Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to an post

Options
  • 20-01-2014 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

selling a few watches online and went to post one today and the guy at the post office said they do not insure jewellry
    so i need a cheap alternative
    ups wants 58 euro which is a bit crazy
    any ideas would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

is it within Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

its normally to the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Most couriers will limit cover to loss and not damage.

Parcelmotel to the uk is €14.50 to a parcel up to 8 x 38 x 64cm
    The have limited liability of jewelry you can purchase extra cover when sending but best to ask them about it if they are very high value.

Also take a look at http://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ you can book gls, nightline and other through them at a reduced price, this is a collect and deliver service again limited liability.

I was thinking of parcel motel, I really need it to be signed for, and the last time I used them the person didn't have to sign for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you can send it but not insure it,use tracking and signature

they PakSafe service

http://www.gjis.co.uk/web/lib/03_Risk%20Management/11_PakSafe%20Flyer.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,143 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe pop into your local jewelers and ask who they use especially for ordering and delivery of one off items or repairs etc. You dont obviously want to tell them why you want to know but sure invent some story like "I bought a necklace/watch/ring or whatever a few years ago from you and I want to post it to my bother/sister/aunt or whatever in the UK" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I was thinking of parcel motel, I really need it to be signed for, and the last time I used them the person didn't have to sign for it

Balls, I suppose you have no idea who delivers it on the other end, i they have a deal with yodel, hermes, collect plus etc. they'd be as likely to drop kick it into your neighbours garden as look for a signature.

parceldelivery.ie do ups express next day delivery for €25 but also exclude jewelry.

I think the only one that you can officially use really with insurance is the paksafe on from an post that insured to €2500. I just read that the minimu packsafe order is 10 envelopes maybe a friendlyejewler will post them for you for a few quid.

parcel motel use royal mail, wouldnt be great for my needs as the person could say they never got the item and claim the money back via paypal

parcel 2 go using gls are 16 euro, doesnt say if its signed for at the other end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

use an post registered and tell them something of equal value is in it rather than jewelry, at least if it goes missing you will get the value back.

• Advertisement

I like your thinking, I was going to say antique ornament

well i posted 2 watches to uk and one to texas with anpost they arrived no problem but i declared them as watch parts for value purposes.

well i posted 2 watches to uk and one to texas with anpost they arrived no problem but i declared them as watch parts for value purposes.

How would you prove value of the watch if it went missing ?

How would you prove value of the watch if it went missing ?

you dont have to prove the value if something goes missing,the responsibility is on them to deliver and thats why you insure.
    however should it come to that i would find an expensive item online ( winder, face,case, strap etc) and say this is what i posted and here is the cost of a replacement.

Advertisement