Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfire the highest Grossing F2P Title of 2013

• 20-01-2014 6:20pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I find this incredible. Lineage ONE garners more revenue than WoW in F2P earnings, that's crazy. And insanely popular in Asia(!) title Crossfire almost sits on a billion in a year.

chart.jpg

Full article here

There was a lot of doubt a few years ago IIRC in this very forum that F2P games will never make the cut due to its 'Pay to Win' circumstances.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I find this incredible. Lineage ONE garners more revenue than WoW in F2P earnings, that's crazy. And insanely popular in Asia(!) title Crossfire almost sits on a billion in a year.

chart.jpg

Full article here

There was a lot of doubt a few years ago IIRC in this very forum that F2P games will never make the cut due to its 'Pay to Win' circumstances.

But wow isn't f2p

EDIT: forgot its Asia and wow has different pay model there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

Looked up Crossfire and it's such a cheap Counter Strike 1.6 knockoff.
    looks rubbish too but have to remember, a lot of folks in china etc are playing games on computers from the 90's so no doubt a game like this will do well.
    We're so lucky to be born in the western world with so many games available to us :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have never played any of those games. And i will never play them. F2P is great, but i refuse to play a game where someone with more actual money than me gets the upper hand*. And results like this are a bad sign for gaming, it will just push publishers to implement more micro-transactions, to the detriment of the game.

*I've no problem with paying full price for a game and there being micro-transactions for getting something early which you can get yourself without having to grind. It's the grinding games with micro-transactions i don't like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you must have played TF2!? if not, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I've played wow, SWTOR and CS off that list.

Never even heard of Crossfire..

What a strange list. Gonna agree with KilOit on the old systems being the main reason.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    you must have played TF2!? if not, why not?

I did, but that wasn't initially F2P if i recall, and you didn't need to buy anything to get the enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I did, but that wasn't initially F2P if i recall, and you didn't need to buy anything to get the enjoyment out of it.

Pretty sure you still don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Can't believe valve are still making over $100m a year on TF2 ! I'd imagine Dota 2 and CS:GO are gonna be on this next (Or at least close to the top 10 anyway for CS:GO).

I certainly think the model that valve follow is the best since they don't hold back on any of the actual content but still manage to gain incredible revenue ! If you compare the player numbers between tf2 and lol, league of legends probably has upwards of 30 or 40 times the concurrent players as TF2... yet only manages to 5 or 6 times the overall revenue. And i'd imagine LoL has far bigger overheads than TF2... quite incredible.

Pretty sure you still don't.

That's my point. With most of the F2P games out there, they kind of pressure you into buying something. TF2 doesn't. It's straight up, and the store is mostly cosmetic purchases. Nearly everything is available from the get go, so i don't include it in most other F2P game classes where grinding is required, or pay to skip is in play.

(Also just realising that TF2 is on the list, so my initial statement is somewhat incorrect!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I used to play crossfire before . Like a cheap cs . It was still good at the time :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement