Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest way to carry a six year old on a bike

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

My son started school this year, he's 5+1/2 years old.

I cycle to work, and have been bringing to school on the bike. its about a fifteen minute cycle with him on board.

He doesnt ride a bike himself, and I'd say a 15 minute commute would turn into a 45 minute commute if we tried it on a scooter.

Was getting my bike fixed at the weekend, and the Polish guy behind the counter made a fairly convincing argument that the seat I've been using for him - the one that goes on the cross bar - is very dangerous in case of an accident.

He advised me to get a tag along (note that his shop didnt sell them, he told me to buy it online, so there was no self interest).

What do people consider is the safest way to carry a 5 or 6 or 7 year old?

Maybe the safest thing is to teach him to ride a bike also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My son started school this year, he's 5+1/2 years old.

I cycle to work, and have been bringing to school on the bike. its about a fifteen minute cycle with him on board.

He doesnt ride a bike himself, and I'd say a 15 minute commute would turn into a 45 minute commute if we tried it on a scooter.

Was getting my bike fixed at the weekend, and the Polish guy behind the counter made a fairly convincing argument that the seat I've been using for him - the one that goes on the cross bar - is very dangerous in case of an accident.

He advised me to get a tag along (note that his shop didnt sell them, he told me to buy it online, so there was no self interest).

What do people consider is the safest way to carry a 5 or 6 or 7 year old?

Maybe the safest thing is to teach him to ride a bike also.

Thanks.

Get him his own bike.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,350 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I used a tagalong up to about 7 or so . I found it absolutely safe apart from the time I hit junior's head off a parked car's mirror :o if your in Dublin the bicycle shop in Booterstown do them, Im sure other shops do them too. for the time we used it we got a lot of use out of it, brought him into town etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement