Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Just back from our 32 weeks scan. Bubs's kidneys were too big on the 20 week scan so they scheduled this one to see if they were still big. At the time, the doc said that it happens a lot with boys and they mostly resolve themselves by 32 weeks otherwise might need a procedure to widen his tubes or something. I've been trying not to think about it since then, but 12 weeks is a long time! we didn't tell anyone either, no point worrying families at home with a false alarm. And, today all was fine! Kidneys are normal! phew! Was great to see him again! I love the side view of the little face! They measured everything again (although the nurse was flying through it, hubby had a hard time making things out on the screen). Glad to see all was ok after my wee tumble yesterday. He is measuring on the big side, 14lb 12oz, 76 percentile I think. We have two big boys Karmella! The nurse who did the scan was actually asking me what my glucose results were (they were ok) and was a bit concerned that he was too big, but the doc that came in after said it was ok. Like your guy Karmella, he is proportionally fine but a bit big, measuring for 33w4d with long femurs apparently. So perhaps he'll be tall.

One thing that I never get a straight answer for is, how accurate the due dates are and why do they use them for these scans? They are doing all this measuring based off my Sept 16th due date, which is different from the date calculated off my last period. When they did the very first scan measurements they changed the due date to 2 weeks later (which I had expected as my periods were quite long usually). So, it seems a bit much to be sticking so closely to what he should be measuring now based off that date (32 weeks) when he may not be 32 weeks at all, and might be 33 weeks and measuring fine. If you know what I mean?? I just find it all confusing.

That's great news that the kidneys sorted themselves out! Must have been a relief. Our boys are the same size! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

14lb 12oz

Janey mack I hope that's a typo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Dolbert wrote: »
    Janey mack I hope that's a typo ;)

lol! yeah, it is! that should be 4lbs. He'd be an elephant by the time he was full term!

I forgot to say it wasn't all bad news today, it was great to get an unexpected scan and the ultrasound tech gave me a photo of his face which was really sweet of her :) he's a total cutie like his big brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Had my 34+3 antenatal appt today. All going well and the baby is head down. He's taken to wedging himself ony right, and the midwife said it would be great if I can get him towards the middle for labour, so I have a few exercises to try out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

31 weeks today! Single figure countdown now. Have had family drama for the past 2 weeks and on-going and tbh, have had very little time to think pregnancy since. Now with all that going on, I'm thinking the next few weeks are going to fly even faster and I have next to NOTHING done!!I was so casual about waiting til about 30 weeks but never saw this family stuff coming my way so now it's holy crap, why did I not do more before now!! :eek: I also thought that the next few weeks would be about winding down but more like winding up!! Timing...not great!:(

How are you all feeling? Apart from a stressful fortnight, I am good, thankfully but my feet are like balloons in this weather...owie!

Had my 34+3 antenatal appt today. All going well and the baby is head down. He's taken to wedging himself ony right, and the midwife said it would be great if I can get him towards the middle for labour, so I have a few exercises to try out.

Oh mine sits to the right most of the time too. I didn't know it would be an issue later on. Would you mind letting me know what the exercises are? or sending a link or something? Thanks.

Oh mine sits to the right most of the time too. I didn't know it would be an issue later on. Would you mind letting me know what the exercises are? or sending a link or something? Thanks.

She gave me a leaflet from the HSE, saying from 34 weeks it's best to start acting to get your baby in the most optimum position, which is to lie to the front and on the left.

- keep your back higher than your stomach (Avoid lying on your back and sitting long periods with feet raised quite high)
    - when sitting knees should be lower than pelvis
    - sit with back upright and feet together (yoga)
    - Sleep on your side, mostly on left, but both left and right
    - use the gym ball to sit and move on
    - On all fours, wiggle hips from side to side
    - on all fours, arch back like cat, then drop spine and look up
    - sit on dining chair back to front
    - Kneel into armchair and relax over the back of back of it (not sure what that means? )
    - swimming, breast stroke , wearing goggles to keep spine and legs straight
    - crawl on hands and knees for about half an hour
    - avoid squatting

It's not a huge problem if the baby is in a different position, once the head is down. However, getting it in the optimal position means a shorter, less painful labour

You can also check out www.aims.org.uk/posterior
    www.midwifery.co.uk
    www.mother-care.ca/pos_pain

73trix wrote: »
    31 weeks today! Single figure countdown now. Have had family drama for the past 2 weeks and on-going and tbh, have had very little time to think pregnancy since. Now with all that going on, I'm thinking the next few weeks are going to fly even faster and I have next to NOTHING done!!I was so casual about waiting til about 30 weeks but never saw this family stuff coming my way so now it's holy crap, why did I not do more before now!! :eek: I also thought that the next few weeks would be about winding down but more like winding up!! Timing...not great!:(

How are you all feeling? Apart from a stressful fortnight, I am good, thankfully but my feet are like balloons in this weather...owie!

