Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else depressed with house hunting?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Finally after waiting a whopping 7 months our solicitor has the contracts in hand for us to sign on our new home. We actually moved in last June but hadn't signed contracts as there was a major hold up. Cannot wait to sign today and have it done so we can really put our love and own stamp onto the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Congrats! Good luck with the new home!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Bepolite wrote: »
    Could be on hold for some reason, or going sale agreed shortly.

Possibly, but it only went up on the websites last weekend. And when I speak to the staff in the estate agents they say the house is still for sale (no mention of a sale being agreed) and that someone will call me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Possibly, but it only went up on the websites last weekend. And when I speak to the staff in the estate agents they say the house is still for sale (no mention of a sale being agreed) and that someone will call me back.

They're so busy at the moment that unless there is a good reason to call you back they won't. Smug bastards with good reason at the moment, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for estate agents at the moment.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Ciaran_B wrote: »

Might be a little overly sceptical but could it be that the EA may have a purchaser in mind already and doesn't want a bidding war?

Maybe if somebody lives there you could stick a little note in the door with your contact details and a expression of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

moxin wrote: »
    seb65 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too fussy on living in Rialto, but the house is lovely.

I think it's a good sign. Looks like city centre might start to gentrify and it's about time. There's lots of nice, large houses that decent people stay away from because they're in Crumlin, near Dolphin's Barn, etc. Not saying that great people aren't there now, but there are a lot of the anti-social crowd that ruin it for everyone.

The lack of supply might start to make the city centre available for the people who actually work in the city centre, to live in.
    Don't think it will happen In Maryland. Too much of a gamble.
    Googling returns interesting comments by the Gardai. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/five-injured-in-spate-of-stabbing-attacks-in-dublin-29504193.html
    I used to live very close by Rialto and loved the area BUT off the top of my head, there's been two murders within a kilometer of that house in the last year and after a bit of a close call with some of the local fauna, I stopped walking that way to work in Guinness.

My sister-in-law worked in James back in the day and the bridge over the luas line was notorious for car jackings.

After the stabbing of the German student, a number of locals spoke anonymously to the media saying that houses in the area were owned by drug gangs and that certain streets were becoming "no go" again.

The area has great potential but it was always rough, even during the septic tiger years and now the scumbags are claiming their territory back. Any hard-fought gentrification is going to be lost in the next decade IMO so from that point of view, a quarter of a million for a 2 bed there is insane money.

gaius c wrote: »
    I used to live very close by Rialto and loved the area BUT off the top of my head, there's been two murders within a kilometer of that house in the last year and after a bit of a close call with some of the local fauna, I stopped walking that way to work in Guinness.

My sister-in-law worked in James back in the day and the bridge over the luas line was notorious for car jackings.

After the stabbing of the German student, a number of locals spoke anonymously to the media saying that houses in the area were owned by drug gangs and that certain streets were becoming "no go" again.

The area has great potential but it was always rough, even during the septic tiger years and now the scumbags are claiming their territory back. Any hard-fought gentrification is going to be lost in the next decade IMO so from that point of view, a quarter of a million for a 2 bed there is insane money.

Obviously these things can go either way but I think the area will pick up again once the economy picks up. I'm going to look at someone closer to the South Circular and out of the maze of back streets I think to be on the 'safer' side.

250K is still bonkers either way. I can't imagine this is a someone renting it out either as you'd get a similar property cheaper. It's some poor sap that's fallen in love with the place and has been talked up by the EA (His job to be fair). Good lesson for me there as I almost did the same thing.

Obviously these things can go either way but I think the area will pick up again once the economy picks up. I'm going to look at someone closer to the South Circular and out of the maze of back streets I think to be on the 'safer' side.

250K is still bonkers either way. I can't imagine this is a someone renting it out either as you'd get a similar property cheaper. It's some poor sap that's fallen in love with the place and has been talked up by the EA (His job to be fair). Good lesson for me there as I almost did the same thing.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=737483

Not too far away. A little smaller but the area is much quieter than Fatima.

Moomat wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=737483

Not too far away. A little smaller but the area is much quieter than Fatima.

bizarrely Inchicore is cheaper but there is no supply. unfortunately that road though has major issues with noise transfer. Thank you very much for linking it though a little helping hand has perked me up about the whole thing. :)

bizarrely Inchicore is cheaper but there is no supply. unfortunately that road though has major issues with noise transfer. Thank you very much for linking it though a little helping hand has perked me up about the whole thing. :)

There's loads of vacant houses around that area but maybe some people are waiting for prices to increase. Keep an eye on them! :)
    I live right beside that street and never noticed any noise issues. We back onto the park in the Oblates church and its a great view to the rear. Never any trouble in the park either.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. I love the general area and would happily recommend it to any (clued-in) twenty-somethings & young couples. It hurt to have to leave the area and move to a much more "boring" area but living there for a number of years is a bit like extreme sports, exhilarating but with a risk factor that occasionally bites you on the bum. It's perfect for renting but for buying & living long term, not so much. D8 (and bits of D7 like Stoneybatter) is home to that arty hippy vibe that you don't really get in bland SoCoDu but it's also home to some of the most-hardened scumbags in the entire country.

