Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown to Phoenix Park cycle route - public consultation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ozmo wrote: »
    Thats just horrible - all for cycle lanes but not at the expense of local residents and park users who I am sure would miss the trees. Must be a better route than that.
    As they are at the edge of the park I doubt many people use that section. The trees likely provide shelter for drinking and similar activities.

Feel free to make a submission suggesting alternative routings for that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Aw come on they are fantastic super tall old trees, they have huge visual impact.

It used to be the trees in the middle of the park with more undergrowth that are used by teenagers to hang out..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Haven't had a chance to look through the plans yet, but I'd be very sceptical of how well Fingal will implement the details of it. I've walked over the brand-new N3 interchange, and some of the cycling features are mind-boggingly stupid. Off-road cycle paths transitioning to the road surface exactly where filter lanes start, right - turning positions on the left of road lanes etc. I'd worry that someone blindly following them would be in a much worse position than if they used common sense to transition through the junction.

It's been a while since I've gone between Blanch and the Park, but the Castleknock road surface was a pain with manhole covers.

Haven't had a chance to look through the plans yet, but I'd be very sceptical of how well Fingal will implement the details of it. I've walked over the brand-new N3 interchange, and some of the cycling features are mind-boggingly stupid. Off-road cycle paths transitioning to the road surface exactly where filter lanes start, right - turning positions on the left of road lanes etc. I'd worry that someone blindly following them would be in a much worse position than if they used common sense to transition through the junction.
    Then we definitely need your experienced viewpoint to make a submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

At least this new cycle way is been looked into. The safety while cycling with traffic should be propriety number one. I think people would cycle more if cyclists were more protected with e.g. none crossable road strips made of concrete as can be seen on the continent.

• Advertisement

I think people would cycle more if cyclists were more protected with e.g. non-crossable road strips made of concrete as can be seen on the continent.
    Protected from cars! We should get very serious about bad driving and punish the hell out of drivers that put others in any sort of danger.

I don't think that it is possible to build a protective infrastructure for all the roads in the country, so we should tackle the problem that the infrastructure is trying to solve.

I do realise that there are wreckless cyclists. I hate them and the unjustified bad name that they give me. I fully support punishing them with fines etc.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Protected from cars! We should get very serious about bad driving and punish the hell out of drivers that put others in any sort of danger.

I don't think that it is possible to build a protective infrastructure for all the roads in the country, so we should tackle the problem that the infrastructure is trying to solve.

I do realise that there are wreckless cyclists. I hate them and the unjustified bad name that they give me. I fully support punishing them with fines etc.

Concrete raised ribs would do the trick. Wouldn't have to be along the whole cycle way. Enough to rattle the driver when crossed. Alot of drivers are concerned more about their car than other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

If its slowing down & making car drivers more warier of the road ahead. Then a cheaper solution is to have it snow half inch everyday.......

If its slowing down & making car drivers more warier of the road ahead. Then a cheaper solution is to have it snow half inch everyday.......

OK good idea God. Make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

OK good idea God. Make it happen!

Believe me if I could make that happen then there is a few other priorities before that. Dail & earthquakes come to mind.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I don't want to drag this further off topic, but I think building masses of cycling infrastructure in a car-centric country like Ireland is wrongheaded. It's almost universally badly implemented and maintained. As an example, there's a new grade-separated cycle lane near the Liberty Insurance building which is already covered with debris.

Much better to put money into roadcraft training for both cyclists and drivers.

Advertisement