Sorry to hear you are having a stressful time 73trix, it's never easy to have family stress.

I hear you re feet / ankles, mine are the same. Hands too

She gave me a leaflet from the HSE, saying from 34 weeks it's best to start acting to get your baby in the most optimum position, which is to lie to the front and on the left.

- keep your back higher than your stomach (Avoid lying on your back and sitting long periods with feet raised quite high)
    - when sitting knees should be lower than pelvis
    - sit with back upright and feet together (yoga)
    - Sleep on your side, mostly on left, but both left and right
    - use the gym ball to sit and move on
    - On all fours, wiggle hips from side to side
    - on all fours, arch back like cat, then drop spine and look up
    - sit on dining chair back to front
    - Kneel into armchair and relax over the back of back of it (not sure what that means? )
    - swimming, breast stroke , wearing goggles to keep spine and legs straight
    - crawl on hands and knees for about half an hour
    - avoid squatting

It's not a huge problem if the baby is in a different position, once the head is down. However, getting it in the optimal position means a shorter, less painful labour

You can also check out www.aims.org.uk/posterior
    www.midwifery.co.uk
    www.mother-care.ca/pos_pain

Great! Thanks for typing that all out :)

• Advertisement

73trix wrote: »

My feet are bad too, I bought a couple of summery little shoes a few weeks ago, my feet will not go in!

Hope your drama calms down!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

31+5, just in bed very nauseous and dull to sharp pains, feeling like crap. May have over done it today walking in the heat! Hoping it will ease it thought it might be digestive pains or even Braxton hicks, I was at GP's app today and head is down had a right uncomfortable feel of my pelvis

Hoping it will go away so I can sleep, baby shower tomorrow!!

pastry2010 wrote: »
    31+5, just in bed very nauseous and dull to sharp pains, feeling like crap. May have over done it today walking in the heat! Hoping it will ease it thought it might be digestive pains or even Braxton hicks, I was at GP's app today and head is down had a right uncomfortable feel of my pelvis

Could have been a little bit of heat stroke, mind yourself in this weather and make sure you get plenty of fluids!

Best of luck tomorrow at the baby shower, hope you enjoy!

pastry2010 wrote: »

Enjoy the shower! Hope you feel better by then. You'll have to tell us about the shower :) I've never been to an Irish one (or any, for that matter).

I'very started to go thru the baby clothes I have. I think I have way too much for newborn (I haven't bought a single newborn item, they were all gifts!). Not a lot of 0 to 3, so I'll need to buy some soon. 3 to 6 stock is quite ok too. I just hope my little guy fits into the newborn, they only fit 8 to 10 lbs max, and I have a feeling he's going to be a big boy. I'm tempted to go for another private scan to see if.they can give an estimated weight, all the clinic does is feel for position and fundal height.

:eek::eek::eek: you are so organised comongethappy, good woman! You have a good range of size/ages. Did you get a lot of those clothes at the shower? This shower lark is quite a good idea. A word of warning on the scans, apparently they can be up to a pound off which is a lot for a wee baby.

So far I have a) a 'Goodnight Moon' book from our landlady, b) 2 boxes of newborn formula from a friend who gave me the stuff she didn't use in case breastfeeding doesn't go so well, c) two 'don't forget your baby in your car' teddies we got at our antenatal classes even though we don't have a car, and d) identified a drawer that bubs can sleep in if he comes early :pac:

I'm sure it will all be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

You would be surprised how many new born or 0_3 month clothes people will bring you as presents so I'd say hold off on those for a while unless you wanted to get 2 packs or something like that.

On my first I got loads and loads of 0_3 months vests etc and I'm after getting them out of the packs recently and have them ready washed in.drawers as this is baby no 3 as the other 2. Had enough and never worn these

I have room done
    Drawers filled with baby grows vests etc. picture frames ready to get pictures in.
    Nappy s and wipes and cream all ready and stacked!