I also don't think gentrification is going to win the battle between the James hospital & Rialto luas stops and anyone living in the immediate vicinity of that area really needs to weigh up the risks of making a big financial commitment to live there.

Seeing as the area is ideal renting country, that particular house represents extremely poor value. You'd need over €1600 a month rent to get 8% gross yield and that's really not feasible for the area. I wouldn't dream of going below such a yield for such a risky area.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

They're so busy at the moment that unless there is a good reason to call you back they won't. Smug bastards with good reason at the moment, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for estate agents at the moment.

Best of luck with it.

Oh my god couldn't have said it better myself there!! They are being smug asses right now! Before Xmas they were annoying me with calls n emails now, you can't get hold of them at all!!
    Ciaran I'm having same prob with two houses on market both in Dublin nth, I'm wondering if we're looking at same one but I rang twice every day this wk n still nothing!! So am walking away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

I lived near there a few years ago and still have relatives who live there.
    No way in hell would I bring my kids up living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

People have to be having a laugh! Went to see this today -

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/28-reuben-street-south-circular-road-rialto-dublin-8/2716497

nice house, right by the Fatima Luas stop so not the best area fair few interesting characters around. Really like the house so thought we might go as high as 225K which I though was high but frankly it's worth it for the convenience of it being bang on what we want decor-wise. €246K already, been on less than two weeks. People are mental!

I think its a shocking area personally wouldnt consider that house in a million years as nice as it is.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/five-injured-in-spate-of-stabbing-attacks-in-dublin-29504193.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

There's loads of vacant houses around that area but maybe some people are waiting for prices to increase. Keep an eye on them! :)
    I live right beside that street and never noticed any noise issues. We back onto the park in the Oblates church and its a great view to the rear. Never any trouble in the park either.

I lived up that way for nearly 20 years, used to be fairly quiet, and while not devoid of trouble wasn't anything you'd likely not experience in most places from time to time. However over the last maybe 4 years, it seems to have gotten much worse, mindless vandalism really - car windows repeatedly smashed, cars set on fire, house windows smashed. I'm out of there now a couple of years but still visit regularly as I have an elderly relative up there - and tbh I very much worry about them up there now while I would not have in the past.

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    I lived up that way for nearly 20 years, used to be fairly quiet, and while not devoid of trouble wasn't anything you'd likely not experience in most places from time to time. However over the last maybe 4 years, it seems to have gotten much worse, mindless vandalism really - car windows repeatedly smashed, cars set on fire, house windows smashed. I'm out of there now a couple of years but still visit regularly as I have an elderly relative up there - and tbh I very much worry about them up there now while I would not have in the past.

D.

I'm here about 7 years and haven't encountered anything serious like that. Before I would have a good few vans and cars parked on the street and I think once I had somebody try to break into something. Considering it's on street parking that's very likely anyway.

What part is all this trouble happening?

My elderly neighbours have my mobile number and know they can call 24/7 but they biggest problem they ever called me with is not being able to find text messages on their phone! :)

The fact that either of you look in on your elderly neighbours has restored my faith in humanity for today! :)

The fact that either of you look in on your elderly neighbours has restored my faith in humanity for today! :)

Check back tomorrow when I'll be saving puppies from the canal! :)

When I were a young lad, my niceness to elderly grandparents was primarily motivated by the prospect of sweets!

When I were a young lad, my niceness to elderly grandparents was primarily motivated by the prospect of sweets!

I've probably never fully grown up so! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

What part is all this trouble happening?

Ring Terrace/Street and O'Donoghue St (towards Nash Street) seem(s/ed) to be the route of destruction. Generally in the early hours of a Saturday or Sunday morning when they've drank their bottles of JD and/or Bud and decide to deposit the empties through a car or house window.

D.

dinnyirwin wrote: »
    I lived near there a few years ago and still have relatives who live there.
    No way in hell would I bring my kids up living there.

That's the clincher really. It's a perfect rental area but not for families long term so prices should either be determined by the rental market + yields or what social welfare are prepared to pay for people not renting privately.

The only way gentrification will work long-term is if they teleport the scumbags "somewhere else".

dazberry wrote: »
    Ring Terrace/Street and O'Donoghue St (towards Nash Street) seem(s/ed) to be the route of destruction. Generally in the early hours of a Saturday or Sunday morning when they've drank their bottles of JD and/or Bud and decide to deposit the empties through a car or house window.

D.

I live on one of those streets and travel the others at all times of the day/night and never encountered random vandalism like you described. I also know many people around there and never heard complaints like that. Maybe the incidents you refer to are more targeted rather than random and as such don't effect many so I haven't heard about them. That particular stretch is actually famous for it's politicians called Joan, Ms Burton and Ms Collins!
    If I had 1 complaint it would be the rubbish on the street sometimes, the street sweepers seem to overlook the area. I think it's down to dogs ripping rubbish bags as we don't have wheely bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

gmisk wrote: »
    I think its a shocking area personally wouldnt consider that house in a million years as nice as it is.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/five-injured-in-spate-of-stabbing-attacks-in-dublin-29504193.html

You would want to be out of your mind, seriously that area is not a place I like even passing through. That's the reason for the rises in SCD who'd want to bring their kids up in that and pay that price for the privilege?

