Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safest way to carry a six year old on a bike

• 20-01-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭

My son started school this year, he's 5+1/2 years old.

I cycle to work, and have been bringing to school on the bike. its about a fifteen minute cycle with him on board.

He doesnt ride a bike himself, and I'd say a 15 minute commute would turn into a 45 minute commute if we tried it on a scooter.

Was getting my bike fixed at the weekend, and the Polish guy behind the counter made a fairly convincing argument that the seat I've been using for him - the one that goes on the cross bar - is very dangerous in case of an accident.

He advised me to get a tag along (note that his shop didnt sell them, he told me to buy it online, so there was no self interest).

What do people consider is the safest way to carry a 5 or 6 or 7 year old?

Maybe the safest thing is to teach him to ride a bike also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I use a trail-gator to take my girl to school, similar to a tow along but it also means my girl has a normal bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

krissovo wrote: »
    I use a trail-gator to take my girl to school, similar to a tow along but it also means my girl has a normal bike.

Thanks...

So in that instance, you buy a normal bike for your child, and then attach your bike to her bike with the trail gator?

Can she ride a bike on her own? Why would the above make more sense than just letting her ride on her own?

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Can she ride a bike on her own? Why would the above make more sense than just letting her ride on her own?

She can ride but I am in full control of the commute without the worry of her being in control with busy traffic and some bad road cambers. Also means she can learn from my experience.

Mums doing the school runs in the morning are some of the worst drivers I have come across and can be a bit erratic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

krissovo wrote: »
    She can ride but I am in full control of the commute without the worry of her being in control with busy traffic and some bad road cambers. Also means she can learn from my experience.

Mums doing the school runs in the morning are some of the worst drivers I have come across and can be a bit erratic.

Does the trail-gator have any capacity to swing from left to right behind you? Especially as you turn a corner?

Its does and up and down, its fully articulated and when you are not towing it clips on the side of the bike. Its heavy and the balance is slightly off but I find it great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

What's the distance in km, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Ranelite

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Was getting my bike fixed at the weekend, and the Polish guy behind the counter made a fairly convincing argument that the seat I've been using for him - the one that goes on the cross bar - is very dangerous in case of an accident.

What did he say?

At different times I've heard different people on here and off line say that rear seats, cargo bikes, and trailers are dangerous or dangerous looking and others saying the safest or safest looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd teach him to ride.

I've been on the road with kids of that age and it's generally fine although much depends on the road layout. The main thing is to adopt a defensive position behind and to the outside. Then you just have to worry about cars pulling across.

Maybe give him an airzound, although it might get overused :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I have a six year old boy who is an excellent cyclist with great bike control. However I do not bring him on the public road. At 6 his awareness of traffic hazards is nowhere near the level it needs to be. Maybe if we lived in an area with more suitable roads I would bring him out but not at the moment. The trail gator sounds like a good solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Balance the six year old on your shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

veetwin wrote: »
    I have a six year old boy who is an excellent cyclist with great bike control. However I do not bring him on the public road. At 6 his awareness of traffic hazards is nowhere near the level it needs to be. Maybe if we lived in an area with more suitable roads I would bring him out but not at the moment. The trail gator sounds like a good solution.

I haven't used a Trailgator, but it does seem to have a number of advantages, such as that your child can learn by imitation.

However, I think it's OK to have a six-year-old cycle to school accompanied imo. It depends on the roads, of course, as you point out. In our situation there are footpaths available (for the child) but no useful cycle lanes, no safe crossings, very few speed controls and zero traffic law enforcement.

In such conditions cycle training needs to be instigated early and implemented consistently, I would suggest. My child gets a cycling lesson every morning. Which has just reminded me of the value of having trained cycle instructors available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 on the Trailgator

We got lots of use out of it with our 4 year old over the summer. So long as everything's nice and tight there shouldn't be much play, though I did find it creaks a bit. We had some lengthy enough spins - anything up to 2-3 hours with the odd break thrown in, attaching and detaching the bike is the matter of a minute or two (quick release both ends) and there's a bracket to keep it in place on your bike when detached, though I personally found this a bit flimsy and bungeed it to the carrier instead.

Putting him on a bike with you in control might give him the urge to learn for himself as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

+ 1 on the trailgator.

We have been using the trailgator for the last two years and had no issues. If he wants to help he can peddle alaong or just sit back. Have done 25-30k spins with a mix of cycling on his own and then being towed.
    Have a new larger bike for him now and heven't tried, but set-up was this:

iabk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I've used a trail gator for the last 7-8 years. It's a great safe way to get young kids out and about.

I would caution though. The balance takes a bit of time to get spot on.
    And the turning circle is large so absolutely no nipping in and out or turning right corners without planning to have it lined up.

I used a tag on once. It feels similar behind you but it's shorter thus easier in tight spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭slideshow bob

I used a tag-along for several years (and several children) going to pre-school and later on to school. It was a great introduction to urban cycling for them. As mentioned already, the balance takes a bit of getting used to for the child and the driver. As well as the school commute it was brilliant on longer weekend spins that would otherwise have been too far for them to manage unassisted. For convenience I had a separate saddle and seat post and a quick-release clamp so I could quickly switch between the trailer bike and regular bike.

As a certain point the youngster will want to obtain some independence and at that point transitioning to riding their own bike is a bit easier with the experience gained on the trailer bike. Now two of mine bike to school every day and the third does so except during the winter.

Advertisement