Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visiting Limerick

• 20-01-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

I will be visitng limerick soon but which is the best mode of transport if staying in The Maldron Hotel.I will be coming from Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The maldron is a 20 minute walk from the train/bus station. However if you have a car id use that as it would be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ah thats good to know the train/bus station are the same distance.Ive no car.Is it close to town and shops and can you recommend any good bars/restaurants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Its a grand hotel. The only thing against it is, its nestled in to a housing estate. Southill to be exact. I couldnt recommend any of the pubs out that side of town as theyd be too local for some people. However take a stroll in to the town around the milk market area. Theres a lot of pubs there. Personally though on catherine street you have Flannery's which is grand. Across the road u have tom Collinses. And around Thomas street youve a few good ones like mickey martins etc. Depends on your scene really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's a 20 minute walk (at least) to the bus station, but you can add another 10 - 15 minutes to that depending on where you want to go in the city centre.

There are many good bars and restaurants. My recommendations -

Bars
    Mickey Martins
    Curraghower
    Tom Collins
    JJ Bowles
    The Blind Pig
    Bourke's
    Flannery's (Catherine Street)

Restaurants
    Hamptons
    Cornstore
    Bella Italia
    Milanos
    Azur
    Freddy's Bistro

There's many more that could be added to these lists though.

So fromteh htel you be better off getting ataxi to city centre and work your way around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

dubstarr wrote: »
    So fromteh htel you be better off getting ataxi to city centre and work your way around

Definitely, it's a long enough walk into town, especially when you don't know the place.

Ok thanks everyone will be doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Nice hotel, bout 20mins into town. Bus stop also closeby....nestled in around an Aldi shop and a few others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I will be visitng limerick soon but which is the best mode of transport if staying in The Maldron Hotel.I will be coming from Dublin.

If it's not too late I'd cancel and try and book, one of Limerick city hotel ( Old Jury's), Absolute, Pier One or The George. You'll save the price difference ( if any) in taxis.

Thanks everyone were going to Waterford instead.Hotel to far out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's really not that far away. 5 minutes from the city centre in a taxi.

Yes but to get taxis everywhere defeats the purpose of a cheap weekend away.
    We will go to Limerick just not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

There's more than one hotel in Limerick?

You'd get a cheap room in the Pier Hotel or even the George and you're bang in the middle of everything.

Were going through Lidl so thats the reason really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

bit far out of town, and I wouldn't chance walking from that area into town at night. Let's cut to the chase folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

seachto7 wrote: »
    bit far out of town, and I wouldn't chance walking from that area into town at night. Let's cut to the chase folks!

I often wonder when I pass it what impression tourists who stay there must get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Oh, I hope we didn't talk you out of coming to Limerick now.

Enjoy Waterford.

Nah you didnt it just the hotel was too far out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

zulutango wrote: »

There are many good bars and restaurants. My recommendations -

Bars

Flannery's (Catherine Street)

When will you be in Limerick? Flannery's is definitely the place to go for Six Nations matches.

Looking forward to your eventual visit - but as others recommended, a city centre hotel is much better for visitors. The Maldron is great for business, and for sports teams & tour groups, but they aren't quite set up for individuals visiting Limerick on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Buckeye wrote: »
    When will you be in Limerick? Flannery's is definitely the place to go for Six Nations matches.

???

seachto7 wrote: »
    ???

?

Advertisement