Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Core workout in component lifting

• 20-01-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering if the core is taken care of when doing component lifting like squat and dead-lifts. I do the 5x5 lifting and wondering if i need to add some sit ups to the end. I enjoy lifting weights...hate sit-ups!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

carbonkid wrote: »
    Im just wondering if the core is taken care of when doing component lifting like squat and dead-lifts. I do the 5x5 lifting and wondering if i need to add some sit ups to the end. I enjoy lifting weights...hate sit-ups!

Your core will be worked but strengthening it will benefit your lifts.

Do planks instead of sit-ups though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Crunches , and leg raises are good , just crunch your abs don't use your lower back and sit up. Planks are great if you've gotten to a few minutes stick a weight on your back to make it harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Your core will be worked but strengthening it will benefit your lifts.

Yea i was afraid of that. I dont mind plank too much, can manage plank position for 2mins X3. If i do that say 3 times a week then i dont need to bother with sit ups and leg raises and all that?

Yea i was afraid of that. I dont mind plank too much, can manage plank position for 2mins X3. If i do that say 3 times a week then i dont need to bother with sit ups and leg raises and all that?

People get it into their head that they should be looking to hold position forever.

You'd be better served by doing them with a weight on your back and holding that way. When you can do 3 sets of 45s with a 20kg plate on your back, up the weight.

I wouldn't rule out crunches or leg raises. They all perform a function and they'll help with your lifts.

If you do something just to tick the "I worked the core today" box, then you'll sell yourself short.

A strong core will improve your compound lifts.

But hey, it's just advice, man.

You can do whatever the FÚCK you wanna do.

Yea thats what i was looking for...advise. Crunches and leg raises are important to improve my compound lifts. No avoiding them!

Thanks ;o)

• Advertisement

Yea thats what i was looking for...advise. Crunches and leg raises are important to improve my compound lifts. No avoiding them!

Thanks ;o)

A strong core will make a big difference. Hip flexors have a small role but they play a role in activating your glutes for squatting and deadlifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Neglecting core work will make your compound lifts suffer.
    I noticed it held me back, Now I do a lot more core at the end of each session and compounds namely squats and OHP feel a lot more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kaloma

component lifting
    Quality Typo, I couldn't even remember the correct phrase after reading that!
    Weighted roll outs are great too. Going to try the weighted planks as well because breathing with a tight abs/core is a skill I have neglected.

Kaloma wrote: »

LOL...that was probably spellcheck too. Yea im happy to blame it on spellcheck!

Kaloma wrote: »
    Weighted roll outs are great too. Going to try the weighted planks as well because breathing with a tight abs/core is a skill I have neglected.

I never really tried going beyond 1:45 or 2 mins in plank per set but I'd do a couple of sets.

Stuck a 20kg plate on my back and making it through a 30s stint was a lot more difficult than 2 mins without a plate.

30s on, 30s off...rinse and repeat! If discomfort is your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Toes to bar, L hangs and hollow rocks are other options.

Advertisement