Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB 3.0 same speed as 2.0

Options
  • 20-01-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭

Doing my nut in with this issue.
    i have a Asus p8z68-v lx motherboard which has USB3.0 ports ( blue) on them but i only get 20mbps transfer when i write to it, which is the same as usb2.0

I'm transfering from an SSD but i also tried from other HDD, all come up at 20mbps. My key that i'm transferring to is USB 3.0 enabled also.
    updated all drivers and deleted and reinstalled usb controllers also.
    What could it be?

Oh also, usb3.0 is enabled in BIOS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My Asus P8 3.0 are along the bottom of the motherboard, if not connected to the front panel I dont have 3.0

P8P67 board.

What USB stick are you using? Most cheap ones will write slowly anyway regardless of interface.

20Mbps or 20MB/s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Scrap it, my key i'm using is a piece of crap, it's usb 3.0 but 20mbps is what its specced for

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

BUY a drive designed for usb 3,
    copy your data over ,and sell the old drive on adverts.ie .

It's only a 16GB usb key, it's designed for USB 3.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've seen 80 on a decent USB key.

You really need to look at the read write speeds of the drive, preferably some independent reviews.

A lot of the cheaper ones are very slow.
    It's hard to believe that the fastest USB 3.0-rated thumb drives can outperform the hard drive in your desktop PC. On the other hand, the slowest models shouldn't even be allowed USB 3.0 branding. We test 31 different drives to determine the quickest.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-thumb-drive-review,3477.html

beauf wrote: »
    I've seen 80 on a decent USB key.

You really need to look at the read write speeds of the drive, preferably some independent reviews.

A lot of the cheaper ones are very slow.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-thumb-drive-review,3477.html

Great link!
    I got my usb key a good while ago, never really used it but wasn't really familiar with read/write speeds. A lot of cheap tactics used in usb sticks etc, lesson learned anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The USB key your using makes a world of difference that being said I am using what I would call a moderately decent USB 3.0 stick purchased at the end of 2012 and the highest transfer rate I have seen on it is 55 mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if speed is important ,read a review before you buy a drive.
    JUST to be sure its faster than usb 2.

Advertisement