Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given some advice, but now need advice myself???

Options
  • 20-01-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi everyone
    I'm so sorry for what must seem like incessant posts here at the moment, but my head is wrecked and ow really don't know what to do
    This morning, I rang trinity and spoke to the person who runs the social work degree, this was what I was applying for, as I mentioned in yesterday's thread.
    Now, after discussing with her my disability, she mentioned, that it would be almost impossible to find me placements to do throughout the degree, because of my disability. She wasn't anything else accept for very, very nice, and I have to admit, I was glad when I got off the phone with her that she'd been honest, and that I'd found out now, rather than some years into the degree.
    She suggested some alternative routes for me to take. Now, because one of these courses in particular was what I wanted to study in the first place, and because one of the alternative routes that was suggested could take 6 years plus, I am going to go for what would have been my first choice, but what I'm now wondering, is, is social work as difficult as she said?
    Is there a lot of travel involved?
    I'm really just looking for reassurance that I'm not giving up two easily.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi AG,

I don't have much info or advice for you beyond suggesting you try to have a full and frank chat with a qualified and experienced social worker. If you don't know anyone in that role maybe you could make contact with someone through the New Social Workers group: http://newsocialworkers.com/

Also I don't know if you had any career guidance re your course choices but you could check with your local adult guidance service to see what help they might be able to offer. Contact details for all AEGI services are available through the website: http://www.aegai.ie/

Fair play for not giving up. Hope it works out for you.

Advertisement