It's the organised I have ever ever been.
    But this time I feel I have to be. !

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Still don't have a stitch of clothes, poor baby will be wearing a burlap sack! I'm just trying to cope with getting myself through pregnancy and childbirth ; haven't got around to thinking about the realities of parenthood :-)

Any plans for birthing ladies? I'm trying to go natural birth so I've just started hypnobirthing antenatal classes.

Still don't have a stitch of clothes, poor baby will be wearing a burlap sack! I'm just trying to cope with getting myself through pregnancy and childbirth ; haven't got around to thinking about the realities of parenthood :-)

Any plans for birthing ladies? I'm trying to go natural birth so I've just started hypnobirthing antenatal classes.

I'm in the same boat, FBM. Lack of sleep is frying my brain these days and the birth is looming large on my horizon, kind of overshadowing everything else. Probably a common newbie mistake. I was joking with my other half yesterday that we have enough race t-shirts between us that we could clothe bubs in them for the first year! The two girls organising my shower here will probably be the main reason I get anything sorted before he arrives.

The more I read up on it, the more I'm leaning towards going for a natural, drug-free, intervention-free birth, assuming there is no medical need for anything. The very small chances of ending up getting induced or a section with an epi are worth trying to go without it IMO. Birth scares the hell out of me, but I am coming around to the idea that I will be able for it. They don't do gas & air here at all in the US. Our childbirth classes didn't cover anything about non-drug methods to deal with pain. I'm starting to look into hypnobirthing and gentle birth myself. I'd love to know how your find your classes FBM?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Baby Shower was amazing! Everyone very generous, loads of baby baskets with all the essentials, teddies, baby grows 0-3, and a few newborn, sleepsuits, burts bee's & mamma mia sets. My sister and my best friend did the table (photo) it looked amazing got so emotional when I walked in and and saw it! Bless!

Makes everything very exciting now eeek!

• Advertisement

Madeinamerica, yep, pretty much all of these were shower presents, and a good bit from one of my colleagues who had a baby boy in May. People are great and very generous at showers, so don't buy too much before then. I just separated the clothes into sizes to put back into bags at the moment as our place is still a building site for another few weeks. If you are worried about a place for the baby to sleep, you could buy something like the fisher price portable bassinet. It folds away easily so you can move it around the house or pack it away to bring to a minder. I wish I could have fit one to bring back home instead of having a moses basket.

Monflat, you're on top of things! Fair play, I would love to have a baby room ready. I don't think I will get too much more present wise as I already had two baby showers. People were fantastic, but either seemed to buy newborn or 3-6, so I just need to buy a bit of 0-3 to be sorted in case he's not in newborn for too long. I bought some non bio to wash clothes for labour and hospital bags as the midwife said I should have them ready just in case.

Pastry, so glad you enjoyed your shower! Sounds like you got loads of great pressies!

Birthplan, I want to go natural and active. Might use tens machine and gas and air. However, if labour isn't progressing well and if I am getting too tired where I might not have the energy come pushing time or if the baby gets in distress, I am open to intervention. 😨

That photo is only gorgeous. It must have been lovely.

I suppose the only reason I have room ready is from previous experience ! And I'm sick at lookin at clutter.

I've had 2 previous emergency. C sections. So even if it's your first baby My little piece of advice would he even to know what happens throughout a cs just in case . I never ever read about them let alone the recovery period after!

So this time there won't be any choice I'm in for a section getting my date next week.

So another reason why I will be more or less totally confined to one room feeding and building up my supply!!!

On the second me and baby slept in double bed while d husband had d spare room on his own.

In regards to pain relief for my first I had plenty of cd s.and.my own music. Laboured till pushing phase on gas n air and then it was an excruciating rush to theatre. There's the only time where I missed some decent pain relief.

On second remained at home in the bath till 6cm. Hospital then. For. Gas and air and epidural which was a welcome relief.!
    Ended up again at same stage needing c section

Very very very poor wound recovery rate on both getting extremely bad infections with my wound on second opened maybe 5 cm.

