Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Results -Thursday 23rd 9am

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

Normally, A 1.1 is an average of 70%. This is an (B1 - A2) average. I would be extremely surprised if a 1.1 in DIT is actually a B3 average. If so, then that would imply that their B3 is ~70%. I highly doubt any (public) university gets any accreditation without first submitting all these details to a governing body who then deems them ok.

Yeah, just figured this out. It's not immediately clear, in fact it's not clear at all. It's taken me the guts of a day to figure it out, which has put me in a foul mood, and even worse, I've figured out that a B1 is not 85%, it's 69%, which sucks. This should be explained to people by UL in a better manner. Or in fact, any manner at all.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Darth Frodo

The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that the grade bands aren't even set in stone. The lecturers often have the final say in what an A1 is and what an A2 is etc. For example I've had lecturers who set the A1 band at 90% and others who set it at 70%.

What information did you come up with in the end? I'm just as curious as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Intel240787

The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that the grade bands aren't even set in stone. The lecturers often have the final say in what an A1 is and what an A2 is etc.

http://www3.ul.ie/llcc/downloads/staff/llcc-grading-scales.pdf

I think. I'm not even sure. I googled UL grading, and up she popped. Bobs your uncle. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The thing that makes it even more frustrating is that the grade bands aren't even set in stone. The lecturers often have the final say in what an A1 is and what an A2 is etc. For example I've had lecturers who set the A1 band at 90% and others who set it at 70%.

Different departments can use different grading bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it possible for your qca to increase by 0.2 in 1 semester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is it possible for your qca to increase by 0.2 in 1 semester?

not if you're QCA is 3.81 or higher :p

It gets tougher to get it up higher, the higher it is, afterall it is an average.

I went from 2.39 to 2.59 this semester with 4 exams and a semester qca of 3.1

4th year exams are worth double the last 2 years tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

Okay I'm a 1st year so apologies for the stupid questions but...

It says I have a QCA of 2.92 is that good or bad?? Does this even matter if I'm in first year or does it get wiped after first year and if it does get wiped does that go for all courses??

Also I got a B1 in a module, as anotheer poster stated above this is actually just 69% and not 84% so is it better that I got a higher grade than the percentage I would have got in the exam or is it bad that I did in fact only get about 69%??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Your QCA is wiped after first year.

The grade for a B1 really depends on who's marking and what grading scheme they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

garv123 wrote: »
    not if you're QCA is 3.81 or higher :p

It gets tougher to get it up higher, the higher it is, afterall it is an average.

I went from 2.39 to 2.59 this semester with 4 exams and a semester qca of 3.1

4th year exams are worth double the last 2 years tho.
    Im 2.28 and I need to be above 2.50 to get a 2.2. Best I can hope for at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

This was posted a while back. Might help some of you out (be sure and go for version 2).

Turns out a 1.1 is possible, but will be require an A2 in the FYP and about 3 A1's and nothing lower than a B2. Doable I guess, but probably won't happen. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭B8ZZ

If your QCA is wiped after first year, I got a 1.92 QCA this semester failing one module. Do I have to do repeats at the end of the year if it's wiped for next year and will my current QCA sway into my QCA after this semesters finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

B8ZZ wrote: »
    If your QCA is wiped after first year, I got a 1.92 QCA this semester failing one module. Do I have to do repeats at the end of the year if it's wiped for next year and will my current QCA sway into my QCA after this semesters finished?

You will still have to repeat that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

B8ZZ wrote: »

You have to repeat any F grades.
    Your QCA after repeating the F grade must be over 2.0 to progress to 2nd year.
    It is then wiped and won't affect your QCA from 2nd year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

If you get something rechecked and the grade goes down do you have the choice to stick with your first grade or do you have to take the lower one?

Advertisement