Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a HTPC with tv tuner a viable alternative to Sky

• 20-01-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if a HTPC with a tv tuner would be a viable alternative to Sky? My parents have Sky but feel that it is no longer worth the money because they don't watch the majority of channels on it. The problem is that they're in a fairly rural area with no fibre service so UPC and eVision are not viable options. I was thinking about making a HTPC for them with a TV tuner but its hard to find reliable information about what channels are available. Would really appreciate some information. I also wouldn't mind splashing out for one either because it will still be money saved in the long run. Also lack of sports and movies is not a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

http://whatson.freesat.co.uk/tvguide/

Those are the channels that are broadcast unencrypted over freesat, which you could pickup with a dvb-s2 card and a satellite dish pointed at 28.2e (where sky dishes point; so you can reuse your current dish. There are also other channels but they are generally of poor quality or special interest). If you are only interested in those channels then it might be simpler get a dedicated freesat receiver, which has the advantage of updating automatically whenever the channels move frequencies.

If you want the Irish channels on the same box (for recording purposes) then you can go the htpc route and also get a dvb-t card and pick them up off a normal antenna, there are combined dvb-s and dvb-t boxes, but they don't use the full freesat epg (now and next only), which is annoying for recording programs.

Personally I built a box with a dvb-s2 card and a dvb-t card and I use mythtv and xbmc on my htpc. This gives me a full epg, the ability to pause tv, and record all the saorview and freesat channels.

Advertisement