, I've just updated this article, on the Cork AAI Co Board's website. It outlines the start area and adjusted route for the HM.

The start is approx. 100m nearer to the roundabout than per your map.

Condo(r)131 - Course Measurer

Cheers, those maps were from Cork City Marathon facebook page!!

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    Cheers, those maps were from Cork City Marathon facebook page!!
    Ah!...I was wondering where they came from! They are probably legacy ones (from someone else's estimate) from prior to measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Ah!...I was wondering where they came from! They are probably legacy ones (from someone else's estimate) from prior to measurement.

Talk is Kim and Kanye running the half. Currently training in castlemartyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Does anybody have the links to the previous half marathon results? - can't seem to find them.

emerald007 wrote: »
    Does anybody have the links to the previous half marathon results? - can't seem to find them.

http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/raceday/provisionalresults/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Everytime I see that 24 mile marker I almost pass out

Everytime I see that 24 mile marker I almost pass out

Hard work is done by the time you get to 24 mile marker as its beside the County Hall which never seems is getting closer once you turn on to the straight road.

Another way to look at it or if struggling on the straight road (mile 23 to 24) is look to your left and know what the pain you are going through was nothing compared to those in the Eglinton Asylum in previous years. On the plus side it's a magnificent looking building aswell as the sights along the river. One of my fav parts of the course

Runner Friendly map/route for those who insist on biking around Cork next Monday.

This allows you to get around fast, without any runners impeding you - you'll be off the course at all times. More importantly YOU won't be impeding any runners.

If you do insist on going against all advice and common sense, and cycle on the course, please *DO NOT* cycle on the section from Blackrock Castle to the Marina, or the Cumann na mBan walk. These sections are narrow and congested. Anyone cycling here deserves to be dumped in the nettles (Not that I'd ever suggest such a thing....:rolleyes:....that's too nice a treatment! :D )

Wrt those concerned about the section on the Carrigrohane Road (aka 'De Straight Road'); break it up into manageable sections:
    Inchigaggin to the start of the Lee Fields walk
    Lee Fields walk to Car Park
    Car Park to Kingsley
    Kingsley to Victoria Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

only 3 miles to run tonight, it is weird knowing it won't get any tougher than that this week :)

Yup 3 miles for me too.

Christ I'm getting palpitations thinking about whats a head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Yup 3 miles for me too.

Christ I'm getting palpitations thinking about whats a head.

trying not to think about it - this time next week it will be over and it will be pints time that is all i am thinking about ! hard work is done - my first one just hope we stay injury free this week!!

• Advertisement

trying not to think about it - this time next week it will be over and it will be pints time that is all i am thinking about ! hard work is done - my first one just hope we stay injury free this week!!

Its my 2nd and my home turf but it doesnt make it any easier.

Take it nice and handy and mind the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Tipp man running

Wrt those concerned about the section on the Carrigrohane Road (aka 'De Straight Road'); break it up into manageable sections:
    Inchigaggin to the start of the Lee Fields walk
    Lee Fields walk to Car Park
    Car Park to Kingsley
    Kingsley to Victoria Cross.

Wise advice....even on a long training run or a tempo run this is how I'd break it down as well.

Took a jog down that direction at lunchtime, happy to report the 25 mile marker for the full & the 12 mile marker for the half have made their appearance! Exactly where I expected them to be strangely enough :)

Took a jog down that direction at lunchtime, happy to report the 25 mile marker for the full & the 12 mile marker for the half have made their appearance! Exactly where I expected them to be strangely enough :)

Did you do the John Buckley 5k last night?

I went the extra mile (literally) after work to grab a shot of the last marker, this will be a welcome sight on Monday no doubt!

14dle0h.jpg
    Did you do the John Buckley 5k last night?

Yup I had a nice run around there with a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Derry247

A friend of mine signed up to do the Half and now is not going to do it. I was thinking of giving it a go instead of her, does anyone know if the registration can be transferred? I assume if I go into City Hall on Saturday they should be able to sort me out? BTW I'm a bloke so I doubt I'd be able to pass myself off as her!

Derry247 wrote: »
    A friend of mine signed up to do the Half and now is not going to do it. I was thinking of giving it a go instead of her, does anyone know if the registration can be transferred? I assume if I go into City Hall on Saturday they should be able to sort me out? BTW I'm a bloke so I doubt I'd be able to pass myself off as her!

AFAIK transfers not allowed, the reason being is that they have details of a certain person with a certain number and if something happened such as an accident then it can cause confusion and possible delays in contacting next of kin etc. In saying that, loads of people each year do transfers. But there's no harm asking on registration day or even contacting them today info@corkcitymarathon.ie 021-4924170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I went the extra mile (literally) after work to grab a shot of the last marker, this will be a welcome sight on Monday no doubt!

14dle0h.jpg

The noise is incredible at this point in the race. Enjoy everyone!

• Advertisement

Who else is running/pacing and what are you hoping for? Like other threads, insert in the table below

Username|Full/Half|PB|Predicted time|Actual Time
    viperlogic|Half|1:33:24|1:28:00|
    ||||

I'm planning to run the first 8K of the half a few seconds faster than overall planned pace so as to have some time in the bank as the following 6K are rolling hills in which I know I will loose some time. Can't wait for it now, really excited to give it all.

Advertisement