Question, which is a worse deal moving into an area like that or moving outside Dublin and commuting?

And yes I do commute, but interested to hear other peoples opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

That's the clincher really. It's a perfect rental area but not for families long term so prices should either be determined by the rental market + yields or what social welfare are prepared to pay for people not renting privately.

The only way gentrification will work long-term is if they teleport the scumbags "somewhere else".

Gentrification is a gradual process, and it usually begins in high rental areas like Rialto, Dolphins Barn and the SCR. The whole point of gentrification is that "scumbags" are gradually, over time, priced out of the area and displaced.

The only factor, to my mind, which could prevent or reduce the rate of gentrification are the large social housing complexes in these areas.

But in every other respect these areas are sure to gentrify. The centrality, housing stock and 'character' of these areas are all typical of other places which have undergone gentrification. Similarly the social demographics are also typical. Add to the mix the crazy houseprices and lack of supply in SCD and the generational displacement of higher net individuals to other parts of the city - of which the factors above influence the gentrification process in areas such as these.

The gentrification of these areas is observable as it is.

coolemon wrote: »
    Gentrification is a gradual process, and it usually begins in high rental areas like Rialto, Dolphins Barn and the SCR. The whole point of gentrification is that "scumbags" are gradually, over time, priced out of the area and displaced.

The only factor, to my mind, which could prevent or reduce the rate of gentrification are the large social housing complexes in these areas.

But in every other respect these areas are sure to gentrify. The centrality, housing stock and 'character' of these areas are all typical of other places which have undergone gentrification. Similarly the social demographics are also typical. Add to the mix the crazy houseprices and lack of supply in SCD and the generational displacement of higher net individuals to other parts of the city - of which the factors above influence the gentrification process in areas such as these.

The gentrification of these areas is observable as it is.

You skirt it in your next paragraph but how do people who don't pay for their housing get priced out of it?

coolemon wrote: »

Ringsend/Irishtown has a huge amount of social housing, probably the majority of the residents if not now then very recently and that did nothing to hinder the gentrification of those areas.

I agree, all these places inside the M50 will become more desirable eventually and I think many of the no go area will lie in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ringsend/Irishtown has a huge amount of social housing, probably the majority of the residents if not now then very recently and that did nothing to hinder the gentrification of those areas.

I agree, all these places inside the M50 will become more desirable eventually and I think many of the no go area will lie in the suburbs.

I honestly don't see how, it didn't happen in the boom, when people were buying apartments in Dolphins Barn, maybe in fifty years time, but there's generations of people living in these areas.

Ringsend/Irishtown is a totally different kettle of fish that's essentially Dublin 4 and is bordering on Sandymount, and is next to the sea, I can see how people priced out of Sandymount would look to Ringsend, which has a village and maintains that village feel.

I don't think people priced out of Ranelagh will look to Rialto, which doesn't have the bohemian look or feel of ringsend/irsihtown, and lets not forget those areas proximity to the dart.

The Spider wrote: »
    I honestly don't see how, it didn't happen in the boom, when people were buying apartments in Dolphins Barn, maybe in fifty years time, but there's generations of people living in these areas.

Ringsend/Irishtown is a totally different kettle of fish that's essentially Dublin 4 and is bordering on Sandymount, and is next to the sea, I can see how people priced out of Sandymount would look to Ringsend, which has a village and maintains that village feel.

I don't think people priced out of Ranelagh will look to Rialto, which doesn't have the bohemian look or feel of ringsend/irsihtown, and lets not forget those areas proximity to the dart.

Ringsend/Irishtown was far from bohemian when the process started there. Yes it has alot going for it that sped up the process but it shows that if there is sufficient demand then it will gentrify.
    I think the next major development to happen to Dublin will be inside the M50. There's potential to massivly increase the population and have services on your doorstep rather than having endless suburbs. Look at the Nass road from the Redcow to Bluebell. This area is prime for building quality housing rather than the low rise industrial sites on it now. Development like that will change areas the same way it did Ringsend in the late 90's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

You skirt it in your next paragraph but how do people who don't pay for their housing get priced out of it?

It could happen if DCC gets enough pressure by developers/citizens to knock the social housing and move them further afield. That's usually what happens in gentrification. All those flats are an eyesore.

Most cities now have the areas built up around the hubs with swanky apartments and townhouses for working professionals. Dublin should follow suit.

I have no issue with social housing at all and don't tar those who live in it with the same brush. However, congesting small areas with social housing, along with squashing the number of methadone clinics, addiction centers, etc into a low mile radius was asking for trouble.

It would be better to break up the social housing units and spread them out across the city. I'm sure there's plenty of elderly/families in those units that don't want to live amongst the anti-social element either.

Advertisement