I'm not sure of why my body is poor to recover as I was extremely fit n healthy all my life never on antibiotics till my first section.
    I was in gym on second till 34 weeks

So this time Ive discussed and I'm getting iv antibiotics. And oral after that and I'm I'm requesting regular pain relief. For as long as I need
    As by 3 weeks post c s last time I was not able to climb stairs r walk outside 10 metres so for my case I'm dreading the whole lot the hospital stay n the recovery period!!!!

Dying to see baby thou!

Hopes I didn't scare anyone but. A little part of your preparation. Prepare for the unexpected!

Aww pastry that photo is lovely :)

I really didn't have a clue going in last time, but having been through it I think I know what I don't want to do this time ... Well kindof anyway ;) I know I definitely don't want pethidine anyway. It just made me really sick, and I think it slowed everything down.
    Secondly, I need to not take everything the midwife says as gospel. I had done yoga the whole way during the pregnancy and learnt all the breathing. Anyway the time came to push and the midwife told me to hold my breath when pushing. So I did - I guess I was so nervous I just forgot everything I knew - anyway this was the worst thing I could've done. After a very long time of this there was no progress, Eventually they called in the doctor, she took one look at me and said - all you're doing is tightening your neck and face muscles you're not pushing! I was so annoyed!! I was exhausted, and had wasted so much time. Eventually we needed vacuum assistance.

But having said all that I still have no idea how things will go this time! Seeing as baby is so big already anything could happen, and I may need to be induced at 38/39 weeks.

the photo is just gorgeous pastry! looks like it was a lovely shower :)

Thanks for the words of experience, monflat and karmella. You're not scary, it is all good stuff that I'd like to be aware of :)

The section would be my biggest worry as I don't get a lot of maternity leave here and I'd prefer to be up and about with the baby as much as possible before I have to go back, and be in ok shape to go back too.

comongethappy, I was thinking of getting a wee cosleeper crib. The portable bassinet sounds good though, I'll check it out, thanks.

Just doing up my amazon registry for the shower now, so much to choose from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Hi all, I'm a regular reader but not great for posting! Great to read how you're all getting on. Went shopping today for stuff I/we'll need for hospital.

I should say that I have a total hatred of shopping anyway! Totally missing that gene! But anyway, finding it really hard to get nightdresses for labour ward. Dunnes had these horrible things your 80 year old granny would wear (I know no-one will care what I'm wearing, but still!) and pennys had little baby doll type nightdresses... Not suitable at all!

Also, looking for pjs for the hospital stay but the only button front pjs in pennys are heavier fleecy type material which is too warm for hospital in September, or t-shirt type tops which aren't suitable for breastfeeding! Same in dunnes! Obviously I need to broaden my horizons but I don't know where else to look. I went to mothercare and they had pj sets for €45. I'd find it really hard to pay that kind of money for pjs!

I was looking for nursing bras too but this also stumped me! I've gone up just one bra size so far but how am I meant to know what size I'll need once I'm feeding?! I'm presuming that my breasts will be bigger once I'm feeding but how do I know how big?!

God I sound like an awful moaning Minnie but felt so disheartened coming home empty handed and really had to stop myself crying in mothercare (damn hormones)!

EllieB wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a regular reader but not great for posting! Great to read how you're all getting on. Went shopping today for stuff I/we'll need for hospital.

I should say that I have a total hatred of shopping anyway! Totally missing that gene! But anyway, finding it really hard to get nightdresses for labour ward. Dunnes had these horrible things your 80 year old granny would wear (I know no-one will care what I'm wearing, but still!) and pennys had little baby doll type nightdresses... Not suitable at all!

Also, looking for pjs for the hospital stay but the only button front pjs in pennys are heavier fleecy type material which is too warm for hospital in September, or t-shirt type tops which aren't suitable for breastfeeding! Same in dunnes! Obviously I need to broaden my horizons but I don't know where else to look. I went to mothercare and they had pj sets for €45. I'd find it really hard to pay that kind of money for pjs!

I was looking for nursing bras too but this also stumped me! I've gone up just one bra size so far but how am I meant to know what size I'll need once I'm feeding?! I'm presuming that my breasts will be bigger once I'm feeding but how do I know how big?!

God I sound like an awful moaning Minnie but felt so disheartened coming home empty handed and really had to stop myself crying in mothercare (damn hormones)!

Hi there.
    I know how you feel coming home from an.intended day shopping with nothing.

All I can say is any large type night shirt will do grand. I felt that the boobs get so bloody sore anyway and your nipples if they get cracked you won't want anything rubbing off them

O found that once it's time to feed in.Hospital I pulled curtains around i just stripped off my top or I had a few vest tops.and just took down strap.
    Invest in.a few Muslims if you need more coverage. But once getting the hang of feeding you won't want to be fussing with clothes as little babies get very very impatient!!!

Once I got home I stripped off and let the air in at d boobs

No matter how good baby's latch was I still got extremely painfull.nipples.

In.regards to the bra maybe get measured for just one bra soon and checkout the breastfeeding forum on here there are plenty of recommendation s of feeding bras.

Last time around i didn't bother with too many feeding tops some can be somewhat awkward

I think the best nursing bras can be found online. As.none of the major stores which cater for mother and baby are that great in my opinion anyways
    Theres different hooks and fastenings and some of the openings are very fiddly and awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EllieB

Thanks Monflat, I feel so clueless but will check out the breast feeding forum! I started out the day grumpy so probably should have left the shopping until the mind frame was better!!!

I feel your pain Ellie - its so hard to know what to buy!! Regarding PJ's I was only doing my buying at the weekend and what I went for was dark coloured pj bottoms in penneys and they have maternity vest tops (with the clip that you pull down) so I picked up a couple of them. You wont really need a bra when you are in hospital anyway and these tops have a bit of support. I will say that they are a bit snug though - so try and go up a size (or 2) if you can. Mothercare and anywhere else that sells maternity clothes has these vest tops aswell and they are handy enough when you are at home too. I think I really only wore a nursing bra if I was leaving the house, and I only bought them a couple days after I got home. The key anyway is to try and keep as cool as possible - I just didn't stop sweating from the time I entered the maternity hospital until I left!!

For labour I just wore a t-shirt type nightie (with a Superwoman symbol on the front :D ) I didn't bother with a button down granny one. Just pulled it all the way up for the skin-to-skin. This was in the delivery ward and they were busy stitching me up (had a bit of a tear) anyway and I didn't care one jot what I looked like. Just changed into PJ's as soon as I could then. I actually had bought a few sets of PJs with vest type tops and just pulled them down for feeding, as monflat said, you could just use a muslin / blanket to cover up if someone (like your dad lol) comes to visit while baba is having dinner :)

Go for the darkest colours you can - especially for pj bottoms and cheap granny knickers - because afterwards its like the worst period you've ever had multiplied by 10 .... ick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls sticking my.nose in from June thread!

Dunnes do some button down granny nightdresses which i wore for labour and they are cool and comfortable at least:-)

M and S do decent maternity bras and have a good fitting service!

The purple lanolin nipple cream from boots is amazing to start using straight away and is safe enough that you dont need to clean it off before feeds. Also multivitamins are great to have as youll be wrecked and I got great breastfeeding ones from pregnacare but theyre perfect to use even if you choose bottle feeding (Im doing both!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tishandy

Hey Ladies, I am a real lurker, think I have posted 3 times here but its getting closer for all of us thank God.
    I'm due 2nd Sept but have my c section booked for 26th august and it feels like years away. I'm so tired all the time, doesn't help I have two at home including a nearly 2 yr old who has me run ragged.
    Two weeks ago I spent a few days in hospital because of pre term labour brought on by a kidney infection.
    To be honest I don't know if I really had one. I had no pain all my urine tests were clear then one nurse said she found nitrates in a sample and all samples clear afterward :confused:. Anyway I went on an antibiotic and then got the flu (Just my luck) .
    I had not a thing ready!
    I was in hospital with my raggedy at home pjs that are shrunken and mismatched and not a nappy or babygro as they were giving me steroids to prepare babys lungs. Thank God the contractions stopped the next day.
    So I have washed all my baby clothes and popped them in drawer and have ordered bits like Mat pads , breastpads etc starting to get hospital bag ready.
    I'd recommend everyone bring cheap flip flops that you bin when you leave hospital to wear in the shower. Also try to get a light dressing gown in cotton (They have nice ones in heatons) as the fleecy ones are too warm for the hospital.
    Definitely bring your own pillow from home, When I was in two weeks ago I forgot they have Plastic pillows in the hospitals and all they do is make your head and neck sweaty and uncomfortable at night.
    I have the cot washed sitting in the back garden waiting to be sanded and painted today so hopefully the rain stays off :)

Advertisement