Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thumping noise from hot press

• 20-01-2014 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭

When i turn on oil heating i hav a loud thumping noise from hotpress. Heating works but water is now going up vent pipe to attic. Thumping noise changes when i change speed on pump. I also have a stove connected with its own pump this is not affected.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Any valves or non-return valves on that circuit?
    Is a recent development or did it always do it?
    Has anything changed with the system or was any part drained recently?
    Is it happening when the oil only is on or when both oil & stove is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Mr infomaniac

It only happened this week. Non return valve on pipe from oil boiler. All lever valves to upstairs downstairs and hw are open. It only happens when oil heating is turned on. As soon as circulating pump is stopped noise stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Pump could be faulty. Non-return valve could be stuck. Boiler circuit could have an airlock.
    It would probably be best to call somebody out to have a look.

Think noise is from non return valve near stove. If i turn on pump for stove noise stops. Its a spring type nrv. Could noise be caused by a defective non return valve or is it another problem with system causing valve to open and close? Please help noise is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

Think noise is from non return valve near stove. If i turn on pump for stove noise stops. Its a spring type nrv. Could noise be caused by a defective non return valve or is it another problem with system causing valve to open and close? Please help noise is very annoying.

your best bet would be take the advise in post 4 above

• Advertisement

Dont have money for plumber. Any advise from a plumber would be apreciated. Will drain down system monday and change nrv and hope for best.

Just to update. I replaced non return valve and all is well. No need for an overpriced plumber. Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just to update. I replaced non return valve and all is well. No need for an overpriced plumber. Thanks for replies.

Just out of curiosity, is the non return valve on the pipe that goes from the stove to the cylinder?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

That's a nice comment to give the 3 PLUMBERS that just helped you out for FREE

Non return valve is on feed from stove to rads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement